2025 Recruiting: - Braylon Mullins | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Braylon Mullins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stew can do the same thing with Jordan Hawkins role. Not sure as a 6th man though.
I appreciate what posters have been saying about Danny willing to go deep in his bench, but to have the starters play the lion’s share of the minutes. With that said, arguably this is the most quality depth he’s had, albeit without as many “stars” with elite level college talent. As much as Danny loves his defense, I can see him having a more balanced rotation this year than we’ve been accustomed to in order to press more and keep rotating fresh guys in to pressure the ball. I anticipate seeing a large number of players averaging 15-25 minutes a game. If you perform and play defense, you’ll play more.

Last edited:

awy

Reaction Score
play time matters for stewie for draft mostly because he needs a longer track record of being able to shoot. the other qualities such as athleticism, feel etc can be evaluated on a smaller sample.

also the mental impact of being given a more defined role is important. 15 minutes in an extended rotation is different from 15 minutes thats constantly at risk.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I appreciate what posters have been saying about Danny willing to go deep in his bench, but to have the starters play the lion’s share of the minutes. With that said, arguably this is the most quality depth he’s had, albeit without as many “stars” with elite level college talent. As much as Danny loves his defense, I can see him having a more balanced rotation this year than we’ve been accustomed to. I anticipate seeing a large number of players averaging 15-25 minutes a game. If you perform and play defense, you’ll play more.
I can see this team being similar to 2022 except the fit is much better overall and has more ball handling.

Super deep, but doesn’t have that over the top talent (at the moment at least).

Karaban is a way better fit at the 4 than Whaley though. Plus having Diarra, Nowell, Mahaney, and Ball as ball handlers is different than it being Cole and Gaffney. So expecting better results.

Reaction Score
I think you are wrong, and it's not even about projecting forward into this year's stats. I think there's some serious revisionist history about Ball. He played 22 minutes in our 9 postseason games, Stewart played 85.

If you were watching UConn games all year nothing Stewart did was unexpected. The only difference was we needed him to score those games. Just like the games Solo went off like against UNC he was ready to step up. They were both more than capable of doing it, they were just playing on the most dominant college basketball team in at least 20 years.
Absolutely. Ball fell out of the rotation as he should
Have. The foursome of Newton, Cam, Castle, and Diarra was about as good as it could get going in the postseason and there was no reason for Solo to play. Jaylin worked to carve 8-10 minutes spelling AK and had some big moments.

Listen I’m really big on Ball (that sorta sounds weird) and think he has the potential to be a stud 6th man. He has the good Russell Westbrook
vibe (I think Stew has a Carmelo vibe, fwiw) I hope Stew has a huge year as well. It’s such a nice problem to have arguing about which of our stud sophs will make a bigger leap.

Reaction Score
Might be a hot take, but I think Ball and Stewart are the most natural scorers on the team. Guys like AK is more of a play finisher/ shooter who may progress into more this year but we’ll see.

As far as give them the ball and go get a bucket though it’s Ball and Stewart imo. Whether they actually show that in their production just depends what role they have in the offense.

Liam could also be here but I honestly just haven’t watched enough of him to know whether if he’s an overall scorer or more of an elite shooter/play finisher like AK.

I kinda feel like AK is gonna remain a 3rd or 4th option while being our best player.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I kinda feel like AK is gonna remain a 3rd or 4th option while being our best player.
Agreed. He’s the best 3 and D PF in the country. Asking him to do more would be asking him to play outside of his best role imo.

Mahaney/Ball 1A
Liam/Stewart 1B

Then Karaban as far as scoring options go.

Reaction Score
This is a different year with younger and talented players. I'm willing to wait to predict who is going to start over someone else. It's still September and we haven't even had our first scrimmage. Let's do this

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
247sports had a basketball recruiting roundup with a Mullins update here:

Braylon Mullins' recruitment has sped up in the last few days as the 6-foot-5 sniper from Indiana canceled his trips to both Tennessee and Duke. He also moved up his visit to Kentucky.

As of today, it's a three-team race between UConn, Indiana and North Carolina. The Tar Heels made a strong impression on Mullins during his recent official visit to Chapel Hill. Kentucky was within striking distance for Mullins, but they still have some ground to make up following the commitment of shooter Jasper Johnson. Mullins will take his official visit to Indiana this week before heading to Lexington. He, then, will decide where he'll play next year.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Agreed. He’s the best 3 and D PF in the country. Asking him to do more would be asking him to play outside of his best role imo.

Mahaney/Ball 1A
Liam/Stewart 1B

Then Karaban as far as scoring options go.
Haha

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Haha
It’s not disrespectful to Alex. But realistically looking at his strengths and weaknesses.

He’s a super smart player. A treamendous finisher and spot up shooter. Also elite at moving without the ball and making the right play.

I’m not sure how great he is at creating his own shot off the dribble. So yeah, it’s best if we can keep him in his role that he does better than anyone else in the country to highlight what he’s great at doing. Which would also be his role in the NBA.

Reaction Score
It’s not disrespectful to Alex. But realistically looking at his strengths and weaknesses.

He’s a super smart player. A treamendous finisher and spot up shooter. Also elite at moving without the ball and making the right play.

I’m not sure how great he is at creating his own shot off the dribble. So yeah, it’s best if we can keep him in his role that he does better than anyone else in the country to highlight what he’s great at doing. Which would also be his role in the NBA.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if he is our leading scorer, while not being the primary option. He is just so damn efficient and such a good play-finisher. If we are wrong it’s probably a good thing and he did have what, 3 iso step backs to close out Texas? So maybe we are wrong. But I think whoever takes over the Newton role and McNeely will be the two guys getting up the most shots.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

He came back because he heard from the NBA that he needs to expand his repertoire and prove that he has a complete game, not to just do the same things he did last year.

Also, it would be gross incompetence for Danny to limit him to last year's role. He is the poster boy for expanding your skill set and worth every year- an amazing advertisement to future 4 star sleeper recruits, and an example to players like Stewart that sticking around for three years leads to good things.

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s just the number but seeing a lot of Jordan Hawkins in that third clip
That's what I want out of the 2025 signing. A guy who can go lights out from range. Guys like Rashad and Hawk on the right team are demoralizing, watch the 22-23 run to see teams feel a little hope then BANG Hawkins pure perfection from deep.

With Mahaney and Nowell plus Ball, we don't really have a sniper from the outside. I would really like to see what he can do in this offense. That would be a great blend of G's to go with Stewart, Reed, Ross, and the 2 bigs I think we end up with (Bundalo and Reibe)

Reaction Score
I appreciate Zanetto and the Filed of 68 guys. All bring attention to and info about UConn basketball. Zanetto may be a bit overly ambitious, which dillutes his product, but for an ameteur he does a respectable job. I think we should lighten-up on the criticism.
Agreed … a lot of ppl especially in this form are over critical of him & he never claimed to be an insider… he even said that he’s a bias life long UConn fans not an insider but that some of his connections have grown since doing lock on UConn mind then it’s only almost yr 2 for him so it’s only gonna grow in the future ppl really need to lighten up or just stop listening nobody forcing them

Reaction Score
Agreed … a lot of ppl especially in this form are over critical of him & he never claimed to be an insider… he even said that he’s a bias life long UConn fans not an insider but that some of his connections have grown since doing lock on UConn mind then it’s only almost yr 2 for him so it’s only gonna grow in the future ppl really need to lighten up or just stop listening nobody forcing them
I think both are true.

He can't just say "I'm not a journalist" and then ... break news, intentionally, for clicks and income. That's being a journalist. He will be criticized if he does the journalism poorly.

But yes, he's newer to this. And as you say I'm sure his connections are growing. With that he needs to do a better job of corroborating and double checking his sources when necessary. He often downplays and says it's just what he's been told or whatever, but then will use the content as a clickbait headline, which amplifies the single sourced rumor info. He will develop a poor reputation as a gossip if he's just repeating whatever he's told and his content will have less value.

Reaction Score
Agreed … I think if AK is our leading scorer we’re in trouble his game isn’t built like that but he’s very serviceable 13-15ppg 7rb 3ast & a ton of heart & leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom