Brennan early top 25 on ESPN.com | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brennan early top 25 on ESPN.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Why are you guys getting so upset over August rankings? Jeez.

Reaction Score
How many teams do you guys see in the country that have more talent than us? Not talking chemistry, I'm talking talent at all positions including head coach. I don't see too many teams with more than us.

Reaction Score
There's no reason to be upset about these meaningless predictions at this point. Even though we think we have something to be excited about this season with the new players, we haven't seen anything yet. For us to not be top 25 there would have to be no improvement in our returning players and most of the new blood would have to fall pretty flat. We always seem to have a chip on our shoulder regarding our national perception but let's not take it personal...... Yet.

Reaction Score
These rankings are a joke but it belies a deeper issue. We're not going to get the benefit of the doubt in the preseason rankings. We have a good non conference slate, but if we blow that like we did last year our conference doesn't give us a whole lot of opportunities to make up ground. Our tournament seeding hasn't matter as much lately because of our magic, but I'd rather rely on dominant teams and great seeds than once in a generation leaders coming along every three years or so and taking us to the promised land (even if that is more fun).

Reaction Score
There's no reason to be upset about these meaningless predictions at this point. Even though we think we have something to be excited about this season with the new players, we haven't seen anything yet. For us to not be top 25 there would have to be no improvement in our returning players and most of the new blood would have to fall pretty flat. We always seem to have a chip on our shoulder regarding our national perception but let's not take it personal. Yet.
It doesn't matter. At any and every point, Eamon Brennan's drivel is meaningless.

Reaction Score
How many teams do you guys see in the country that have more talent than us? Not talking chemistry, I'm talking talent at all positions including head coach. I don't see too many teams with more than us.

Kentucky, Duke, Arizona, Cal, Maryland, LSU, UNC, and Kansas would be the schools that could have an argument, IMO. Kentucky, Duke, and Arizona probably all are. With the rest of them, it's a toss-up, IMO.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Our roster is greatly underrated by the media...Wish I had the energy to go into a Gibbs rant:mad:

Reaction Score
While I agree, the reality is till around December we are paper tigers.

Reaction Score
These preseason polls are meaningless. Last year we were a top 25 team in most preseason polls because of winning the championship the previous year. That didn't help us win games. This year we are not ranked because of our performance last year. The respect will come after we start winning games on the court, not on paper.

Reaction Score
th

Reaction Score
I have an idea, let's go out and win the Battle 4 Atlantis then beat down the Terps in our HOME AWAY FROM HOME, DA GARDEN!!!

Winning of the best early season tourneys & beating #1 will vault us from unranked to top 10

Reaction Score
Keep on dreaming, brother!!

Well ... you begin by saying: "Mark Turgeon has proven nothing ... NOTHING ... on any tangible level." And, for that, he gets paid millions.

Roster? Hmmm ... I don't think there is anyone here that thinks you are going to have better guards than us. We have the best rim protector. And our D has - for a lifetime - been more intense than the Terps.

I spot those 4 reasons. I expect the Maryland club comes in a favorite to MSG. But ... like many of our BE friends ... you will mope around the streets of 7th Avenue looking for that Blarney Stone to drink hard liquor after the beating you receive.

And ... WE ALL FEEL THIS WAY here

Reaction Score
Eamon tweeted that we were essentially next team out. Think #26 is still too low, but we'll see when the season rolls along.

Reaction Score
Well ... you begin by saying: "Mark Turgeon has proven nothing ... NOTHING ... on any tangible level." And, for that, he gets paid millions.

Roster? Hmmm ... I don't think there is anyone here that thinks you are going to have better guards than us. We have the best rim protector. And our D has - for a lifetime - been more intense than the Terps.

I spot those 4 reasons. I expect the Maryland club comes in a favorite to MSG. But ... like many of our BE friends ... you will mope around the streets of 7th Avenue looking for that Blarney Stone to drink hard liquor after the beating you receive.

And ... WE ALL FEEL THIS WAY here
If we are being realistic here I'd say Maryland has the advantage with Melo and Stone over our best guard and Brimah. I would also give Layman a small edge over Miller, but to be honest I have never seen Miller play so that's a tough call. Our guard depth is definitely better and Hamilton has a clear matchup advantage. Should be a great game and hopefully we come out on top!

Reaction Score

The potential volatility in RP's game (62 to's/40 assts) is concerning to me when comparing our personnel to other top teams. I understand and agree that DH is the King of the Chessboard (per Champs)...but Purvis will have to bring the game he brought towards the end of last year. Assuming Purvis consistently lives up to his own potential and plays with a high BBIQ then UConn in my opinion will have a roster that can be matched up with any team including Maryland/UNC/Kansas/Iowa State. Although Duke & Kentucky are talent rich my expectations are both have a Sweet16 ceiling this year. I think a glaring omission to this ESPN list (besides UConn & Cincinnati) will turn out to be Florida State when reevaluating at the end of the year. If JUCO All American Benji Bell can handle the point on occasion to add depth there....it seems to me that roster is stacked with the incoming recruits. Miami and/or FSU could arguably finish ahead of Duke/Virginia when the dust clears in the ACC.

I am very bullish on Vandy (dangerous tourney team) but UConn should be the better team and I would love to see a potential #3 seed UConn vs. #6 seed Vandy match-up for a punched ticket to the S16.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Eamon tweeted that we were essentially next team out. Think #26 is still too low, but we'll see when the season rolls along.
Probably because Husky Nation jumped all over him for that purvis bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom