Brimah: 2015-2016 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brimah: 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The challenge was to keep him on the floor for more than 2 minutes in the first half. You're saying that having him on Okafor straight up was good strategy? Kids can have dumb fouls but if you anticipate that he's going to be in foul trouble early (and we did) then don't put his skinny frame up against Okafor. Whatever the coaches game plan was to keep him on the floor it didn't work.

WTF does Brimah's skinny frame have to do with him using his hands on Okafor when he's facing up 2x and then reaching out to grab him when Okafor was going to the other side of the blocks to get post position? That's about moving your feet and being smart with your positioning. I thought Brimah would have issues defending Okafor in the post because of his frame, and apparently so did the staff which is why they sent dbl teams. But I didn't anticipate Brimah collecting so many fouls outside the post or before Okafor even established position, and I doubt KO did either, and his postgame comments pretty much said the same with him saying Brimah needs to play smarter. Lol @ that being coaching, the sillyness that sprouts up on the boards during losses is just comical on here. Your probably one of the guys who have had issues with KO's hire since day 1, so now you're just looking for anything to have issue with depsite the fact that it makes no sense.

Reaction Score
No issues with the hire (was a bit skeptical but thrilled with his success). Pretty sure that we would try something different with Brimah on a second game with Duke. This isn't about KO's hire, it's about the coaching staff maybe trying to find another way to keep him out there. Maybe Nolan starts and is on Okafor rather than Brimah. Look maybe that wouldn't work either, but if there is a second game I would try something other than 'just play smarter". KO isn't going to change what he says to the press but I'd bet they would try something.

Reaction Score
I think its too soon to slam the kid, I still think he has amazing potential.

1. The refs really did take him out of the game. Foul number 3 and 4 were absolutely not fouls. At the same time obviously he still needs to learn how to keep himself out of foul trouble. Trying to take a charge 50 seconds into the game when you are UConn's only real center is not a great idea. Knowing that Okafor is going up against you and you have to find a way to stay in the game, its just common sense. Brimah took too many risks for a big game like that.
2. We know Amida isn't going to be an amazing scorer at the college level or the NBA level. Those 40 points he got from the free throw line and off of dunks and alley oops that were set up for Dham and other guards. What he showed in scoring those points is that if someone else creates for him, he can finish above the rim. Without those players creating for him though, he doesn't have much else. He has showed off his little jump hook and improved his mid range shot a bit, but both of those things still need work imo, and he needs some real post up moves.
3. He hasn't shown that he can be a great rebounder yet.

I think all of the potential is still there for him to learn to board, and learn some post moves. As of today he is a shot blocking athletic big man, that can catch oops and is foul prone. At roughly 7 feet tall, that's enough to get NBA attention. If he keeps improving he'll go somewhere in the first round when he enters the draft. if he doesn't I bet he'd still be a second round project for some team.

I'm still hopefull they Amida takes another step forward and that means playing smarter, learning to grab boards and developing some sort of an offensive game.

Reaction Score
You're saying that having him on Okafor straight up was good strategy?

He wasn't on Okafor straight up so that obviously was not the strategy. They doubled Okafor every single time he touched the ball in the post. There are several reasons why they did that, but one of them is to keep Brimah from having to defend him on the block and almost certainly get in foul trouble. Can you think of a single possession where Brimah was left on an island guarding Okafor in the post?

Ollie's postgame quotes refute everything you're saying. He didn't want Brimah trying to take a charge (1st foul), hand checking 15 feet from the basket (2nd foul), or holding Okafor away from the ball (3rd foul). Brimah just isn't the most cerebral player right now.

Reaction Score
IF Amida does the right thing--he'd come back to school--put on 20 pounds of muscle over the next year--strengthen his base and continue his skill work--he could be considered a top5 pick in 2015-2016. I honestly think right now--with a LOT of C's coming out--he'd be in an unknown territory. Daniels missed out on playing well and locking a 1st rounder. Worse for Amida is the possibility of stunting his growth potential--you can take time to get bigger and stronger better in college- there is time constraints in the nBA because you're getting paid.

Reaction Score
^^ Agreed. no reason he cant make a similar type jump in improvement between sophomore and junior year that Willie Cauly-stein has made. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Reaction Score
He wasn't on Okafor straight up so that obviously was not the strategy. They doubled Okafor every single time he touched the ball in the post. There are several reasons why they did that, but one of them is to keep Brimah from having to defend him on the block and almost certainly get in foul trouble. Can you think of a single possession where Brimah was left on an island guarding Okafor in the post?

Ollie's postgame quotes refute everything you're saying. He didn't want Brimah trying to take a charge (1st foul), hand checking 15 feet from the basket (2nd foul), or holding Okafor away from the ball (3rd foul). Brimah just isn't the most cerebral player right now.
I'm going to rewatch the tape I have but all I'm saying is that a different defensive scheme might help him be on the floor to get more than 1 shot and no rebounds. If we played Duke a second time would KO do something different for Amida? I say yes.

Reaction Score
I'm going to rewatch the tape I have but all I'm saying is that a different defensive scheme might help him be on the floor to get more than 1 shot and no rebounds. If we played Duke a second time would KO do something different for Amida? I say yes.

What defensive schemes? What defensive scheme do you employ so that your C doesn't rotate late and get a blocking foul on a wing driving baseline? What defensive scheme do you employ so that your C doesn't reach out and grab the opposing C when he's simply going to the other side of the blocks before he even has the ball? What defensive scheme do you employ so that your C doesn't reach out and grab the opposing C when he's facing up and driving more than 10ft from the basket? That's not scheme, that's simply Amida playing much smarter which he will hopefully do in time. I know you want to somehow blame the coaching staff because for some reason that's what it always boils down to with some of you but the players need to do their jobs at some point, I know its not "hot takey" or a buzzword like "scheme", but its the truth.

Reaction Score
Brimah is a 4 year player.

Remember Thabeet was Great in College and a bust in the NBA.

Brimah has a long long way to go to be as good in college as Thabeet was.

4 years or a ton of time in the D league.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Yeah I was watching and saw where it was which is exactly my point. Had a cheap one at the foul line too. Coaching shouldn't have him bodying up these players when we need him to alter, block shots, and rebound which we didn't have him for. If he was in the game maybe we don't get killed as bad on the glass the way we did.
Your strategy is to alter the defense so Brimah is available to rebound? Did you really expect him to get 10 or something? The kid cannot rebound right now against a good D1 front court, forget an elite one.
The only way he is going to learn to play the defense UConn needs him to play is to play that defense. You don't change your defensive scheme to keep someone on the floor longer without him learning how to play defense. He's simply going to have to get abused over and over again until he learns it. Hopefully that happens fast, but he's got to learn to play the D that is expected.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He'll be back, that's at least one positive takeaway from tonight.

Unless you think that very true statement costs us Stone. A thought that entered my mind when Brimah picked up his second foul. AB isn't going to get better than he is. He's a luxury, a lane clogger, shot blocker, for a college team that doesn't need scoring or rebounding from the center position. Anyone who drafts him should be fired and on the heels of Boone's and Thabeet's flameouts it will create a narrative that UConn produces only stiffs as big men. The era of Okafor, Voskuhl, Knight, carving out nice NBA careers would be over.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
??
some crazy talk going on around here. Okafor was handled very well last night. That is a plus. We showed we can compete with the the best teams even with a seriously flawed offense.
AB was consistent with how he performs against tough competition. AB is still a hard working raw talent who has a chance to be special.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I do have a question. Has any other uninjured player ever gone from 40 points to 0 points in their next game?

Reaction Score
David 76 said:
I do have a question. Has any other uninjured player ever gone from 40 points to 0 points in their next game?

Stephen Curry might have come close (but not quite). Loyola put two guys on him for an entire game and he might have scored 2 points while standing in the corner and letting everyone else play 4 on 3 in a crazy bastardized version of the sport.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Unless you think that very true statement costs us Stone. A thought that entered my mind when Brimah picked up his second foul. AB isn't going to get better than he is. He's a luxury, a lane clogger, shot blocker, for a college team that doesn't need scoring or rebounding from the center position. Anyone who drafts him should be fired and on the heels of Boone's and Thabeet's flameouts it will create a narrative that UConn produces only stiffs as big men. The era of Okafor, Voskuhl, Knight, carving out nice NBA careers would be over.

Jesus. I'm not saying he'll ever light the NBA on fire, but the kid's only a sophomore. Lighten up.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, I double checked and Curry had zero points in that Loyola game on 0-3 shooting after scoring 39 in his previous game against Florida Atlantic.
Too bad about that missed free throw against Florida Atlantic

Reaction Score
Inyatkin said:
Too bad about that missed free throw against Florida Atlantic

Or if we had just taken Brimah out of the game before giving him that one last dunk for 40.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, I double checked and Curry had zero points in that Loyola game on 0-3 shooting after scoring 39 in his previous game against Florida Atlantic.

Amidah has the record!

Reaction Score

He can't though. The only thing I was thinking was Nolan playing him and that's all good and dandy but guess who loses minutes? The guy who go 14 and 9 Mr Facey. Unfortunately the only hope was for him to use his head and stay in the game. How did that work out? Go to a zone and we don't make them work as hard and they eventually get comfortable after a prolonged look at it. It's on Brimah to stay in the game, its really that simple!

Reaction Score
I think 4-5 fouls were not fouls, but the prospect of him being an nba player next year is honestly stupid funny
I kept trying to tell people on this sub that there is no way he get drafted next year when he can't grab a rebound. People said I was underestimating the need for a 7 footer like Amida lol

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Damn...good memory you've got there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman