Bracketology [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bracketology [merged thread]

Reaction Score

I like that Charlie has UConn in the Fort Wayne Region. Don't like the three seed is Oregon St. That's not a good match up for UConn with their Size. They have 6 players 6'3" or taller.

As the season progresses I don't see the Big Ten getting 9 Bids.

Did I overlook Notre Dame? I don't see them listed. Is that a Mistake by Charlie? :)

I know I shouldn't be kicking ND while they're down.
Oregon State has lost two of its top players to injury. That is indeed a good matchup.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Sunday Half Time Duke vs NC. Charlie has UConn back in the Portland Region with Oregon!!!!!!!!.

Reaction Score
So now he has UConn falling to the Ranking of #7 if you follow the number line. Am I the only that keeps saying, "I don't think so"?

1) South Carolina
2) Baylor
3) Oregon
4) Maryland
5) Louisville
6) Northwestern
7) UConn
8) Stanford

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So now he has UConn falling to the Ranking of #7 if you follow the number line. Am I the only that keeps saying, "I don't think so"?

1) South Carolina
2) Baylor
3) Oregon
4) Maryland
5) Louisville
6) Northwestern
7) UConn
8) Stanford

Not sure which link you are using but this morning has UConn 6 and NW 8

Top 16:
1. South Carolina
2. Oregon
3. Baylor
4. Maryland
5. Louisville
6. UConn
7. Stanford
8. Northwestern
9. UCLA
10. Iowa
11. NC State
12. Mississippi State
13. Indiana
14. Gonzaga
15. Arizona
16. Oregon State

Reaction Score
All our UCONN girls need to do is play their game...Prove them right or prove them wrong..We have been beaten by the top 3 teams. IMO...I believe we could beat Maryland, Louisville & Northwestern bring them on.

Reaction Score
Right now, he has us in Dallas, but says that any of 3 spots could work... Unfortunately, the one he doesn't talk about is the one most of us want... Ft. Wayne. We need Maryland and/or Louisville to lose, and then keep our fingers crossed. IMO, I would rather face Baylor than Oregon.... Baylor or SC as an opponent is a toss up to me.

Reaction Score

It was the latest one that I saw above my reply. Date was 3-1-20. And, I had Baylor as the Second #1 seed with Oregon the third. I honestly still believe that UConn ends up either a #4 or #5 in Indiana. That makes the most sense for the committee. But then again they have done some nutcase choices in the past.

Thank you!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

Top 16:
1. South Carolina
2. Oregon
3. Baylor
4. Maryland
5. Louisville
6. UConn
7. Stanford
8. Northwestern
9. UCLA
10. Iowa
11. NC State
12. Mississippi State
13. Indiana
14. Gonzaga
15. Arizona
16. Oregon State
I didn't realize that balancing the overall difficulty of the regions was one of the committee's criteria for assigning teams to regions, in addition to the S-curve and geography. It seems to me that would be a good argument for putting UConn in Fort Wayne, to avoid making it the easiest region of the four. I realize that Louisville and Maryland are likely to be higher in RPI and similar metrics than UConn, but UConn has been ranked above them all year by the AP and coaches' polls, so the "eye test" should favor UConn.

Charlie says that he decided that placing UConn in either Greenville or Portland would make the selected region by far the most difficult of the four, which is why he decided on Dallas. But he didn't comment on how "easy" the Fort Wayne region would look in comparison to the others if both Louisville and Maryland were to go there.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
While some Boneyaders are concerned where UConn will be placed, many other teams are concerned whether or not they will get an invitation to the tournament. Thankfully, UConn has not been concerned about that for many, many years.

Reaction Score
Creme doesn't have many fans in the BY so whatever he says won't hold much weight. His guess is as good as any, but just a guess. The committee will make their decisions and UConn will play their games. If we have to avenge all three losses, so be it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I didn't realize that balancing the overall difficulty of the regions was one of the committee's criteria for assigning teams to regions, in addition to the S-curve and geography. It seems to me that would be a good argument for putting UConn in Fort Wayne, to avoid making it the easiest region of the four. I realize that Louisville and Maryland are likely to be higher in RPI and similar metrics than UConn, but UConn has been ranked above them all year by the AP and coaches' polls, so the "eye test" should favor UConn.
The AP and coaches' polls are entirely irrelevant to selection, seeding and placement. The "eye test," to the very limited extent that it might actually be used, is probably not as favorable to UConn as you think.

As for the balance across regions, the following is from the tournament manual:

"After the top four seed lines have been assigned, the committee will review the relative strengths of the regions by adding the “true” seed numbers in each region to determine if any severe numerical imbalance exists. Generally, no more than five points should separate the lowest and highest total."​

Reaction Score

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have updated my 2019-20 Creme Bracketology google spreadsheet with data from Bracketology LAST UPDATED: 3/01/20 11:45 PM ET

Want to compare all three Bracketology sources by their latest release?
2019-20 COMPARISON Bracketology

Individual Bracketology
2019-20 Creme Bracketology (ESPN)
2019-20 Steinburg Bracketology (High Post Hoops)
2019-20 CSM Bracekology (College Sports Madness)

Thanks for this. Who is their right mind thinks Baylor is playing in Portland and Oregon in Dallas? Is that a typo?

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. Who is their right mind thinks Baylor is playing in Portland and Oregon in Dallas? Is that a typo?

CSM don't actually list the the regions in their bracket so was just using the same format but I have now switched them around.

The spreadsheet was provided primarily to compare seeding and possible match-ups.

Reaction Score
Wow, UConn according to latest Bracketology, has to beat Baylor in the Elite 8, then Oregon in Final 4, then probably SC in National Championship? Talk about the Ghosts of Christmas past....

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't get the #71 Georgia Tech love? The don't deserve to be in.
Purdue has been brutal down the stretch here. Toss em out.
Tell me again how a #57 RPI gets in when only the Top #48 RPI should? And if they are 1-9 in Q1 games, why? Oh yeah because they have Tennessee on the Jersey and belong to a P5...
Iowa State #53 is also a team sliding and not deserving.

#41 Bradley deserves in over all these 4.
#43 Troy also deserves in over those above.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Tell me again how a #57 RPI gets in when only the Top #48 RPI should? And if they are 1-9 in Q1 games, why? Oh yeah because they have Tennessee on the Jersey and belong to a P5...

I don't agree about Troy. Their best win and only top-100 win is over #81 Coastal Carolina, whom they also lost to. They also have a loss to #184 Louisiana (Geaux Ragin' Cajuns). Troy's resume is just not good enough. You need something other than a top 50 RPI to get in. Gotta beat somebody.

Every year there are a few teams in the 30s and low 40s of the RPI who get left out, and a few in the 50s and 60s who get in. And it doesn't always work against the mid-majors. AFAIK the lowest-RPI team to get in the women's tournament was Green Bay at #70 in 2010.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

So RPI is infallible and omnipotent in your worldview? The Committee shouldn't consider anything else?

Reaction Score
Creme doesn't have many fans in the BY so whatever he says won't hold much weight. His guess is as good as any, but just a guess. The committee will make their decisions and UConn will play their games. If we have to avenge all three losses, so be it.

What makes this guy Creme such an authority is what I want to know... Unless he has inside information and the official brackets/teams/seedlings were already chosen then his guess is about as good as anyone else's. Of course he doesn't even take into account conference tournament's.

Of course there has always been a bias against Uconn the last few years. Just like with Evina not being allowed to play. Which would have obviously made us a much better team....

But the NCAA can't have that.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I don't agree about Troy. Their best win and only top-100 win is over #81 Coastal Carolina, whom they also lost to. They also have a loss to #184 Louisiana (Geaux Ragin' Cajuns). Troy's resume is just not good enough. You need something other than a top 50 RPI to get in. Gotta beat somebody.

Every year there are a few teams in the 30s and low 40s of the RPI who get left out, and a few in the 50s and 60s who get in. And it doesn't always work against the mid-majors. AFAIK the lowest-RPI team to get in the women's tournament was Green Bay at #70 in 2010.
I am HUGE fan of Helen!!! Leave her in!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
So RPI is infallible and omnipotent in your worldview? The Committee shouldn't consider anything else?
I am not saying it's infallible, in fact, I dislike it quite a bit, I am saying they (the committee) say they use it along with Q1 and Q2 and they look at best wins, worst losses and recent trend. All of that data screams NO TO Georgia Tech and Tennessee! If they use something else, please tell us!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom