Bowlsby: Big 12 Would Look "East not West" | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Bowlsby: Big 12 Would Look "East not West"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Actually, considering our attendance records we set this year, averaging 51K, the fact that we are AAU, that we live in a fertile recruiting area, and move the needle in the NYC TV market more than any other football program, including Penn State, Notre Dame, and Syracuse, I think we offer a lot more than just cable boxes. But I understand the hatred you feel....and how you wish you were in our shoes.

I agree with everything but the last line. Read my next post after the one you quoted (a joke, mostly). And for the record, UCONN would average the same 51K with a first-year B1G schedule that had PSU and Michigan on it.

Reaction Score
Why would I NOT include the early games? Rutgers was a 1AA also until 1980 when we made the jump to 1A. Did you not know that? The vast majority of game were played when both schools were at the same level. Do you actually think Rutgers has always been 1A?

And yes, Rutgers played in the first college football game. We are universally recognized as the Birthplace of College Football...including the College Football Hall of Fame, the NCAA, and well.....everyone else in the entire world....but I take great pleasure in how much that pisses you off.

So keep 'em coming. Rutgers, the Birthplace of College Football welcomes your opinion on the matter.
RU traditionally played the Alabama's and Florida's even with a 1AA roster but never gets credit for it.

Reaction Score
You could have saved yourself a lot of typing and just pointed out the fact that UCONN won more National Championships in a single sport (basketball) last year than Rutgers has won across the entirety of their AD in 150+ years.

UConn Field Hockey, 2013-14 > Rutgers Athletics, lifetime

pj

Reaction Score
Rutgers has plenty of good points but everything it can say for itself, Penn State (or Ohio State, or Michigan, or others) can trump. UConn can beat most things about Rutgers except the size of its state, the quality of its research, and the quality of its football. The first two are hard to catch up to, but the football would probably be similar if the two schools were in the same conference for an extended period.

Reaction Score
I only question why a fan of one of the "losingest" college football programs of any school in the country (494-526-39 all-time record) would disparage another school that has, at the very least, won more games than it has lost.

It's almost like you didn't even realize how long and how hard UCONN has sucked in football throughout its entire history.

Otherwise, you wouldn't have said such a stupid thing.

And speaking of the last decade, you ask if there is really any difference between the two schools.

Well, let's see. Rutgers has a record of 78-49 in the last decade. 8 regular season winning records, one losing record (2010) and one 6-6 finish. Conference mark of 36-36. Played in 9 bowl games in 10 years.

UCONN in the same time is 57-66. 6 losing seasons, only 4 winning seasons. Conference record of 28-42. Played in 4 bowl games in 10 years.

Head to Head - Rutgers 6-3 against UCONN.

Holy &hit. Are you really going to tell me that there is no difference between the two programs? You tell me who the delusional one is.

You are trying like heck to bend my comments about Rutgers being a loser, so that it seems to be about just football. Ok. That is your best angle. It is the most flattering possible light. Against our least flattering. And we have still outstretched you on the field. You will point out the flaws on our bcs team, and however mediocre they were, it was still better than your team. The Rutgers juggernaut was in the big east for how long? How many bcs games?

Given how long your school has competed in sports - don't you think it is odd how little it has accomplished in anything? I am shocked at how easily you can pretend to be a giant, when everyone else in the country looks at your AD as a giant joke.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't care what you Rutgers posters have to say. You're all garbage. Run along now.

Reaction Score
Actually, considering our attendance records we set this year, averaging 51K, the fact that we are AAU, that we live in a fertile recruiting area, and move the needle in the NYC TV market more than any other football program, including Penn State, Notre Dame, and Syracuse, I think we offer a lot more than just cable boxes. But I understand the hatred you feel....and how you wish you were in our shoes.

Fertile recruiting grounds, yet Rutgers can't recruit top talent in any sport. Why is that? How many Big East football and basketball championships did Rutgers win? How many BCS bowls did Rutgers play in?

Reaction Score
Why would I NOT include the early games? Rutgers was a 1AA also until 1980 when we made the jump to 1A. Did you not know that? The vast majority of game were played when both schools were at the same level. Do you actually think Rutgers has always been 1A?

And yes, Rutgers played in the first college football game. We are universally recognized as the Birthplace of College Football...including the College Football Hall of Fame, the NCAA, and well.....everyone else in the entire world....but I take great pleasure in how much that pisses you off.

So keep 'em coming. Rutgers, the Birthplace of College Football welcomes your opinion on the matter.
Not universally recognized. Are you really that myopic? Did you even read the link from Harvard? You know Harvard has higher standards for admission than Rutgers, right? The Ivy League is more powerful than the Big Ten? (Princeton just brought you along because they had to one-up Yale.) That joke 1869 split championship in soccer will disappear one day.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The NCAA has published attendance figures for every FBS school since 2005. During the nine years from 2005-2013, UConn averaged 37, 247 home attendance. Rutgers averaged 43,894. In 2013, Rutty was 6% above their nine year average. UConn was 17% below - an attendance drop only exceeded by three other FBS schools (Colorado, Colorado State, USF).

UConn's challenges in getting into a P5 were never related to Rutgers, which is a more obvious and safer choice.

UConn has a better average attendance over the past decade than only five other P5 schools: Duke, Washington State, Vandy, Wake and Northwestern. Had UConn kept winning post-Edsall, you probably could've added Syracuse, BC and maybe even Indiana to that list. Unfortunately, as has been noted ad infinitum, our profile is only going to get worse, not better.

As far as Cincy to B12 goes, UCF, USF and ECU all profile better for football, if that's the deciding factor.

Reaction Score
I only question why a fan of one of the "losingest" college football programs of any school in the country (494-526-39 all-time record) would disparage another school that has, at the very least, won more games than it has lost.

It's almost like you didn't even realize how long and how hard UCONN has sucked in football throughout its entire history.

And speaking of the last decade, you ask if there is really any difference between the two schools.

Well, let's see. Rutgers has a record of 78-49 in the last decade. 8 regular season winning records, one losing record (2010) and one 6-6 finish. Conference mark of 36-36. Played in 9 bowl games in 10 years.

UCONN in the same time is 57-66. 6 losing seasons, only 4 winning seasons. Conference record of 28-42. Played in 4 bowl games in 10 years.

Holy &hit. Are you really going to tell me that there is no difference between the two programs? You tell me who the delusional one is.

Why it's you who's the delusional one, of course. I read this entire post and the only thing that came to mind is.......why are you being such a whiney red-a$$ed ?

Just to clear a few things up for ya:
Rutgers BCS Bowl appearances=0
UCONN BCS Bowl appearances=1

Conclusion: Rutgers fans have ZERO credibility when attempting to denigrate UCONN football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Ah, a Rutgers fan stops by to say "Love me, love me, ....tell me we're important... because we are really....even though we had longest bowl drought of any college football program...and have a basketball program that could lose to a high school team.. don't look at our empty trophy case... we're important...really we are."

Good to see P5 membership hasn't changed you guys. Um here's some advice that you might remember from being a kid "act like you've been there before." There's a reason why you don't see UConn fans on your boards begging for your approval. It doesn't matter to us. RU's future is set because it is wedged firmly between NYC and Philly. While that might not be quite as satisfying as winning, it is your schools great claim to fame. You don't need to be successful of the field or on the court. So go cheer for your school and stop wandering the internet acting like a needy two year old.

pj

Reaction Score
And it's not me this time. It has always amazed how easy it is to get roped into discussions about Rutgers on the BY. And there isn't much that is remarkable to discuss. This thread is about the Big XII looking east. Don't get the Rutgers connection to that.

How can you look east, and not see New Jersey? The question is, can the B12 look past it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
And it's not me this time. It has always amazed how easy it is to get roped into discussions about Rutgers on the BY. And there isn't much that is remarkable to discuss. This thread is about the Big XII looking east. Don't get the Rutgers connection to that.

I made a comment about UCONN's presence inside the NYC DMA, which includes some of NJ, and the Rutgers police came out to dispute this. The same thing happens with the BC police when anyone dares to say that UCONN has a presence in/around Boston. Fact is UCONN has a significant presence in the northeast and we have to listen to, from time to time, Rutgers/BC fans who don't want to or can't come to grips with this.

Reaction Score
How can you look east, and not see New Jersey? The question is, can the B12 look past it.

I think because Rutgers has already been asked to the prom. They are not a Big 12 candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom