Briscoe to Kentucky | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Briscoe to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is hard to make the case that any of Calipari's lottery picks wouldn't have been lottery picks if they had gone somewhere else. You can make the case that they want to play at Kentucky because it gives them a shot at a title, but there are 20 schools that can make that same representation credibly. Why does Kentucky get 4 McD AA's a year? The Harrison twins could be 3 or 4 year players. I like both their games, but they aren't jaw dropping athletes and their speed is average to below average for NBA guards. Players like them have to be pretty polished to go to the League, so there is no guarantee that they are leaving next year. Briscoe could end up sitting TWO years at Kentucky. So why commit?

I believe there are 7 hamburger boys on the Kentucky roster right now. Why on earth would they all go there?

Like I said, NO ONE is that good a salesman.

Just ask UMass, Memphis, and the NCAA how good of a salesman Coach Cal is ;)

Reaction Score
There's no content in your original post except the misspelled names. That's pretty much all there was to comment on, when you consider neither player was expected to come to UConn.

Thanks for the revue. Oops, another misspelled word. Review .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only parts that huts (at least to me) is losing a local kid (UConn is the nearest major program to Jersey) to another school, no matter who the kid is. Plus, as others have said, we wants kids who want to win National Championships at UConn. Kentucky is for kids who want to be a NBA lottery pick after their first year. Those two do not always match.

Great point.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How is it that Kentucky can just stockpile guys and nobody worries about playing time?

By simply attending to UK, you have a chance at being drafted first round.

Oh and straight cash (homie) in your pocket helps too.

Reaction Score
only Tate came out of NJ to help huskies

this came to light when a state by state analysis was done for significant recruits to huskies since mid 1960's

hypothesis: NJ does not have many prospects or huskies are disdained by all in NJ
conclusion: huskies need to increase recruiting in foreign nations and junior clg ranks since huskies have very few pipelines since above time frame and need to add recruiter to staff for cross fertilization from outside family and just stop the incest already

Reaction Score

I also wonder if uk is simply the cool place to play for these kids. I mean like the place to be, or you have become validated. Cool factor has been always a teenager's attraction.

Many of us think its about Championships, FFs or some other attraction. Just maybe we are wrong and uk is simply just hot right now. Not sure why UConn fan would feel threatened, envious or jealous.

We have proven to be fine with whoever we get, plus we have a fine coach. Let uk be uk and UConn be UConn. I have to believe the majority of fans would love to be where we are and where they are.

Can we at some point, especially now that the season starts we can stop looking behind us at uk?

Reaction Score
All of these Mickey D's going to the same program (Kentucky) years ago would not have been possible. Plus, to a lesser degree, I don't understand as these 'Big X' teams have only had limited championship success. I think it's a change in attitude among players from wanting to be the best by beating the best to winning Championships to if I play with a dozen other all-stars on this college team, more scouts will see me and the faster I will get out of purgatory (college) and to the promised land (NBA). Jordan said it best when LeBron and Bosch agreed to join Wade in Miami few years back - 'I Want to beat them, not play for them.' After all, what would have been lost if Magic and Bird played on the same college team, or Ewing and Mullin, etc.?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just ask UMass, Memphis, and the NCAA how good of a salesman Coach Cal is ;)

People point out that Calipari's success at UK is the reason for his recruiting success, but that doesn't explain why he was getting top classes the moment he arrived at Kentucky. And I don't buy the Kentucky factor because Tubby Smith was booted after struggling to get top recruits.

IMO (I know many others share it), there's a shady process going on around Calipari and that process is probably more refined than what took place at UMass and Memphis. It may or may not be $ directly given to recruits but there are ways to funnel promises and/or monies to mentors of these kids and have it done by someone not connected with Kentucky or Kentucky's coaches. Imo Calipari orchestrated it or agreed to it making him totally aware of it.

I'm always amazed at the extent of corruption both in degree and duration both in and out of sports. UNC's scandal lasted how long? And it was only exposed because one person out of hundreds had the courage to stand up to it. If that person didn't come along, how much longer would it have lasted?

I'm not cynical to think every program is cheating, but neither am I naive to think every program is clean and recruiting success is due to a coach being an excellent recruiter. My radar is focused on three programs in addition to UK. I could be wrong about them but there is something not adding up that keeps me focused on them. In their case, my hunch is boosters are the problem and the coaches are not involved. I'm positive I'm missing others that are dirty as dirt, (I missed UNC for example) but usually when my radar is up, there is a mess and it eventually gets revealed.

pj

Reaction Score
Briscoe wants the easy path, he wants the NBA and it's millions and he wants them sooner than later. And Kentucky can all but assure him of that.

Don't get this at all. Attending Kentucky doesn't do anything to improve your draft status. Kentucky can't assure anyone of a better NBA status than they would get by going to UConn.

Reaction Score
Don't get this at all. Attending Kentucky doesn't do anything to improve your draft status. Kentucky can't assure anyone of a better NBA status than they would get by going to UConn.
It's only partly to do with the school, Calipari and the Sports Leader keep the hype going. If enough people talk about something, a myth gets perpetuated. How else do you explain the Daniel Orton's and Archie Goodwin's of the world?

Reaction Score
It's only partly to do with the school, Calipari and the Sports Leader keep the hype going. If enough people talk about something, a myth gets perpetuated. How else do you explain the Daniel Orton's and Archie Goodwin's of the world?

This is so spot on and using these 2 is exactly what Cal is about. These 2 should have stayed one or 2 more years but instead he had people coming in whom he promised playing time....key word is promised - there's no doubt he does that. And instead of sitting them down in his office and telling them "This is where you are going to get drafted now, this year but if you stay another year or 2 i all get you to this point" Instead the fraud snake oil salesman pushes them out the door to bring in some more kids who have no idea what he is really about. The guy is a fraud and the program is too. Anyone can win a lot of games with that talent but can you make them better players, kids and can you do that without McD AA's? Pretty simple why he needed to go to his "5 in - 5 out" this year because he got blindsided by people like the brothers, Johnson, Stein and Poythress staying.

He sucks

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Exactly my thinking. Most NBA GM's Are as susceptible to the hype as anyone.

Orton, while well sized (why he was drafted, averaged about 3pts 3rbds per game at UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom