Broccoli recipes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Broccoli recipes

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
if you have leftover steamed broccoli, you can sauté it really quickly in the pan with a little olive oil, a clove of crushed garlic, and salt/pepper. only takes maybe 30 seconds to a minute to heat it through (whereas broccoli normally takes an eternity in the pan) and it makes a really good side. you can also just microwave the broccoli in water for a couple minutes beforehand instead of properly steaming it.

i always have leftover steamed broccoli and/or greens to do this with. also love having it around for a broccoli-cheddar omelet.
Blanching is a good way to get a head start on sautéing broccoli as well.

Reaction Score
Big fan of oven roasting. I also add some red pepper flakes.

Also, try air frying them. Brussels Sprouts are amazing in the air fryer, but broccoli is solid also.

Of course, since the OP asked about different preparation, a broccoli soup is great and heading towards the right season.

Finally, I'm a big fan of a slaw with shaved broccoli over cabbage. I like a cabbage slaw, but broccoli is a nice change. Maybe more for summer, but putting it out there.
If someone else didn't say this, I was going to.

The convection setting (if you have one) in the oven at 425 or so has been an absolute revelation for getting flavorful (if well seasoned), crispy vegetables -- broccoli, cauliflower, squash, etc.

Getting a little char on the florets is key.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Solid thread, with a surprisingly quick and full set of responses, and even a few surprises.

My recent variation on how others have described setting broccoli up to be a versatile staple for an number of uses concentrates on the microwave and the air fryer.

I have a microwave steaming basket that goes into a coverable microwave pot. 3 minutes is reliable to create a supply of softened, edible, dark green florets, which are cut before cooking. Aa others have said, they can be added to pasta dishes, tossed into salads, served as a simple sided dish, sautéed with a many different spice mixes and/or melted dairy and/or sauces.

I really enjoy spicing and reheating the florets in the air fryer until they start to brown & crisp at the edges.

Reaction Score
Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder then put it right on the grill. It's the only way we cook it now. Char is necessary. my 4yr old and 1 yr old love it this way too...

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone! I’ve been using a toaster oven that does have convection setting as we are remodeling, so I’ll try it like so many have suggested.

How about combined into a casserole, any recipes to recommend?

Reaction Score
Roasting broccoli or any vegetable esp brussel sprouts is really good - a little Parmesean or balsamic glaze (easy to make your own) works great. I use a Maple-Dijon Vinaigrette on the sprouts. Can try Broccoli Salad with Bacon - I make one with red onion, carrots, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and of course bacon - keeps in fridge for 5-7 days

Reaction Score
You can partially steam the broccoli while in a 10-12" frying pan add olive oil (more is good), lot's of garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add the part boiled broccoli and sauté with oil and garlic mixture. Boil any short style pasta. Drain water, reserve a cup of that starchy water, add pasta to broccoli, garlic and oil and toss...more olive oil is good here, if you see the pasta and broccoli mixture getting "dry" add some of that reserved pasta water until you get a nice sauce. Plate it and top with parmesan cheese. Note: get the real Parmigiano Reggiano chunk and grate it yourself on top of that pasta...you and your guests will be glad you did. If you do try and like it, try it with different shape pastas.

View attachment 70015
when I make a dish similar to this i use chicken broth instead if the starchy Pasta water..I find it to ta a bit more favorabl.

Reaction Score
I cook sliced almonds in butter until the almonds are brown and poor over steamed broccoli for the win

Reaction Score
Cut into floret. Olive oil and Italian seasoning or whatever spices you like and toss on the grill.

I grill them 2-3x a week, pretty much like that. Tossed with olive oil and some spices (maybe a little garlic salt, Italian seasoning, little pepper) and some strips of fresh peppers and just wrapped in a big thing of tinfoil...maybe a dab of butter on each end. Throw 'em on the grill...it's always cooked enough for me, but obviously the longer you leave it on, the doner it gets. If leaving 'em on there for a while, poke a hole in the foil and pour in a little beer. I've found when you do throw in some peppers, it all tastes better when you cook it a little longer. (I could never stand peppers...until I started grilling them this year) ETA: Reminded by an above post....grate some fresh parm on top after serving. Then again, grating fresh parm on anything is a win.

Reaction Score
Broccoli Marinara

Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 25 mins
Yield: 4 servings
1lb box pasta of choice. ( I prefer shells)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup of basil (fresh preferred)
1 pound broccoli florets
2 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Granted Pecorino Romano cheese

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in the tomatoes with their juices, and simmer until the liquid has reduced by about 1/2. Place the broccoli on top of the tomatoes, and season with a little salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Do not over cook the broccoli, it should be a vibrant green. Pour over pasta into a serving dish, and toss to blend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Broccoli Marinara

Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 25 mins
Yield: 4 servings
1lb box pasta of choice. ( I prefer shells)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup of basil (fresh preferred)
1 pound broccoli florets
2 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Granted Pecorino Romano cheese

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in the tomatoes with their juices, and simmer until the liquid has reduced by about 1/2. Place the broccoli on top of the tomatoes, and season with a little salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Do not over cook the broccoli, it should be a vibrant green. Pour over pasta into a serving dish, and toss to blend.
Forgot, chop basil in at the same time as tomatoes are put in.

Reaction Score
I am not a huge broccoli fan, but this works and is a really nice presentation to boot:

Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder then put it right on the grill. It's the only way we cook it now. Char is necessary. my 4yr old and 1 yr old love it this way too...
That is a big part of the beauty of it...people that hate ...love it cooked like this. The grill is almost magical that way.....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Salt is critical. Ground Himalayan or sea salt seems to help. Often we just steam, but when grilling I like to grill the broccoli on foil or a grill sheet, tiny bit of olive oil and some tarragon and other herbs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Salt is critical. Ground Himalayan or sea salt seems to help. Often we just steam, but when grilling I like to grill the broccoli on foil or a grill sheet, tiny bit of olive oil and some tarragon and other herbs.
And here I thought you didn't eat anything green or nuanced.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And here I thought you didn't eat anything green or nuanced.

I don't like anything green, except maybe an arugula salad, avocados and asparagus. I do eat them because I'd rather live than die. I draw the line at Brussel's sprouts though. Cauliflower is also gross (although not green) even if you try to make it into cheesy masked potatoes or pizza crust.

Asparagus benefits from grilling, and some lemon, even more than broccoli.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom