Bria Hartley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bria Hartley

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I was in the "bench Bria" camp. I am definitely in the "KML should start" camp, as well as the "if KML was to replace anyone currently in the starting lineup, Bria makes the most sense simply from matchup standpoint" camp. Quite frankly, my opinion on those two points didn't change after last night. I think KML matches up really well, for instance, with Notre Dame's lineup, and she spent much of the Stanford game guarding a first-team A-A and a senior. Her size makes her a versatile player and a matchup problem for opposing defenses.

Bottom line, Bria, KML, Tiff, Kelly, Caroline, and just for the hell of it, Brianna, are going to bring some things to the table and take some things off it from game to game. There will be a lot of variability as to who plays the most minutes in any given game as a result.

Bria on any given night can look like an All-American caliber player, and she deserves all the credit in the world for playing hurt for a good chunk of last year and dealing with being unexpectedly thrust into the starting PG position on a two-time defending national champion. There are, however, going to be nights when she does not play the kind of game she did against Stanford. Given that she's still a young player, I expect and hope the latter sort of nights are nights are fewer and further between.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I was in the "bench Bria" camp. I am definitely in the "KML should start" camp, as well as the "if KML was to replace anyone currently in the starting lineup, Bria makes the most sense simply from matchup standpoint" camp. Quite frankly, my opinion on those two points didn't change after last night. I think KML matches up really well, for instance, with Notre Dame's lineup, and she spent much of the Stanford game guarding a first-team A-A and a senior. Her size makes her a versatile player and a matchup problem for opposing defenses.

Bottom line, Bria, KML, Tiff, Kelly, Caroline, and just for the hell of it, Brianna, are going to bring some things to the table and take some things off it from game to game. There will be a lot of variability as to who plays the most minutes in any given game as a result.

Bria on any given night can look like an All-American caliber player, and she deserves all the credit in the world for playing hurt for a good chunk of last year and dealing with being unexpectedly thrust into the starting PG position on a two-time defending national champion. There are, however, going to be nights when she does not play the kind of game she did against Stanford. Given that she's still a young player, I expect and hope the latter sort of nights are nights are fewer and further between.
I don't disagree but, for now, perhaps the best role for KML is to continue coming off the bench. She certainly seems comfortable with that role and is able to provide instant offense. KML ended up playing the most minutes last night even though she didn't start. It will be interesting to see how Geno juggles the pieces going forward.

Reaction Score
I just think it's funny that those that are in the "Start KML" camp, thought it was best for it to be Bria.

I can guarantee you, if there was one player on the roster who wasn't going to lose minutes to KML, it was going to be Bria. And quite frankly, I think that's where some of this "bench Bria" non sense came from. Everyone loves Kelly and Caroline and no one wants to see them lose minutes. And Tiff is a senior. So, bench Bria...despite the fact that she's easily the team's best guard, and IMO (and if I had to guess, Geno's opinion - or he would not be picking on her like he is - ) the team's best player. (For now, KML might have something to say about that later on..)

of course Bria is going to have nights where she looks off. (Although, she hasn't yet this season.) And she's going to make mistakes because she's young. But every player, ever, had nights like that as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Geno said on his show that Bria is the most competitive player on the team. Hard to believe he wouldn't want her to start.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
dont worry she's get bashed as soon as she has a "bad game"... (she shoots too much, she shouldnt start, she not a pg, I cant wait for MoJeff to come etc).

bank on it

DC - I guess it all depends on how you define bashing. Last night Hayes was 0-10 at one point. If a poster points that out is it bashing or merely a statement of fact. If Hartley turns the ball over 9 times (it hasn't happened) in a game and somebody posts that Hartley commits too many turnovers, is that bashing?

FWIW - I'm not in the bench anyone camp. I like the starting lineup exactly as it is. What an improvement over last year when at most times the only bench option was Loren Dixon. Good for her that she rose to the challenge but it's a heck of a lot more exciting to see a player of Lewis' caliber able to get in the game and turn things around. Also in the FWIW category, I think we are going to see that Stokes and Banks aren't exactly chopped liver either.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I don't disagree but, for now, perhaps the best role for KML is to continue coming off the bench. She certainly seems comfortable with that role and is able to provide instant offense. KML ended up playing the most minutes last night even though she didn't start. It will be interesting to see how Geno juggles the pieces going forward.
I think if Geno leaves the lineup as is, some combination of the following factors are at play:

1. All of the current starters have been starting most or all of their careers, and there's concern that having one come off the bench could be contrued as "taking something away" from one of those players.

2. The classic/somewhat cliched notion that a young player is better served observing for a few minutes and settling down before getting into a game, especially a big game. Ther's something to that theory, obviously, though KML's poise and experience are exceptional for a frosh.

3. Geno likes the fact that Caroline, Bria, Tiff, and Kelly all know that if he doesn't like how they're playing, they can get yanked in exchange for a kid who's good enough that it may be a long time before the yanked player gets back on the court.

Let me be clear: the fact that I would have Bria come off the bench before I'd have KML come off the bench is completely different from "bench Bria." "Bench Bria" sounds like she shouldn't play. I just like the size KML would add to a starting lineup that's on the small side. Stef starts because she's a true post, Caroline starts because she's more of a true PG, and Kelly starts because she brings things to the table defensively that no one else does. It's really not about who's "better" so much as it is about specializations, measurables, and matchups.

And for the record, my primary interest is UConn winning. I have nothing remotely invested in who's most responsible for doing so.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
And for the record, my primary interest is UConn winning. I have nothing remotely invested in who's most responsible for doing so.
+++1

Reaction Score
I guess I'm not a huge fan of Bria, but sort of stayed out of this argument, and I'm glad I did, for one reason that we can all see in hindsight. Who would have figured how terrific Bria becomes when paired with KML? I sure didn't see that one coming. And yes, Bria does some dumb things from time to time, but based on last night, she was wonderfully quick on occasion and saved the team's bacon more than once.

For now, I'm fine with bringing KML off the bench, because I don't believe that in the long run, UConn's starting five will generally have the kind of early scoring problems they had last night. I'd feel differently if I thought that Tiff and Kelly were going to toss up bricks all the time, but that's not been the case most of the time.

Bottom line, I wouldn't start KML right now but if I decided to, I would not replace Bria with her because she and Bria seem to be one of those 1+1=3 synergistic things.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Are you one of the infamous "Fans of Winning"?

I like seeing the benchies come in and dominate the opponents' starters. I get a kick out of seeing Michala and Heather and Lauren scoring against teams that win their mid-major conferences. Call me crazy - I love to see all the Huskies shine and I'll yell just as loud for the 7th off the bench as I will the starters.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I like seeing the benchies come in and dominate the opponents' starters. I get a kick out of seeing Michala and Heather and Lauren scoring against teams that win their mid-major conferences. Call me crazy - I love to see all the Huskies shine and I'll yell just as loud for the 7th off the bench as I will the starters.
Agreed. The anticipation of Kaleena's entrance was exciting and a source of supreme confidence. Same with Kiah and BB.

Let me be one of the first to complement you on your new avatar [how could I possibly resist]. Betty will always be a classic, but I see you more the action type. Really liked Beatrice, but just like Geno and the Huskies, you've gone and raised the bar yet again...welcome Pris.

Still got that old headscissors move? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE4HWJzBXUI&feature=related

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It was a draw between Pris and Sarah Connor - post conception.

Poor Pris, abused and misused. But she turned it around, didn't she? I do admire females that give as well as they get, so to speak.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Pris gets my vote, but I'm biased. The headscissors should provide a powerful deterrent toward keeping the peace around here. :cool:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DC - I guess it all depends on how you define bashing. Last night Hayes was 0-10 at one point. If a poster points that out is it bashing or merely a statement of fact. If Hartley turns the ball over 9 times (it hasn't happened) in a game and somebody posts that Hartley commits too many turnovers, is that bashing?

FWIW - I'm not in the bench anyone camp. I like the starting lineup exactly as it is. What an improvement over last year when at most times the only bench option was Loren Dixon. Good for her that she rose to the challenge but it's a heck of a lot more exciting to see a player of Lewis' caliber able to get in the game and turn things around. Also in the FWIW category, I think we are going to see that Stokes and Banks aren't exactly chopped liver either.
Nobody cares if someone just stats a fact like 9 TO's is too much. It's the other stuff that comes along with it like "she should be benched". Somehow I think you know that.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I want Bria in the game as much as possible. I guess this is the anti-bench position. Seems to me that there is some serious butt covering going on this thread.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I want Bria in the game as much as possible. I guess this is the anti-bench position. Seems to me that there is some serious butt covering going on this thread.
Yes, you definitely need to cover your butt if you support the notion that KML should play as much as possible. That's clearly the conclusion one should come to after three games. :rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Nobody cares if someone just stats a fact like 9 TO's is too much. It's the other stuff that comes along with it like "she should be benched". Somehow I think you know that.
well said... thank you DD!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
FWIW - I'm not in the bench anyone camp. I like the starting lineup exactly as it is. What an improvement over last year when at most times the only bench option was Loren Dixon. Good for her that she rose to the challenge but it's a heck of a lot more exciting to see a player of Lewis' caliber able to get in the game and turn things around.

exactly... Lorin the sparkplug (that doesnt shoot) doesnt make much sense

Reaction Score
We have to have Bria out there. She is really our only other scoring threat. They need to get the ball to Stef more and Bria is still not a true point guard, but she has ice in her veins. Turnovers don't seem to bother her, which is both frustrating and also the sign of a great scorer.

They argued tooth and nail with me saying incoming frosh Hartley wasn't a true PG to the point that I began to question my own intelligence. Glad to know I am sain.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They argued tooth and nail with me saying incoming frosh Hartley wasn't a true PG to the point that I began to question my own intelligence. Glad to know I am sain.
Who was they? Sure wasn't me. She was always a combo guard who could play the point but benefits from playing the two and spotting up. Caroline is a combo guard, too, but her strengths and leadership tend better to the point, specially, now.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
If things shape up the way I think they will, Bria and KML (6th man) will combine as one of the best back court duos we have seen. Geno stopped short of talking about the two of them together and I am dying to know what he is thinking. I liked what I saw watching the two of them out there in Monday night's game.
Playing through mistakes is a good thing. We observe many players get frustrated when shots don't fall, and subsequently the rest of their game suffers. Not Bria. I like the two together. They are smart, they can score, they are fearless, and I see great things with these two together in the coming season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually, rady, one of Geno's complaints about Bria in the past has been that Bria pouts when something goes wrong. He said he is waiting for her to grow out of it. He did note she is improving.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Actually, rady, one of Geno's complaints about Bria in the past has been that Bria pouts when something goes wrong. He said he is waiting for her to grow out of it. He did note she is improving.
that had nothing to do with what he "stopped short of saying".... we all know he said Bria pouts, Rady is talking about something "he didnt say YET"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom