Brianna Turner announces top 5 [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Brianna Turner announces top 5 [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't usually follow the recruiting scene closely, so I may be way off base here. It's understandable that she would have every one f those teams on her list, but to have all five and nothing but all five seems unusual me. I mean, on the lists that I've seen, there's usually a home town favorite or some other team that the recruit has become interested in. But in this case, it's the five teams that are likely to be the best when she enters college, and only those five. It may be that those are her favorites anyway, but it just seems, well, so businesslike.

Reaction Score
Top level women's bball is a business and has been for soem time now. The top players havbe their pick of the best schools/programs and frequently approach it as a business decision. Which coach/school/program will get me to where I want/need to be in my future bball or after bball carrer?

I really like our chances in signing Ms. Turner.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
some kids are wired differently than others. Someone to comfort of being close to home, and then there's the odd top recruit who wants to go to where she will be challenged into becoming the best player she can be. If thats business like so be it. I think it's logical for a player of the latter ilk to look to the top teams.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
No inside information, but I suspect Brianna ends up @ Stanford. Hard to turn down the Stanford degree and what that offers. The fact that Texas is not on her list has to be a disappointment to their fans.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The fact there is only one Texas school is good news. Clearly, she's very open to leaving the state. To Tomcat's point, they are five very different schools, with the only common thread being that they're all schools that have a lot of current and recent success on the court. I actually think that's a good thing insomuch as if the primary focus for her is basketball and winning, Uconn has a superlative story to tell there. Geno extending to 2018 also sends a strong message to the class of 2014 if they needed one.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm not surprised that Baylor is on her list. DFW which is the AAU team Brianna plays for has sent many of their players to Baylor. There are 6 players on the current Baylor roster that used to play for DFW. UConn has Moriah. Stanford has Amber Orange. Duke has Alexis Jones. Only ND doesn't not have a DFW player on their roster.

FYI DFW is the AAU program that caused Kim's problem with the NCAA

DFW Alumni - Link

Reaction Score
Here's where it helps that the Top 2013 PF's Erica McCall chose Stanford, Taya Reimer chose Notre Dame, and Oderah Chidom chose Duke.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping it is a good sign that our own MoJeff is so clearly pictured in the side panel of her announcement!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting that TN Texas and UNC are not on the list.
Uconn, ND, and Stanford have long term absolute top of their profession hall of fame coaches. Baylor and Duke are a short step below that, but are very stable programs as well. Scholastically Baylor and Uconn maybe lag the other three.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
No inside information, but I suspect Brianna ends up @ Stanford. Hard to turn down the Stanford degree and what that offers. The fact that Texas is not on her list has to be a disappointment to their fans.

Lucky for everyone in WCBB that rosters are not unlimited, as all recruits would then choose Stanford if they could!!!.:confused:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well Geno said he had a great class coming up so maybe this is part of it, if not then I really like our chances at Wilson out of South Carolina and who else with all those schollies?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

So, her announcement is not even 4 hours old and she's 10 months away from making a decision and already you're throwing a wet blanket on UConn's chances. And you do this while admitting that you have no inside information (you never do).

Why share your negativity? Are you trying to prepare us for disappointment?

Reaction Score
Lucky for everyone in WCBB that rosters are not unlimited, as all recruits would then choose Stanford if they could!!!.:confused:

They have to be accepted for admission. If she gets into Stanford she will probably go there.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
They have to be accepted for admission. If she gets into Stanford she will probably go there.

Jon...we don't seem to communicate well. I was being facetious/sarcastic. I understand that students need to be accepted in order to matriculate. I just don’t agree that Stanford trumps all.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm just glad we made her final 5. All great schools on her list with really good basketball tradition. Of course, I think UCONN has the best basketball tradition, and most would agree, but there is way more to the college experience than just hoops. You can't win if you aren't in the game, and we are in the game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Here's where it helps that the Top 2013 PF's Erica McCall chose Stanford, Taya Reimer chose Notre Dame, and Oderah Chidom chose Duke.

Is Turner a PF or a SF ? I know she is tall, but doesnt she have the athleticism and skills to play the SF as well?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am really surprised that Texas didn't make the cut. I thought they had the inside track.

I'm very happy that she has Baylor on her list. I think that we pick up 6-7 McCowan in 2015 and she and Turner would make one heck of a high/low tandem. Baylor has a great connection with DFW Elite. I hope that she and Calvert want to stay close to home and make the same kind of noise that BG and Sims have.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Is Turner a PF or a SF ? I know she is tall, but doesnt she have the athleticism and skills to play the SF as well?
Brief synopsis from ESPN... I would say similar to Breanna Stewart, except not as dominating. Probably more athletic, but less basketball skills at similar points in their careers. Stewart dominated every single national team she played on in every category imaginable, regardless of whether she played with kids older, or her own age. On the U-17 team, Turner was 6th in scoring and tied for 7th in rebounding, altho to be fair, she was on the team with kids a year older (Deshields, Davis, Russell, Reimer, Greenwell)...

At this point in the maturation process of the class of 2014, no prospect in the class has displayed more potential than Turner. To start, there's her physical attributes, which are impressive even in street clothes. She stands a legit 6-3 and is gifted with long limbs and explosive athleticism. Turner has the ability to run the floor as well as most guards her age, and on the defensive end she finds a way to challenge every shot attempted anywhere near the basket. Her ability to be both an explosive athlete, attempting the impressive shot block around the basket, and be fluid, finding ways to finish around defenders when she can't simply go over them, makes her a sure fire challenger to finish the class in the No. 1 spot. When talking about prospects on the national level, the term "genetic lottery" plays such an impact on what separates kids at the top of a given class from their peers. Similar to previous No. 1s ahead of her, (Maya Moore, Candace Parker, Brittney Griner) Turner won the genetic lottery of 2014.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I'm just curious. Has there been a player that has UConn on their list where you think they will choose UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom