Bracketology [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bracketology [merged thread]

Reaction Score
It is so sad that the selection committee ranks teams according to geography. They ranked Louisville #5 so they could play in the nearby Ft. Wayne region. And they have UCONN ranked as a #6 going to Portland because the other #2 seeds Stanford & UCLA can't play in Oregon's region.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Anybody remember what UConn was ranked last year when they were sent to nearby Albany?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It is so sad that the selection committee ranks teams according to geography. They ranked Louisville #5 so they could play in the nearby Ft. Wayne region. And they have UCONN ranked as a #6 going to Portland because the other #2 seeds Stanford & UCLA can't play in Oregon's region.
Not true. The ranking that you see is the "true seed" per the S-curve. The committee can depart from the S-curve for geography, but in this case they didn't have to.

Last year UConn was the #5 overall seed but the committee placed them in Albany with overall #3 Louisville, rather than sending them out to Portland per the true S-curve.

Reaction Score
Not true. The ranking that you see is the "true seed" per the S-curve. The committee can depart from the S-curve for geography, but in this case they didn't have to.

Last year UConn was the #5 overall seed but the committee placed them in Albany with overall #3 Louisville, rather than sending them out to Portland per the true S-curve.
They didn't have to divert because they left Baylor at #3 & Louisville at #5. All of the ESPN analysts agreed that Louisville is locked into a #5 because they go to nearby Fort Wayne. That is what Antonelli was squawking about the whole game. And Charlie Creme just wrote that UCONN is stuck in Portland because Stanford & UCLA can't be the #2 seed there. So the committee matched Oregon & UCONN on the S curve.

Plebe

Reaction Score
They didn't have to divert because they left Baylor at #3 & Louisville at #5. All of the ESPN analysts agreed that Louisville is locked into a #5 because they go to nearby Fort Wayne. That is what Antonelli was squawking about the whole game. And Charlie Creme just wrote that UCONN is stuck in Portland because Stanford & UCLA can't be the #2 seed there. So the committee matched Oregon & UCONN on the S curve.
Baylor at #3? The committee had Baylor at #2.

First of all, pay no attention to Antonelli on anything bracket-related. Not her forte.

Secondly, Louisville isn't necessarily "locked into" #5 as their overall true seed. But the issue is that even if they slipped behind UConn on the 2 line, the committee could still send them to Ft. Wayne for geographical reasons. Again, this is exactly how it worked last year to send UConn to Albany instead of Portland.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Secondly, Louisville isn't necessarily "locked into" #5 as their overall true seed. But the issue is that even if they slipped behind UConn on the 2 line, the committee could still send them to Ft. Wayne for geographical reasons. Again, this is exactly how it worked last year to send UConn to Albany instead of Portland.

That's right. Fort Wayne. All this talk about Fort Wayne. Its bid was accepted to throw a bone to Notre Dame and the freakin' Fighting Irish don't even make the tournament. It's now the Louisville region.

Plebe

Reaction Score
First of all, pay no attention to Antonelli on anything bracket-related. Not her forte.
Just to drive this point home:

I went back to watch the start of the 2nd half (which I'd missed), and one of the first things out of Tweedledee and Tweedledum's mouth was:

"You can't see a team from your conference until the regional final. So UConn doesn't necessarily have to be in Oregon. You could've put Stanford there or UCLA."

Wrong. Stanford and UCLA cannot be in the same region as Oregon because they're among the first 4 teams selected from the Pac-12 and they're seeded 4 or higher.

Debbie should just stick to talking X's and O's.

Reaction Score
Baylor at #3? The committee had Baylor at #2.

Good stuff! Thanks for the insight.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
IF (note; big if) the top 8 rankings and locations remain the same, I like it. All of the top 3 teams are beatable for us. I can see us go Bingo, Bango, Bongo right to the natty. Oregon, Baylor, Carolina all have flaws that we can attack. I'm excited to see what Geno will do and how the team responds. I love being the underdog for a change. No pressure, just execute the game plan.

Reaction Score
I am not saying it's infallible, in fact, I dislike it quite a bit, I am saying they (the committee) say they use it along with Q1 and Q2 and they look at best wins, worst losses and recent trend. All of that data screams NO TO Georgia Tech and Tennessee! If they use something else, please tell us!
IMO they don't want Tennessee to lose their streak.

Reaction Score
I thought that teams from the same conference could meet in a regional final. Well a Pac team is going to burst in their tournament. Oregon, Stanford and UCLA. One of them is going home early.

Reaction Score
I thought that teams from the same conference could meet in a regional final. Well a Pac team is going to burst in their tournament. Oregon, Stanford and UCLA. One of them is going home early.
If UCLA falls early in their tournament, they could lose the #2 seed. Then UCONN might move from Portland to Baylor's region.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The main directive is that the first four teams selected from a conference must be placed in separate regions if they're on the top 4 seed lines.

Conference rivals can meet in the regional final (or potentially earlier) if either of them is not among the top 4 selected from the conference, and/or if either of them is seeded 5 or below.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not sure why Coach Staley felt the need to react this way and stir up her fan base and attack Lobo in the comments. Is all Lobo did was post a graphic, she didn't make any comments about any teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Not sure why Coach Staley felt the need to react this way and stir up her fan base and attack Lobo in the comments. Is all Lobo did was post a graphic, she didn't make any comments about any teams.

Don't you see, this is what it means to be a great coach in the era of social media. Send your twitter mob into an attack frenzy at the drop of a tweet.

Reaction Score

Plebe

Reaction Score
Does Smith know something Creme doesn’t know? I hope so.
She has Michigan and Rutgers playing in the first round.

Doesn't inspire confidence in her bracketology chops.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She has Michigan and Rutgers playing in the first round.

Doesn't inspire confidence in her bracketology chops.
Well she does have 8 Big Ten teams in the bracket so they would have to meet at some point before the elite 8 anyway. They did play each other twice this year so a 1st round meeting would not happen. Isn't the rule made so teams can't meet until the sweet 16? To me that is absurd if a league has more than 4 teams. Let the seeding fall where is should and only avoid the 1st round matchup. Other than that, suck it up. :D

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well she does have 8 Big Ten teams in the bracket so they would have to meet at some point before the elite 8 anyway. They did play each other twice this year so a 1st round meeting would not happen. Isn't the rule made so teams can't meet until the sweet 16? To me that is absurd if a league has more than 4 teams. Let the seeding fall where is should and only avoid the 1st round matchup. Other than that, suck it up. :D

There are four provisions pertaining to placement of conference rivals:
  • "Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines.

• "Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.

• "The committee will attempt to keep conference teams from meeting until the regional final round.

• "If the committee is unable to balance the bracket after exhausting all possible options, it has the flexibility to permit two teams from the same conference to meet each other after the first round."

If Michelle Smith doesn't know that you can't seed two teams from the same conference as #8 and #9 in the same region, then she should just stick to writing puff pieces for the Pac-12 :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
….If Michelle Smith doesn't know that you can't seed two teams from the same conference as #8 and #9 in the same region, then she and Mechelle Voepel should just stick to writing puff pieces for the Pac-12 and the rest of WCBB :rolleyes:
There, I fixed it for you. By the, I'd like to buy an "e" Alex for Mechelle Voepel...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom