Brad Stevens? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brad Stevens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Could be like thibs? The best defensive mind in the nba?!? I actually think this is a great move, nothing to lose for ainge. Stevens turns out bad, gather assets. Stevens turns out good, develop assets. if they move Rondo that team is losing 60 games anyway

caw

Reaction Score
Could be like thibs? The best defensive mind in the nba?!? I actually think this is a great move, nothing to lose for ainge. Stevens turns out bad, gather assets. Stevens turns out good, develop assets. if they move Rondo that team is losing 60 games anyway

Yes, could. Not will.

I agree Thibs is the best defensive mind in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I actually think its a great hire for the Celtics. Stevens will have the chance to learn on the job and I assume will be a pretty good nba coach once the Celtics are relevant again. I am bit surprised that Stevens accepted it, but I assume they threw a ton of money his way that he simply couldn't pass it up. For Butler, its devastating. Stevens was that program and there isn't a single guy out there that will duplicate what he has done.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Eh, he'll know how to coach young guys at least. And white guys too, so our latest draft picks should be all set.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
love this as a celts fan.before ollie was hired i really wanted us to sign him, even though now i wouldn't trade ollie for ANY coach.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wow. Bad move for pretty much everyone involved.
And Butler returns to obscurity....

Except for Stevens. If this doesn't work out, he'll still have his pick of the plum jobs in the NCAA. If it does, then he's set. He'll come out like roses either way. Win win.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Its a good move for Stevens, but not good for the Celtics. Stevens try's his hand at the NBA and if it doesnt work out for him he will have a ton of college jobs lined up for him. Its not as if an established NBA coach is gonna be interested in coaching in a rebuilding situation.

They need to get him some Thibodeau-esque assistants. If so, he should be OK. Not as arrogant as Pitino. Besides, what established NBA coach is going to want to tank for a few years. Might as well take a flier on a guy who CAN coach, but you're just not sure about the level. I love Danny Ainge here. Guy has so much balls for a GM, and in the NBA, that is gnikcvf refreshing.

Reaction Score
Except maybe for Carlissimo I can't think of any other college coach that made it in the NBA. Two different animals.

Oh, and I think Carlissimo had a big falling out with one of his players.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Pitino was president and dir. Of player personnel. He blames his failure in Boston on not winning the lottery (Tim Duncan) and he gave a total of 30 games to Billups before shipping him off. Stevens won't have that pressure.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

They set themselves up to fail if they didn't get Duncan. Obviously, Pitino was the orchestrator of that strategy.

Reaction Score
They need to get him some Thibodeau-esque assistants. If so, he should be OK. Not as arrogant as Pitino. Besides, what established NBA coach is going to want to tank for a few years. Might as well take a flier on a guy who CAN coach, but you're just not sure about the level. I love Danny Ainge here. Guy has so much balls for a GM, and in the NBA, that is gnikcvf refreshing.

And Ainge has shown a willingness to stick with coaches he likes through losing. Rivers was 102-134 in his first three years, and just looked awful. Granted the trades for Allen and Garnett changed his fortunes, but there was no reason for Ainge to not fire him after the 3rd year. No one would have cared, and the team could have started fresh.

Reaction Score
Why the hell is Butler going to suck now? Look at their immediate coaching history. Coaches go there, do well, get better jobs. That will draw someone good in, and they will have every chance to continue being good. Matta made the move work, Lickliter didnt, but all these young coaches want is the opportunity.

Whether Butler is a good Big East fit being a non-catholic is another issue all together.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And Ainge has shown a willingness to stick with coaches he likes through losing. Rivers was 102-134 in his first three years, and just looked awful. Granted the trades for Allen and Garnett changed his fortunes, but there was no reason for Ainge to not fire him after the 3rd year. No one would have cared, and the team could have started fresh.
If you remember, the Cs lost the lottery that year too. They drafted Jeff green and shipped him in a draft day package for Allen, which is what convinced a reluctant Garnett to waive his no-trade clause and come to Boston (a trade on which McHale and Ainge basically colluded).

Pierce was disgruntled all season. The Celtics made a razor thin vieled attept to lose as many games as possible to either get the 1st pick or the parts to win the very next year. Keeping Rivers was a reward for tanking 2006-07.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If I'm butler I offer Shaka big bucks
Horizontal move for Smart. He might as well stay where he is.

Reaction Score
Obviously I want the Celtics to get Wiggins, but I really think that as long as they get in the top 6 then they have a shot at a franchise level player. Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Smart, Gordon, and Harrison look really good and this is before anybody plays their way to the top. Exciting.

Reaction Score
Horizontal move for Smart. He might as well stay where he is.

big name coaches dont go to a mid major, big name coaches become big name coaches at a mid major like Calhoun at Northeastern

Reaction Score
Why the hell is Butler going to suck now? Look at their immediate coaching history. Coaches go there, do well, get better jobs. That will draw someone good in, and they will have every chance to continue being good. Matta made the move work, Lickliter didnt, but all these young coaches want is the opportunity.

Whether Butler is a good Big East fit being a non-catholic is another issue all together.

Because they ain't in the Horizon any more. Lots of losses, more difficulty getting to the tourney, your record begins to look lackluster. Look at Karl Hobbs at GW. He had them ranked #5 at the end of the year one year. But coming out of the A10 consistently was too tough .

Reaction Score
Butler will still be good they were good before Stevens got there, top 15-20 good probably not.

Reaction Score
Obviously I want the Celtics to get Wiggins, but I really think that as long as they get in the top 6 then they have a shot at a franchise level player. Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Smart, Gordon, and Harrison look really good and this is before anybody plays their way to the top. Exciting.

But we say this every year about the draft, and then it approaches and everyone holds their noses.

Jabari Parker, by the ay, has been branded as being relatively unathletic for all the hype he got.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like the move. All too often, you have retreads in head coaching positions like Doug Collins or Vinny Del Negro or George Karl. This guy clearly has "something" about him and in a rebuilding phase, I'm not sure it's a bad gamble.

At the very least, you have to think LeBron owns the East for the next 5-7 years. Give Stevens a trial period to see if he's got what it takes and re-evaluate from there.
I pretty much agree with this. He's clearly a smart guy with a good basketball mind who did a great job motivating hoosiers who, for the most part, had no legitimate NBA expectations or the egos that come with them. I'm not sure that his "something" will translate in the NBA, where managing egos is a big part of the job; and unlike someone like, say, Spoelstra, he won't have the benefit of apprenticing under a coach like Riley. But he's worth a shot to generate some good-guy good will while the Celts rebuild and likely suck for a while. If he works out, great. If not, he's not a bad place holder until they have some big pieces in place again.

No downside whatsoever for Stevens. He couldn't have leveraged his position any better imo.

Reaction Score
Didn't see that coming. Think I like it. Figured it would be Del Negro.

He will definitely earn his pay having to manage Rondo and his headcaseness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom