Bri Turner | The Boneyard

Bri Turner

Reaction Score
Watching the game today, I was reminded of the play two years ago at ND. There seemed to be two ND teams on the floor that day: Arike and Mabry playing drive-and-shoot and Lindsay Allen and Turner playing feed the post.

Integrating Turner may present a challenge for ND just as UConn has had some uncertainty about integrating Crystal’s style into senior laden teams.

Reaction Score
Before the game, I posted an opinion that UConn would win because Shepherd and Turner wouldn't be able to guard any of the UConn players. Nothing I saw in this game changed my view. UConn is much quicker, more athletic and shoots much better. The only way Notre Dame will beat them in the tournament is if they play their best game of the year and UConn plays its worst. The difference between the two will only become more pronounced as the season progresses, simply because UConn is younger, more athletic and possesses so much more potential for individual growth. I could be completely wrong, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
It works for Baylor, but both of them are much more athletic and also taller.

Reaction Score
Sometimes two bigs on the floor together just won't work. Maybe Shepard and Turner will never be a smooth tandem like Wilson and Coates never seemed to be, at least not when they played us, just like Z and Collier weren't. To make it work you need bigs who are somewhat interchangeable inside and out, the way Stewie and Stef were when they played together. Both could shoot out to the 3 point line, or they could play under the basket, defensively and offensively. That combo was deadly and impossible to stop, unfortunately not many bigs have that range of skills, so you end up with two players who both need to occupy the same small area on the floor to be effective.

Reaction Score
Sometimes two bigs on the floor together just won't work. Maybe Shepard and Turner will never be a smooth tandem like Wilson and Coates never seemed to be, at least not when they played us, just like Z and Collier weren't. To make it work you need bigs who are somewhat interchangeable inside and out, the way Stewie and Stef were when they played together. Both could shoot out to the 3 point line, or they could play under the basket, defensively and offensively. That combo was deadly and impossible to stop, unfortunately not many bigs have that range of skills, so you end up with two players who both need to occupy the same small area on the floor to be effective.

IMHO, two bigs on the floor simultaneously works only when both are great passers and capable of playing both the high and low post. Stef and Stewie are a great example, but so were Pheesa and Gabbie, even though they lacked the height to be traditional post players. Z was a great low post player by the end of the season, but she never really got comfortable in the high post; as a result, the best part of Pheesa's game was removed whenever Z was on the court with her. This year, however, UConn is playing very little high-low, partly because they are so good at transition, partly because everyone can shoot the three and partly because they are so much better off the bounce than any recent UConn team. The high-low will probably only be utilized when Olivia is on the floor, or when a much shorter team plays zone exclusively.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think those two could work well together. Shepard though has to be more of the muscle where Turner the smooth. Yet, they rarely if at all worked the Hi/Lo and that ain't good, because 2 posts these days demands it, and neither one appears to be AA passers. I for one was kind of surprised that Shepard, for all of her body improvement, got muscled off the block and muscled inside for buckets. She's lost the weight, now she needs to add 10 pounds of muscle. With Turner, what you see at this point is what she is. ND with Arike is an isolation player, and Turner can't create for herself. So to me, ND's issue is at the point. In shape or not, Mabrey is their weakness. Neither Shepard or Turner have shots to the arc, neither can play brute ball very well. A good point would get the ball to them in a timely manner before they're pushed off of their spots. Shepard, even with the weight loss, got out jumped by Pheesa and Live on a bunch of occasions. ND has a bunch of issues to address if they're to compete at the Big Boogie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was going to comment on the necessity of a center having the passing ability to play the high=post, which apparently neither Turner nor Shepard possess.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Before the game, I posted an opinion that UConn would win because Shepherd and Turner wouldn't be able to guard any of the UConn players.
Interesting observation here. I highly recommend this guy's twitter feed - really enjoy his analysis.

Bri wasn't around for last year's zone-fest that occurred out of necessity. She's used to playing man and she's very good at it. On the other hand, Shepard got used to being hidden at the base of a zone last year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not against good teams it’s it doesn’t! Last year Sweet 16, 2 years ago the Elite 8 and in Kalani and Mompremiers freshman year eliminated in Elite 8.

Reaction Score
Not against good teams it’s it doesn’t! Last year Sweet 16, 2 years ago the Elite 8 and in Kalani and Mompremiers freshman year eliminated in Elite 8.

Baylor was eliminated because of inadequate guard play and a lack of three-Point shooting, two weaknesses that will also plague this year’s team. They won’t lose because they have two bigs on the floor.

Reaction Score
Does it work for Baylor when they need it most like last year verse Gulich? Maybe with an extra year of experience they have now the outcome would have been different. Kim in the postgame said Gulich was on another level and the difference. Only reason Baylor made it close was the pg Morris hitting 3’s from all over in the 4th quarter. She was fired up

Reaction Score
Baylor was eliminated because of inadequate guard play and a lack of three-Point shooting, two weaknesses that will also plague this year’s team. They won’t lose because they have two bigs on the floor.

I like Baylor guards this year. Chloe Jackson rock solid. Those pull up bankers off the glass were sending a message of there’s more on the way! Juicy Landrum improving.

Reaction Score
I think those two could work well together. Shepard though has to be more of the muscle where Turner the smooth. Yet, they rarely if at all worked the Hi/Lo and that ain't good, because 2 posts these days demands it, and neither one appears to be AA passers. I for one was kind of surprised that Shepard, for all of her body improvement, got muscled off the block and muscled inside for buckets. She's lost the weight, now she needs to add 10 pounds of muscle. With Turner, what you see at this point is what she is. ND with Arike is an isolation player, and Turner can't create for herself. So to me, ND's issue is at the point. In shape of not, Mabrey is their weakness. Neither Shepard or Turner have shots to the arc, neither can play brute ball very well. A good point would get the ball to them in a timely manner before they're pushed off of their spots. Shepard, even with the weight loss, got out jumped by Pheesa and Live on a bunch of occasions. ND has a bunch of issues to address if they're to compete at the Big Boogie.

Hines Allen and Fuehring were terrific hi-low and post to post passes. Not just hi-low but low-low too. They knew how to set each other up. A Hines-Allen hi-low to Fuehring won the ACC title game verse ND

Reaction Score
Watching the game today, I was reminded of the play two years ago at ND. There seemed to be two ND teams on the floor that day: Arike and Mabry playing drive-and-shoot and Lindsay Allen and Turner playing feed the post.

Integrating Turner may present a challenge for ND just as UConn has had some uncertainty about integrating Crystal’s style into senior laden teams.
I thought she was terrible. How many times did she let CW and others just blow by for easy lay ups?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I firmly believe that SC never wins a championship unless Coates gets injured. With Wilson & Coates on the floor, the lane was clogged and SC’s offense could be stagnant and ugly at times. Once Coates was out of the picture, it opened up the lane for Gray & Davis to drive to the basket, put Cuevas-Moore on the court as the 2 guard, where she was far more effective than at pg and it freed up Wilson to be the dominant player she was.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Shepard and Turner did not play together last year. Now that Turner has returned, the chemistry of the entire team is different. Shepard is a better passer and has a better shooting range. Turner has not shown she is a decent passer and her shooting range is limited to within 8 feet of the basket.

ND should be using the high/ low offense and they are not. Shepard should be out by the foul line. She can hit that jumper and she can drive the lane. But its not happening. That's on the coaching staff and Muffet.

Reaction Score
Ono should see some minutes when UCONN faces Baylor. I'm really looking forward to this game, and, the Oregon vs MSU game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I feel bad for Bri, lateral moving she is a shadow of her former self. Bri had one of the most athletic looking strides in WCBB which has turned into a labored stride. Jessica Shepard should also be complimented for getting in drastically better shape. She has a completely different physique than she did just a few months ago at USA basketball trial (Sept 2018). When you put that much time in to weight loss in a few months that leaves less time to practice basketball skills. Call me skeptical, Jessica is in far better shape than she was just a few months ago, but is she a better basketball player? IDK. Both great kids and worthy UCONN opponents. I wish them well in life always and in basketball except when they suit up against UCONN.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I feel bad for Bri, lateral moving she is a shadow of her former self. Bri had one of the most athletic looking strides in WCBB which has turned into a labored stride. Jessica Shepard should also be complimented for getting in drastically better shape. She has a completely different physique than she did just a few months at USA basketball trial (Sept 2018). When you put that much time in to eight loss in a few months that leaves less time to practice basketball skills. Call me skeptical, Jessica is in far better shape than she was just a few months ago, but is she a better basketball player? IDK. Both great kids and worthy UCONN opponents. I wish them well in life always and in basketball except when they suit up against UCONN.
I have that same question about Shepard. Last year she used her body to get great position in the paint, not unlike Tuck. This year, I think Pheesa had a much easier time defending her. Pheesa has gotten stronger and she’s dealing with a player who is 30+ lbs smaller.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I feel bad for Bri, lateral moving she is a shadow of her former self. Bri had one of the most athletic looking strides in WCBB which has turned into a labored stride. Jessica Shepard should also be complimented for getting in drastically better shape. She has a completely different physique than she did just a few months at USA basketball trial (Sept 2018). When you put that much time in to weight loss in a few months that leaves less time to practice basketball skills. Call me skeptical, Jessica is in far better shape than she was just a few months ago, but is she a better basketball player? IDK. Both great kids and worthy UCONN opponents. I wish them well in life always and in basketball except when they suit up against UCONN.

I had watched a couple of ND's games this year and thought Turner is not her former self. It's probably too soon post-surgery. It's a shame her college career has been hampered by injury. Still, her lack of a face-up game will limit her in the WNBA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom