Brimah..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brimah.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Brimah plays all with his upper body. He doesnt realize he has to get lower and use his legs to fight for position. But hell he has no strength in his legs. Like dude said he missed the weights.

Reaction Score
I think Lubin is one of our guys for next year. Early play today he ripped the ball out of a defender's hands and put it right back in with nice touch. He has strength and good hands! I'm pissed that the staff did not give him more of Brimah's and Nolan's minutes as we got killed inside this year. That's development he missed. KO was loyal to AB and Phil with PT. Brimah tries hard I give him that with spectacular blocks and all but give me blue collar down there.

Reaction Score
Needs to take ballet lessons or something. Dude needs to learn that playing flat footed is not gonna do it.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Brimah is a product of poor big man coaching. I have written repeatedly that he is not a low post player but he picks up a fouls trying to establish position for that pathetic jump hook that fails ninety percent of the time. Brimah is a motion player who should keep moving for that little jumper or the lob to the rim. If he wants to shoot the hook, then he needs to swing into the rim for a quick pass and then try the jump hook. He has no feel for posting a guy low, no drop step.

Reaction Score
Brimah is a product of poor big man coaching. I have written repeatedly that he is not a low post player but he picks up a fouls trying to establish position for that pathetic jump hook that fails ninety percent of the time. Brimah is a motion player who should keep moving for that little jumper or the lob to the rim. If he wants to shoot the hook, then he needs to swing into the rim for a quick pass and then try the jump hook. He has no feel for posting a guy low, no drop step.

I can't imagine you could have watched this season and come up with the conclusion that Brimah's foul troubles are related primarily to his inability to establish post position on offense. His offense has a long way to go, but his inability to stay on the court remains solely related to his inability to defend without fouling.

C

Chief00

His injury doesn't explain why he did not more significantly improve lower body strength. Even when he boxes out he just gets push out if the way. His legs and core need more power.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I can't imagine you could have watched this season and come up with the conclusion that Brimah's foul troubles are related primarily to his inability to establish post position on offense. His offense has a long way to go, but his inability to stay on the court remains solely related to his inability to defend without fouling.
Brimah has been called for one or two offensive fouls every single game. Watch the replays.

Reaction Score
The disturbing thing about Brimah is he has not improved this season, and scarcely improved over last offseason.

In our program's history, we have taken in our share of raw bigs, but they have improved. We can't have a 4-year starter project big if they're not going to improve rapidly.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Honestly i put alot of the blame on Brimah for this game. If he even remotely knew how to grab a rebound we would've been in this game for longer than the last 5 minutes. If he doesnt take advantage of his summer and gain some muscle/skills, it'll make me crazy. Can't watch us get dominated on the boards another season.
Personally, I agree with you 100%. He played awful today and his basketball IQ is horrible. Not to mention he has stone hands!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here. I'm losing a lot of faith in the collective basketball iq of this forum. Amida Brimah was the best player on the floor not named Rodney Purvis in the 2nd half for either team. SMH

Reaction Score
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here. I'm losing a lot of faith in the collective basketball iq of this forum. Amida Brimah was the best player on the floor not named Rodney Purvis in the 2nd half for either team. SMH
Are you serious? He had TWO, count 'em TWO rebounds the entire game. He got out rebounded by their 6'5-6'8 wings like it was nothing. Sure he had maybe 3 blocks, but that often led to 2nd chance points, and for EVERY shot he went for the block and didn't get it, they probably got the rebound. Your post makes me wonder if you were one of the viewers who turned it off after the first half.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Anyone seen Husky91? I feel like the UCONN PD needs to have a squad car parked outside Brimah's dorm for the next 48 hours.

Reaction Score
He's a non-factor as a rebounder. I don't know how you say otherwise. There were a handful today where he didn't even leave the ground and an SMU player got the rebound in his area. He caught that "put back" down the stretch yesterday at his waist, it was just a fluke that it landed in his lap.

This team is/was so freaking limited, that the guards have to basically be perfect on offense for them to be successful. You can't consistently give a team like SMU multiple chances on every possession and hope to win, particularly when you go down to the other end and you're not only playing 3 on 5 but, in all likelihood, you're only going to get one shot up on every possession.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Are you serious? He had TWO, count 'em TWO rebounds the entire game. He got out rebounded by their 6'5-6'8 wings like it was nothing. Sure he had maybe 3 blocks, but that often led to 2nd chance points, and for EVERY shot he went for the block and didn't get it, they probably got the rebound. Your post makes me wonder if you were one of the viewers who turned it off after the first half.

In the first half SMU was 9/15 from point blank range. In the 2nd half they were 5/15. Open it up to mid range and it's 11/19 to 6/21. You can track the shot chart on cbs by 1st half 2nd half split and see hot zones. Even with the offensive rebounds from the wings (which was as much a factor of us playing Hamilton at the 4 against their front line as anything) we still took 8 points off the board at the rim with Brimah in the game.

Two of Amida's blocks directly lead to runouts which ended in a layup and a trip to the line for Purvis.

11:30 Amida Brimah Block. 28-45
11:30 Daniel Hamilton Defensive Rebound. 28-45
11:24 Rodney Purvis made Layup

4:37 Amida Brimah Block. 44-52
4:37 Rodney Purvis Defensive Rebound. 44-52
4:31 44-52 Foul on Ryan Manuel.

And then there was the Kennedy driving into Amida and throwing the ball to NOBODY on the wing.

Or the 6 foot opportunity Ben Moore decided against to reverse the ball out for a Nic Moore jumper that he missed.

So yea, I watched the 2nd half. And closer than you did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the first half SMU was 9/15 from point blank range. In the 2nd half they were 5/15. You can track the shot chart on cbs by 1st half 2nd half split and see hot zones. Even with the offensive rebounds from the wings (which was as much a factor of us playing Hamilton at the 4 against their front line as anything) we still took 8 points off the board at the rim with Brimah in the game.

Two of Amida's blocks directly lead to runouts which ended in a layup and a trip to the line for Purvis.

11:30 Amida Brimah Block. 28-45
11:30 Daniel Hamilton Defensive Rebound. 28-45
11:24 Rodney Purvis made Layup

4:37 Amida Brimah Block. 44-52
4:37 Rodney Purvis Defensive Rebound. 44-52
4:31 44-52 Foul on Ryan Manuel.

And then there was the Kennedy driving into Amida and throwing the ball to NOBODY on the wing.

Or the 6 foot opportunity Ben Moore decided against to reverse the ball out for a Nic Moore jumper that he missed.

So yea, I watched the 2nd half. And closer than you did.

Since your so into his stats, why don't you find out how many times he went for the block, missed, and they got an OFF Reb, or how many times he didn't even jump for a rebound. I'm not trying to hate on him, but you give credit where it's due, and not where its not. I'm 200% sure he was not the second best player on the floor in the second half when he finished with an outstanding total of 2 pts and 2 rebs.

Reaction Score
Brimah missed the weight room this offseason give him 8 months in the gym with the trainers Im excited to see where he'll be next year
I don't see him gaining much muscle on that body frame. He's like a praying mantis.He is what he is.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Since your so into his stats, why don't you find out how many times he went for the block, missed, and they got an OFF Reb, or how many times he didn't even jump for a rebound. I'm not trying to hate on him, but you give credit where it's due, and not where its not. I'm 200% sure he was not the second best player on the floor in the second half when he finished with an outstanding total of 2 pts and 2 rebs.
The stats are the stats man. SMU COULD NOT SCORE with Brimah in the game. He completely took them out of their offense. Their offensive rebounds were not turning into 2nd chance points and our offense opened up as a direct consequence of getting defensive rebounds or picking up the block and running off it.

SMU's entire game is in the paint, it has been all year, and when Amida took it away they became completely rattled and it was the singular reason, along with Purvis deciding to take over the game when Boat was injured that erased the deficit. You are focusing on a secondary indicator (rebounding) and not the primary indicator (the fact SMU couldn't do a damn thing in the paint).

Reaction Score
Maybe Brimah would be better as a PF playing a alongside a true Center. He's got some shooting skills. Just because he's a 7-footer doesn't necessarily mean he can be a center.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Here's Larry Brown starting his post game interview by saying they didn't play well in the 2nd half because of Brimah blocking everything and them 'challenging him too much.

Reaction Score
Don't blame Brimah. He missed the team bus and is not even in Hartford today. project needs to develop a head for the game. Good thing UConn has Nolan for a back up . . . NOT. Recind his scholarship for next year.

This is the first time I've ever said this about anyone on this board, but can the moderators ban this guy's stupid ass?

Yeah, because they played so well and the SMU big boys didn't eat them alive. And they both have at least one more shot to prove otherwise.

Reaction Score
Brimah blocks shots but to me Lubin who is significantly shorter will be the better rebounder if he isn't already. Brimah is poorly positioned, lacks situational awareness and relys soley on his arms instead of moving his feet and establshing position. He can do certain things well but is limited athletically despite his height and just looks lost sometimes. He's gotten some insane calks against him by our great officiating crews but that doesn't excuse a guy of his stature being a terrible rebounder. I'm just hoping for other guys like The Rock to step up and help because Amida just hasn't shown the mentality to be in the right spot and physically hold his own.

Reaction Score
Love OkaForPrez but man you aren't watching the whole game if you at any point think Amida has been good for us down the stretch. And for that matter anyone else. And let's cut the "big mans coaching" BS ok, this is college basketball and anyone who's been coaching understands how to teach them. The fact is, CT Basketball said it too, he's been making the same really stupid mistakes for 2 years. I don't even need a GD coach to tell me I can't do that again if they call it time and time again c'mon people, he's not retaining anything he's being taught. His natural instincts for the game are dreadful at best. Besides blocking shots, which I know do matter by the way, he's just not even close to a good basketball player. Thanks for the 3 pt play vs St Joes and thank you for blocking shots but in order for us to be good it's time to man up and learn the fn game. Those who think if he has 20 lbs of muscle on him next year, this will be the difference, good luck with that. His hands are never ready, he's never elevating to get a rebound, his footwork is similar to a new born colt when in traffic. Hey I love the kid, but how long can you people really continue to blame anyone for this kids 5 rebounds at 7 ft fn tall in the last 3 gams? That's unacceptable period.

He needs to come back ready to be a college center some how, some way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom