Brett McMurphy lays out potential timeline, still has UConn sliding into the ACC for Maryland | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brett McMurphy lays out potential timeline, still has UConn sliding into the ACC for Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do agree that it could be a wash. But I don't think if they had a choice they would choice the Ct market over the DMV.

Which would be entirely correct, until you figure out that the CT market spills over into the NYC market.

Reaction Score
Which would be entirely correct, until you figure out that the CT market spills over into the NYC market.

I don't think they view it that way or we would have gone already. No way ESPN would have let any school vote us out.

Reaction Score
I don't think they view it that way or we would have gone already. No way ESPN would have let any school vote us out.

It's not a question of viewing it that way. It's a fact. Fairfield County is part of the NYC DMA. Not kind of. Not sort of. Not if you look at it from this or that angle. It's a fact.

Reaction Score
It's not a question of viewing it that way. It's a fact. Fairfield County is part of the NYC DMA. Not kind of. Not sort of. Not if you look at it from this or that angle. It's a fact.

Fact Uconn campus isn't in Fairfield county. It's in Storrs. Are our games on the Yes Network, or MSG? The major sports networks in NY? Please!

Reaction Score
Fact Uconn campus isn't in Fairfield county. It's in Storrs. Are our games on the Yes Network, or MSG? The major sports networks in NY? Please!
Ever heard of SNY?

You are arguing facts, not opinion.

Reaction Score
If UConn went to the B1G then Cablevision would have to carry BTN in the fairfield county/NYC area.

Reaction Score
Ever heard of SNY?

You are arguing facts, not opinion.

Of course not on equal playing field as the others. But I'll stop here. I want what you want out of the NBE. I just feel that if we were truly a "NY" sports team we would be wanted and picked up a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Of course not on equal playing field as the others. But I'll stop here. I want what you want out of the NBE. I just feel that if we were truly a "NY" sports team we would be wanted and picked up a long time ago.

No one said we were "truly a NY sports team." Who are you arguing with.

What is unassailable is that a quarter of Connecticut is within the New York media market and that having UConn in your conference helps to build a conference following in New York which is and will remain a highly fragmented market for college sports. Everything is not black or white (one of those silly so and so owns New York or they don't statements).

Reaction Score

I'm not arguing that we are valuable enough in NY to be picked up, just that according to the DMA a portion of CT is considered metro NY, and that we do have an NY presence. RU wasn't about the NY market, the population of New Jersey is over 3 times that of CT. The small portion of NYC they bring is gravy. It's about the BTN and additional subscribers. There are so many more potential tv's in Jersey than CT that the miniscule NYC CFB market becomes irrelevant in distinguishing between the two.

Reaction Score
In terms of alternates, the ACC does not have many besides UConn unless they stand pat. WVU asked to join the ACC last year; but, got rejected reportedly over low academic standards. Louisville is lower ranked academically than WVU. Plus, UConn’s 5% share of the NYC TV market is worth more than the 50% of the KY TV market Louisville has to offer. Louisville has also been on a roller-coaster ride in Football, not sure how much better they are than UConn in football on average.
I see Temple as a bigger threat; but, they are not at UConn’s level yet and the only other school is UMass, and they are still stuck athletically and academically in the 1990’s.
As for the ACC itself, Florida State and Clemson are the most likely to go. G-Tech is too much of a stretch for the BIG and if the BIG was going to go that far south, Texas would be #1. SEC could grab G-Tech; but, UG may have an issue with that. I cannot see UNC going because too many alumni would raise hell over losing Duke as their main rival and politically it would be hard to take UNC without NC State. Same in Virginia as we saw last time, tough to split UVA from V-Tech. BIG could go after Pitt and/or Syracuse; but, if the BIG goes to 16 after this, I see them going after Texas or more likely some combination of Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma (least likely due to lack of AAU status).

Reaction Score
No one said we were "truly a NY sports team." Who are you arguing with.

What is unassailable is that a quarter of Connecticut is within the New York media market and that having UConn in your conference helps to build a conference following in New York which is and will remain a highly fragmented market for college sports. Everything is not black or white (one of those silly so and so owns New York or they don't statements).

Bl not arguing with anyone. Of course southern CT is in the NY market. And I agree we would help build a conference following for any major conference in NY. I believe Duke and NC would want us in part because of basketball recruiting NY. All I was saying in my humble opinion was that tv executives probably didn't think we had enough NY marker viewer ship. That's it. Then i got some responses about facts ect.

In your opinion why RU not us?

Reaction Score
Bl not arguing with anyone. Of course southern CT is in the NY market. And I agree we would help build a conference following for any major conference in NY. I believe Duke and NC would want us in part because of basketball recruiting NY. All I was saying in my humble opinion was that tv executives probably didn't think we had enough NY marker viewer ship. That's it. Then i got some responses about facts ect.

Because viewership doesn't matter to the B1G. They have their own network and get paid based on how many subscribers they can get. As with most stations, the number of people actually watching is far less than the number of subscribers. RU brings a population of 7 million in Jersey, Maryland helps RU with southern Jersey, and they get a piece of NYC.

I bet 90% of the people who have the LOGO channel don't watch it, but they are still paying for it. The ACC has to worry more about ratings than subscribers.

This is how I understand it, I could be wrong.

Reaction Score

I think it's totally clear why RU and not us. Because RU is an even bigger entree into Metro New York than we are. And for no other reason.

Reaction Score
I think it's totally clear why RU and not us. Because RU is an even bigger entree into Metro New York than we are. And for no other reason.

Agreed and the DMV is a bigger market than Ct and that's what I was trying to say about the ACC losing Maryland.

Reaction Score
Agreed and the DMV is a bigger market than Ct and that's what I was trying to say about the ACC losing Maryland.

But the ACC relies on ratings, not subscribers. That's why Maryland and RU are more valuable to the B1G than the ACC.

Reaction Score

That may be a large part of the reason, but are we forgetting that NJ has a lot of football talent and is a pretty big state?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
RU is also south enough in NJ to completely guarantee Philly carries BTN. If you add MD, RU, and obviously PSU than Philly is a lock to carry BTN if it doesn't already. People don't always realize how far south RU actually is. It's not Northern Jersey which is similar to Fairfield County in being counted as part of the NYC Metro area.

Reaction Score
Why doesn't the BiG just go to 16 now and grab Syracuse and UConn, shoring up the northeast metro market. Both football programs would surely see a bump and basketball speaks for itself. A win/win, no?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Why doesn't the BiG just go to 16 now and grab Syracuse and UConn, shoring up the northeast metro market. Both football programs would surely see a bump and basketball speaks for itself. A win/win, no?

That would be my guess but right now there is no compelling reason to do so. That can be a potential future move.

Reaction Score
Nope... It was you. You are always making these crazy predictions. Since this merry-go-round started, you've been spot on... Look at that prediction that UNC won't join the Big10... Crazy!!!!

Sorry Marty, not me. And again I say, UNC is not going to the Big 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom