Brett McMurphy lays out potential timeline, still has UConn sliding into the ACC for Maryland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brett McMurphy lays out potential timeline, still has UConn sliding into the ACC for Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
18 total people just got really excited.
I don't think it was that many. After all it is past the bedtime of most of their fan base (those under 12 and over 67 are normally asleep by now).

Reaction Score
Ah the shots against the women and their fan base. Those were a lot funnier until you realized they are the last to blame by the fact we are being placed below such athletic mediocrity as Pitt and Rutgers on the conference expansion totem pole. Perhaps if the football team tried to win as much as the women, we wouldn't be sitting here this last crucial week hoping the last domino falls our way. The fact the men's bball team is on academic probation right isn't exactly ideal either. If we fail to get an invite and are left out all those old geezers should take you guys to the wood shed with their walkers and oxygen tanks.

Reaction Score
Ah the shots against the women and their fan base. Those were a lot funnier until you realized they are the last to blame by the fact we are being placed below such athletic mediocrity as Pitt and Rutgers on the conference expansion totem pole. Perhaps if the football team tried to win as much as the women, we wouldn't be sitting here this last crucial week hoping the last domino falls our way. The fact the men's bball team is on academic probation right isn't exactly ideal either.
The WBB success is amazing, very proud of that group. The fact they are as dominant as they are, and UConn hasn't gotten a sniff from either the B1G or ACC should tell you exactly how much WBB matters.

Reaction Score
The WBB success is amazing, very proud of that group. The fact they are as dominant as they are, and UConn hasn't gotten a sniff from either the B1G or ACC should tell you exactly how much WBB matters.

Yup it matters zilch. But it does raise my expectations for other UConn teams, you know like how the football team should be able to beat a losing Temple team at home.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yup it matters zilch. But it does raise my expectations for other UConn teams, you know like how the football team should be able to beat a losing Temple team at home.
And you are the only one with these expectations.

Reaction Score
Assuming MD is gone, UConn's future will be determined by what ESPN tells Swofford UConn will mean for the TV contract. My guess is that ESPN will tell them to take us, blowing up the Big EAst once and for all and making the ACC hoops rights, which they already own, much, much more valuable.

Obviously the opposition by BC is well documented last time around, but do we remember who the other schools were that we're on board w/ their push to block Uconn??

Reaction Score
You know the women's fans are extremely bitter about the fact WBB is unimportant to everyone but them when they show open contempt for a football program we all (presumably) want to succeed.

Rumor is compliance inspectors are sniffing around Geno and company. Be careful not to take shots at the men that may come back to haunt you. What happens on the field and in the classroom is virtually irrelevant to the changing conference landscaping. It's all about money and eyeballs.

Reaction Score
You know the women's fans are extremely bitter about the fact WBB is unimportant to everyone but them when they show open contempt for a football program we all (presumably) want to succeed.

Rumor is compliance inspectors are sniffing around Geno and company. Be careful not to take shots at the men that may come back to haunt you. What happens on the field and in the classroom is virtually irrelevant to the changing conference landscaping. It's all about money and eyeballs.

Compliance inspectors have been sniffing around Geno & Co. since the days of Maya Moore's recruitment and the -storm that Tennessee created over it. Nothing new there.

While the WBB program adds some value, it's all about football in the end when it comes to conference realignment. For those individuals who are WBB fans only or FB fans only, it's silly to wish for the failure of the other program. While the BB teams gave UConn the opportunity to build up the resources needed to expand the football program, FB is ultimately what will drive the future of the UConn Athletic Department.

Reaction Score
This has 0 percent chance of occurring
Oh really....
When you were telling everyone that ND would join the ACC, driving MD to the Big10 with Rutgers in tow several months ago, I forgot where you said Uconn would land. Do you still have that post? Clearly you are omniscient in your knowledge of conference realignment to be throwing out absolutes like that.

Why not take a riskier position and try to predict who wins the World Series in 2012?

Reaction Score
Oh really....
When you were telling everyone that ND would join the ACC, driving MD to the Big10 with Rutgers in tow several months ago, I forgot where you said Uconn would land. Do you still have that post? Clearly you are omniscient in your knowledge of conference realignment to be throwing out absolutes like that.

Why not take a riskier position and try to predict who wins the World Series in 2012?

I believe you have me confused with someone else. I stand by my position that UNC is not going to the B10.

Reaction Score
I believe you have me confused with someone else. I stand by my position that UNC is not going to the B10.
Nope... It was you. You are always making these crazy predictions. Since this merry-go-round started, you've been spot on... Look at that prediction that UNC won't join the Big10... Crazy!!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
18 total people just got really excited.

Actually, ND President cares a lot about the women's hoop program. Their rep as football U has not always made them as appealing to women. They view the women's hoop program as critical "outreach" in improving their image. And they know that the women's hoop program rose to prominence solely because it got to play UConn twice a year. Mike Brey has suggested much the same about the men. I think ND would easily prefer UConn to Maryland in the ACC, and would far prefer us to Louisville. Louisville's academics are just as disqualifying as WVU's were, if not more so.

Reaction Score
Speculation from these mental giants is that ND will have to make a choice, join for fb and prevent MD from leaving, with UConn as an acceptable #14.
Notre Dame isn't joining the ACC for football. If they were going to join a conference for all sports it would be the Big 10 or whatever they will be calling themselves.

Reaction Score
Actually, ND President cares a lot about the women's hoop program. Their rep as football U has not always made them as appealing to women. They view the women's hoop program as critical "outreach" in improving their image. And they know that the women's hoop program rose to prominence solely because it got to play UConn twice a year. Mike Brey has suggested much the same about the men. I think ND would easily prefer UConn to Maryland in the ACC, and would far prefer us to Louisville. Louisville's academics are just as disqualifying as WVU's were, if not more so.
They play good womens basketball in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Speculation from these mental giants is that ND will have to make a choice, join for fb and prevent MD from leaving, with UConn as an acceptable #14.

How many times did the Big East fans say that Notre Dame could have saved the Big East.

Reaction Score
Why is it important to anyone whether maryland leaves? Seriously, folks, it's Maryland. The fact that the Big Ten thinks they make more money selling the BTN in greater DC is a Big Ten issue, but what does the ACC lose?

Reaction Score
Why is it important to anyone whether maryland leaves? Seriously, folks, it's Maryland. The fact that the Big Ten thinks they make more money selling the BTN in greater DC is a Big Ten issue, but what does the ACC lose?
Further, is UConn really that much of a downgrade from them football-wise?

2002: UM - 11-3; UConn - 6-6
2003: UM - 10-3; UConn - 9-3
2004: UM - 5-6; UConn - 8-4
2005: UM - 5-6; UConn - 5-6
2006: UM - 9-4; UConn - 4-8
2007: UM - 6-7; UConn - 9-4
2008: UM - 8-5; UConn - 8-5
2009: UM - 2-10; UConn - 8-5
2010: UM - 9-4; UConn - 8-5
2011: UM - 2-10; UConn - 5-7
2012: UM - 4-7; UConn - 4-6

Overall: UM - 71-64; UConn 74-59

Since UConn has been FBS, they have more wins and fewer losses than Maryland. This despite having no history and not having the ability to recruit on a level playing field in those early years. While Maryland's best two season are better than UConn's, they have 6 losing seasons (two at 2-10) compared to 3 (likely 4).

Reaction Score

Sports wise not that much. We would more than adequately make up for the lose. Market wise the DMV ( DC, Maryland, Virginia) market is huge. I'm flabbergasted that so many of us think this is all about the product on the field. This is about TV sets. which equals money.

Reaction Score
But as the ACC is counting only spectators, and not cable channel sales, all that matters is who watches. And not many more, if any more, people are watching Maryland than us.

If Maryland makes sense for the Big Ten, more power to them. But my point is that the ACC really isn't losing much of anything if all that happens is they trade Maryland for us.

Reaction Score
I do agree that it could be a wash. But I don't think if they had a choice they would choice the Ct market over the DMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom