Brimah | The Boneyard

Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Missed game today, how was he? Was he pushed around? Better rebounding?

Reaction Score
I'm done concerning myself about Brimah. He's ok. He's slowly getting better. He's clumsy, but he can catch an alley oop. He's less of a pu***, but still a pu***. If we are lucky the rest of the team will continue to improve and Brimah will add a timely block on occasion.

Reaction Score
His typical mixed bag. 4 baskets were dunks and the other was a short jumper that he got a member's bounce on. He blocked a couple and altered a handful creating moderate difficulties in the paint for OSU. 2 rebounds, its just not enough but I don't think it is a good use of time to hope that part of his game is ever going to improve.

The most frustrating part of his game today was his lack of ability to catch short dish passes. He should have had another 3-4 dunks on decent to good passes down low that he fumbled out of bounds. They should run a drill where Brimah faces the wall and on the whistle he quickly turns around with a member of the soccer team waiting to fire a ball at him.

Reaction Score
They should run a drill where Brimah faces the wall and on the whistle he quickly turns around with a member of the soccer team waiting to fire a ball at him.
Do him like they did Goldberg in Mighty Ducks

Reaction Score
Depends what his aspirations are. He's not ready for the NBA, but could maybe play in Turkey, China, Greece, etc.

He's very limited.

Maybe he leaves and attempts to go pro. Lol

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He had 2 rebounds, so yea he got pushed around..

Didnt see him get pushed around all that much. Just wasnt in the right positions and didnt react quick enough (lack of instinct) to get balls. Hands are obviously not great. It is what it is.

Had a nice shot or two. Good stroke. Played some good position defense, the usual blocks too.

Reaction Score
There were a few possessions, particularly in the first half, where his rebounding effort wasn't there. But there were a bunch, especially, in the second half, when he sought out his man, laid a body on him hard, and others got the boards. There was one defensive board in the second half where he blocked out two guys, essentially wiping out the whole right side of the court, and Miller picked a rebound up off the ground on the left side. Easy board for Miller, who did no work to get that one (he did work to get others - just that one was like picking up a slow roller). If Brimah does that sort of stuff and others get rebounds, great. We would probably rather see DHam swoop in and get it and ignite the break anyway.

Not always true, but Individual rebounding numbers tend to be more significant when the team struggles on the glass. If UConn is winning the battle of the boards, it doesn't really matter who gets them because the team rebounding is up to snuff. And when we were killed by Maryland, AB was actually the best guy we had (7 in 18 minutes, some of which were out of his area).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There were a few possessions, particularly in the first half, where his rebounding effort wasn't there. But there were a bunch, especially, in the second half, when he sought out his man, laid a body on him hard, and others got the boards. There was one defensive board in the second half where he blocked out two guys, essentially wiping out the whole right side of the court, and Miller picked a rebound up off the ground on the left side. Easy board for Miller, who did no work to get that one (he did work to get others - just that one was like picking up a slow roller). If Brimah does that sort of stuff and others get rebounds, great. We would probably rather see DHam swoop in and get it and ignite the break anyway.

They worked this sort of thing to perfection in 2014, where the bigs sealed off and Shabazz and Boat picked up the scraps.

Reaction Score
He was awesome on defense as usual. He changed a ton of shots. Much closer game without him.

The very next possession when he left the game after starting, they get a lay up. Could have called it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didnt see him get pushed around all that much. Just wasnt in the right positions and didnt react quick enough (lack of instinct) to get balls. Hands are obviously not great. It is what it is.

Had a nice shot or two. Good stroke. Played some good position defense, the usual blocks too.

2 rebounds in 27 minutes and he was the tallest player on the court. Not looking to slam AB, as I definitely think he's progressed offensively. But this is his Junior season and he doesn't know how to box out.

Reaction Score
I would like to see him take that little jump shot more. He made a nice baseline one against the Terps, the more offense we can get out of him the better.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
2 rebounds in 27 minutes and he was the tallest player on the court. Not looking to slam AB, as I definitely think he's progressed offensively. But this is his Junior season and he doesn't know how to box out.

As Gurley said, there's several times he's sealed off his man and allowed others to rebound. Get the board, that's all that matters, not who shows up on the stat sheet.

Reaction Score
OSU's starting four and five combined for five rebounds in 43 minutes, so this isn't really the time to get on AB too much about his rebounding. Rebounding is as much about who doesn't get the ball as who does, and on a day where they outrebounded the opponent 34 to 26, I didn't see too many instances where you could trace an offensive board back to AB being out of position.

This board is altogether too tough on AB, anyway. He grabbed seven rebounds in 18 minutes against Maryland, yet the only time we hear about him is when we feel something is wrong. And in regards to rebounding, he's been a hell of a lot better at it this year and more than viable for what we need.

Coming into today, he was averaging 10.7 rebounds per 40 minutes. For comparison sake, Jahlil Okafor was at 11.3 rebounds per 40 minutes last year, and his team did alright.

There is a reason OSU shot 36% today on a ton of mid-range jump shots, and AB was a big part of it. Watch the tape - he literally blocks, alters, or disallows at least a dozen shots every game.

Reaction Score
He is what he is. What frustrates me more than anything about him is if you dump it down to him in the low block, that's it. You're not getting it back. He catches the ball and has his mind made up on the move he will make before catching it. Often times this leads to a travel, an offensive foul on a hookaround with his elbow, or a forced shot in which he is off balance. Teach the guy about what a re-post is, jesus.

Reaction Score
He was awesome on defense as usual. He changed a ton of shots. Much closer game without him.

The very next possession when he left the game after starting, they get a lay up. Could have called it.

Wow, a "ton" of shots huh? I watched a totally different game than you, need to get new glasses or contacts I guess.

I needed to edit because he was not bad today, not great like I knew some would think, but it was one of his better games to date. Still 2 rebounds and no shot of making an offensive move kills us at times. I did like his first defensive stop beginning of game where he didnt get off his feet and just stayed straight up with arms i mentioned it in another post - if he did this more often when the time was right he'd be a better player for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, a "ton" of shots huh? I watched a totally different game than you, need to get new glasses or contacts I guess.

I needed to edit because he was not bad today, not great like I knew some would think, but it was one of his better games to date. Still 2 rebounds and no shot of making an offensive move kills us at times. I did like his first defensive stop beginning of game where he didnt get off his feet and just stayed straight up with arms i mentioned it in another post - if he did this more often when the time was right he'd be a better player for us.

Ohio State settled for a ton of mid-range jump shots. Hell, go back to the Maryland game. There was a period there in the second half where the Terps were getting layup after layup, and it all occurred with Brimah on the bench. The guy changes the way offenses attack us, he just does.

Now, is he frustrating? Yeah. I wish he was a better post defender, wish he had better hands, and wish he was a better rebounder. These things will probably keep him from ever playing in the NBA. But he's a very good college player.

Reaction Score

Have to agree with Palatine. He did alter or block a large number of OSU Shots today.

Reaction Score
Ohio State settled for a ton of mid-range jump shots. Hell, go back to the Maryland game. There was a period there in the second half where the Terps were getting layup after layup, and it all occurred with Brimah on the bench. The guy changes the way offenses attack us, he just does.

Now, is he frustrating? Yeah. I wish he was a better post defender, wish he had better hands, and wish he was a better rebounder. These things will probably keep him from ever playing in the NBA. But he's a very good college player.

He's an acceptable center for us but a "very good" college player, nope sorry. You have to do more than he does to be very good, improvements would need to be dramatic rather than 2 1/2 years of baby steps at best. He is what he is, he's ours but the frustrations make it tough to watch sometimes. Why couldn't he make that jump in game like Bentil at PC? I realize he doesn't block shots but the kid can score, play defense on the block as well as fast feet on the hedge. AB has the gifts but not the hoops brain to go with those, that's all there is to it. I'll take him, he tries!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AB was his typical self.
He was usually out of position, swatting at the ball rather than grabbing it, allowing catchable balls to go off his hands, setting ineffective screens BUT yes he did block/alter a few shots.
Its awfully hard to play 4 on 5 at the offensive end.
had great hope for him coming into this season after a healthy summer but boy have I been disappointed

Reaction Score
huskiesnyc said:

Boxing out isn't the issue. He generally looks for and finds a body. He just doesn't do a good job of finding and getting the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom