bracketology thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

bracketology thoughts

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't see how Maryland is not in UConn's Bracket regardless if they are a #2 or #3 Seed. Bridgeport is the closest Regional to College Park. Even if they're the last #2 Seed the other 2 seeds are closer to other Regions. If they end up as a #3 Seed, they'll be the 1st #3 Seed, thus sent to Bridgeport. Charlie has them as a #3 Seed in today's Bracket. Bracketology: Bracketology with Charlie Creme

I guess because of Conference problems, Charlie has Duke as a #3 Seed going to Stockton and Stanford going to Lexington as a #3 Seed. He has Oregon St as a #2 Seed in Stockton, and I presume that means Stanford can't be in the same region.

Has the Lady Vols as a 6 Seed in Bridgeport and they would have to beat Maryland on their home court to get to Bridgeport. I wonder if the Lady Vols would host if they happen to win the SEC Tournament. They have ugly losses, but some impressive wins if that would happen.

Reaction Score
there is really not too much differences when seeded No. 2 or 3. Big differences btwn no3 & 4
Agreed. AP rankings just came out (which I think are garbage) and Texas is ranked 12. Unless Texas steamrolls through their conference tournament, I think they will be a 3 seed. Looking at Charlie Creme's last bracket, I would love for OSU to stay a 2 seed in SC's region. That looks to be the easiest of his 4 brackets. I know it will all change this week.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Do I read this correctly? That Kelsey Plum may be introduced to Kia Nurse in Bridgeport? :)

I think I get what you are saying, but do you know they have already played against each other? Pan Am games in Toronto. Kia got a lot of minutes Plum not so many. Kia and Canada won that game. USA with Breanna and Moria, lost.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think I get what you are saying, but do you know they have already played against each other? Pan Am games in Toronto. Kia got a lot of minutes Plum not so many. Kia and Canada won that game. USA with Breanna and Moria, lost.
Kia had 30+ pts in that game, so she outscored Stewie, Mo & Plum. Not a bad day's work.

Reaction Score
Don't see how Maryland is not in UConn's Bracket regardless if they are a #2 or #3 Seed. Bridgeport is the closest Regional to College Park. Even if they're the last #2 Seed the other 2 seeds are closer to other Regions. If they end up as a #3 Seed, they'll be the 1st #3 Seed, thus sent to Bridgeport. Charlie has them as a #3 Seed in today's Bracket. Bracketology: Bracketology with Charlie Creme

I guess because of Conference problems, Charlie has Duke as a #3 Seed going to Stockton and Stanford going to Lexington as a #3 Seed. He has Oregon St as a #2 Seed in Stockton, and I presume that means Stanford can't be in the same region.

Has the Lady Vols as a 6 Seed in Bridgeport and they would have to beat Maryland on their home court to get to Bridgeport. I wonder if the Lady Vols would host if they happen to win the SEC Tournament. They have ugly losses, but some impressive wins if that would happen.

Someone had a post showing the records of teams agains RPI Top-50 teams, and Tennessee had one of the best in WCBB. UConn, with a 14-0 record was best, followed by ND with what is now 11-4. I think Tennessee is 10-7 (?).

Update?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Someone had a post showing the records of teams agains RPI Top-50 teams, and Tennessee had one of the best in WCBB. UConn, with a 14-0 record was best, followed by ND with what is now 11-4. I think Tennessee is 10-7 (?).

Update?

ByQ90BI.png

Plebe

Reaction Score

Update?

No question that Tennessee has a collection of high-end wins to rival anyone's except UConn's. Of their 8 top-50 wins, 6 are over the RPI top 25; 4 are over the RPI top 10; and 3 are over the RPI top 5 (!). The counterweight, of course, is those bad losses to teams like Ole Miss, Alabama, and Virginia Tech.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
2016-2017 Men's College Basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Live - WarrenNolan.com

By far the best resource I've found for this stuff (have you found another?). The "nitty gritty plus team sheets" is the best visual layout I've seen of detailed team resumes:
Nitty Gritty Report with Team Pages for 2016-2017 NCAA Women's College Basketball - WarrenNolan.com

I hadnt seen a Nitty Gritty report for women since Jerry Palm stopped doing women's RPI. I had been getting RPIs from realtimerpi.com, but this site you found totally kicks ash!

Plebe

Reaction Score
I hadnt seen a Nitty Gritty report for women since Jerry Palm stopped doing women's RPI. I had been getting RPIs from realtimerpi.com, but this site you found totally kicks ash!
It does indeed. And whenever there's any technical glitch with the site, Warren is good about responding and fixing. He does a great job.

It's pretty sad that ESPN does a nitty gritty report for MCBB but not for the women.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
  • If Wash is the #2, then Stanford & UCLA cannot be in that top 4.
  • Louisville and UCLA are the stronger 4 seeds. The #1 overall seed should get the lowest #4 if possible.
  • The committee already has a lot of procedures that make bracketing a challenge. To add another - avoid rematches - would make it even more difficult. And, to the point, there is no such rule currently.
  • The committee's 1st goal is to create even, fair brackets. Thus the use of the S-curve to the extent possible.
Thanks, the key is being as close to the S curve given the higher priority rules. As the committee does consider prior matches for Conference and to a lesser extent OOC (I highly doubt they would put 2 prior OOC teams in UConn group, 1 yes, 2 no). They also keep an eye for interesting television, so it will be interesting which path they take and I think the Conf Tournys will justify how they implement.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks, the key is being as close to the S curve given the higher priority rules. As the committee does consider prior matches for Conference and to a lesser extent OOC (I highly doubt they would put 2 prior OOC teams in UConn group, 1 yes, 2 no). They also keep an eye for interesting television, so it will be interesting which path they take and I think the Conf Tournys will justify how they implement.

The only guideline in the bracketing principles related to avoiding rematches of regular-season opponents (aside from separating teams from the same conference) is listed under "additional considerations" and says: "If possible, rematches of regular-season games should be avoided in the first- and second-rounds."

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I asked and you answered- thank you. My own view is I doubt the committee will put 2 teams from UConn OOC in their group! And YES, given a choice of matching UConn vs. tOSU or UCOnn vs. Tenn (if tOSU is 16 and Tenn is 15) the committee will put Tenn in to get ESPN viewership! I cannot be any more clear than that. It is why the committee has host games on high seeds campuses for attendance and they need the money from TV so slotting 1 S curve slot up or down will occur. So you can keep your opinion and I will most definitely keep mine. I hope you are not trying to be snarky as it would be a tad uncivilized on such a cordial forum. ;).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Maryland has played 11 Games against Sub 200 RPI teams Three of the teams are in the BIG Conference. Illinois, Rutgers and Wisconsin. While UConn which people complain is in a Weak Conference, didn't play any Team with a Sub 200 RPI. Houston had the lowest RPI at 173 for an AAC Team.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Maryland has played 11 Games against Sub 200 RPI teams Three of the teams are in the BIG Conference. Illinois, Rutgers and Wisconsin. While UConn which people complain is in a Weak Conference, didn't play any Team with a Sub 200 RPI. Houston had the lowest RPI at 173 for an AAC Team.
But, (and it's a BIG BUT), Maryland did play a better game against Uconn than either ND or SC. If the scenerio revolves around Uconn, then Maryland is being oushed aside.

Reaction Score
But, (and it's a BIG BUT), Maryland did play a better game against Uconn than either ND or SC. If the scenerio revolves around Uconn, then Maryland is being oushed aside.

Wrong, even though they lost by 6 they were down 21 on their home floor. SC and ND were never down that much and played UCONN tough.

Plebe

Reaction Score

I don't agree. Final margin of victory can be misleading. Neither ND nor SC ever trailed UConn by 19 in the second half. And both actually held leads in the game, which Maryland didn't do.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Wrong, even though they lost by 6 they were down 21 on their home floor. SC and ND were never down that much and played UCONN tough.
Uconn used only their top 7 players in the complete game. They won 2 quarters, and MD won 2 quarters. I would say that a team which comes back to lose by only 7 points, is more competitive than one which falls apart near the end of the game. Seeing that both teams went with their best players throughout the game, I would say that the final score matters the most, as it does in all sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom