Brimah..... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brimah.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The guy has barely scratched the surface. He's new to the game. To say he's had no improvement is to be blind. He clearly had some great games vs. lower quality opponents. Last year was good, this year was better. His worst games are against big, powerful guys that have been honing their games their whole lives. This is a gigantic learning curve for a newbie like Brimah. As far as rebounding, that will come naturally with more strength. His rebounding numbers are lower than some may want because he goes after blocks instead. I'll take 5 blocks over 5 rebounds any game of the week. I'll also take the Defensive Player of the Year, voted by coaches who know something about the game, any year.

Reaction Score
The guy has barely scratched the surface. He's new to the game. To say he's had no improvement is to be blind. He clearly had some great games vs. lower quality opponents. Last year was good, this year was better. His worst games are against big, powerful guys that have been honing their games their whole lives. This is a gigantic learning curve for a newbie like Brimah. As far as rebounding, that will come naturally with more strength. His rebounding numbers are lower than some may want because he goes after blocks instead. I'll take 5 blocks over 5 rebounds any game of the week. I'll also take the Defensive Player of the Year, voted by coaches who know something about the game, any year.

To think he will rebound better with "more strength" is blind also. But that's just me!

Reaction Score
AB does good things blocking shots, but weak hands holding onto rebounds, loses a lot of balls he touches. You can not throw the ball into the post to him so no post moves. Doesn't hold his position well down low so he flails and gets called for touch fouls. Often fronts his man who then gets behind him to score or get better position for putbacks, he doesn't have the muscle. Analysts looking at our team have cited the lack of a post game.
Love OkaForPrez but man you aren't watching the whole game if you at any point think Amida has been good for us down the stretch. And for that matter anyone else. And let's cut the "big mans coaching" BS ok, this is college basketball and anyone who's been coaching understands how to teach them. The fact is, CT Basketball said it too, he's been making the same really stupid mistakes for 2 years. I don't even need a GD coach to tell me I can't do that again if they call it time and time again c'mon people, he's not retaining anything he's being taught. His natural instincts for the game are dreadful at best. Besides blocking shots, which I know do matter by the way, he's just not even close to a good basketball player. Thanks for the 3 pt play vs St Joes and thank you for blocking shots but in order for us to be good it's time to man up and learn the fn game. Those who think if he has 20 lbs of muscle on him next year, this will be the difference, good luck with that. His hands are never ready, he's never elevating to get a rebound, his footwork is similar to a new born colt when in traffic. Hey I love the kid, but how long can you people really continue to blame anyone for this kids 5 rebounds at 7 ft fn tall in the last 3 gams? That's unacceptable period.

He needs to come back ready to be a college center some how, some way!
No matter how much he improves which he will, he can't do it alone. Need a strong new body down there, plus I'm putting my money on The Rock. I would say Facey too but he can't get the proper body, too skinny. Enoch has a solid build.

Reaction Score
Love OkaForPrez but man you aren't watching the whole game if you at any point think Amida has been good for us down the stretch. And for that matter anyone else. And let's cut the "big mans coaching" BS ok, this is college basketball and anyone who's been coaching understands how to teach them. The fact is, CT Basketball said it too, he's been making the same really stupid mistakes for 2 years. I don't even need a GD coach to tell me I can't do that again if they call it time and time again c'mon people, he's not retaining anything he's being taught. His natural instincts for the game are dreadful at best. Besides blocking shots, which I know do matter by the way, he's just not even close to a good basketball player. Thanks for the 3 pt play vs St Joes and thank you for blocking shots but in order for us to be good it's time to man up and learn the fn game. Those who think if he has 20 lbs of muscle on him next year, this will be the difference, good luck with that. His hands are never ready, he's never elevating to get a rebound, his footwork is similar to a new born colt when in traffic. Hey I love the kid, but how long can you people really continue to blame anyone for this kids 5 rebounds at 7 ft fn tall in the last 3 gams? That's unacceptable period.

I can see virtues in the arguments of both mau and Okafor. Let me offer my own observations; I agree with Okafor that Amida had a major impact on the second half, and with mau that Amida just hasn't developed both mentally and physically the way we hoped. Sometimes players never really develop and improve; think Stanley Robinson. He was a physically gifted player, who was never able to reach what I thought was his potential. He never really improved his ball handling and decision making. Is this the template for Amida? Or is it Hilton Armstrong, he mad a huge jump in effectiveness late in his career. How about Josh Boone; really good as a freshman, but not much improvement over his career. In my experience teaching and coaching; some kids just never get it. Perhaps they would have made the jump with another coach, but sometimes it is as if a light goes on. Suddenly, a kid who wasted ability, listens and learns. I was never able
to figure out exactly why. Some coaches have a better knack of improving players than others. Fred Hoyberg seems to be adept at finding
players who he can coax into becoming effective players.

Back to Amida, part of his problem is physical. He lacks strength. Part of it is fundamentals, some he has improved. He shoots free throws a lot better. Part of it is mental, or a combination of mental and physical; he gets himself in bad defensive positions too often, then he compounds that by reaching or by being duped into apparent fouls. He is instinctive blocking shots, but not rebounding. What mau sees is a very flat learning curve, what Okafor sees is the potential for a very favorable learning curve. There is evidence for either position.
I believe that Amida is and either/or type of player. The light will go on or it won't.

Unfortunately, I can't see a solid season without a major improvement in Brimah.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone here doesn't appreciate and give credit for AB's shot blocking ability, we just want more. More rebounding, more scoring, and "more better" judgement.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine you could have watched this season and come up with the conclusion that Brimah's foul troubles are related primarily to his inability to establish post position on offense. His offense has a long way to go, but his inability to stay on the court remains solely related to his inability to defend without fouling.
And what is the reason for both of these defiencies is lack of upper and lower body strength. He needs to hit the weights hard and work on his post up game and position defense. He has potential but has a long way to go before I consider him a bonafide star. A star center doesn't average 4.7 PPG and 3.1 RPG in 28.5 MPG during the last seven against real big men.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ollie was disgusted with Brimah. Still has no clue you can't use your hands to play defense

The coaches undoubtedly teach him not to do that but his instincts take over on the court and it most likely is because of his lack of strength and girth that causes him to commit this stupid fouls
and as of now, he's not quick enough to move laterally... again only his second year and he has improved... it seems his body type wont allow him to gain much more weight... he'll need to work on his hands both offensively and rebounding

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Brimah is a product of poor big man coaching. I have written repeatedly that he is not a low post player but he picks up a fouls trying to establish position for that pathetic jump hook that fails ninety percent of the time. Brimah is a motion player who should keep moving for that little jumper or the lob to the rim. If he wants to shoot the hook, then he needs to swing into the rim for a quick pass and then try the jump hook. He has no feel for posting a guy low, no drop step.
or he's been playing basketball for what 4-5 years? he's developed a pretty good jump shot along the baseline and when it's fluid, his jump hook looks good... he's improving but is still learning... hands, weight(if possible), and lateral quickness are areas that need to be improved

Reaction Score
I know KO doesn't like it, but some zone in the first half would have helped with the foul trouble and stopped some of the points in the paint. Rebounding could not have been worse. Maybe they hit a few more threes, but it was worth a shot.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The shoulder injury excuses the lack of development over the summer. During the season though...

Reaction Score
AB does good things blocking shots, but weak hands holding onto rebounds, loses a lot of balls he touches. You can not throw the ball into the post to him so no post moves. Doesn't hold his position well down low so he flails and gets called for touch fouls. Often fronts his man who then gets behind him to score or get better position for putbacks, he doesn't have the muscle. Analysts looking at our team have cited the lack of a post game.

No matter how much he improves which he will, he can't do it alone. Need a strong new body down there, plus I'm putting my money on The Rock. I would say Facey too but he can't get the proper body, too skinny. Enoch has a solid build.

Enoch needs a lot more strength.....in the beginning of the year he was bodied down by a 7 foot 195 lb guy repeatedly....a bunch of games he just got overpowered.....this said he did mature and played hard for extended periods. He is real young andseems to soak up alot of coaching....he can pack on 20 easily.........i'like to see him more assertive.......in two years he could be special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom