Bourbon & Rye | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think it’s an exciting category. Lots of room to be creative with barley, casks, aging. Some of the distilled beers have been interesting too.

I think it’s the only exciting category of whiskey right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have migrated to ASMs from Scotch. Lots of craft distillers to try in this cate.

Same.

Scotch and bourbon are fine, but it’s all variations on a very similar theme. American single malts and folks experimenting at the fringes with barrel-aging are just more interesting to me right now.

Reaction Score
Same.

Scotch and bourbon are fine, but it’s all variations on a very similar theme. American single malts and folks experimenting at the fringes with barrel-aging are just more interesting to me right now.

Here is one to consider Gentle Giant from Lost Lantern Whiskey

Full disclosure, I'm a small investor in this company, but I do think they are bringing some really interesting product to market from craft distillers.

Reaction Score
Flagged for spam.

Kidding.

Tell us more.

(Edit - Starts with Balcones?! I am in.)

lol

Founded by a young couple that have been in the whiskey business most of their professional lives. They are bringing independent bottling (much like what is done in Scotland) focusing on sourcing from craft distillers throughout the U.S. They are building up some nice relationships with distillers and putting out some award winning product. My preference are the ASMs, but they have gotten some recognition for their bourbons and as well.

....end of commercial... :)

Reaction Score
lol

Founded by a young couple that have been in the whiskey business most of their professional lives. They are bringing independent bottling (much like what is done in Scotland) focusing on sourcing from craft distillers throughout the U.S. They are building up some nice relationships with distillers and putting out some award winning product. My preference are the ASMs, but they have gotten some recognition for their bourbons and as well.

....end of commercial... :)

Been keeping an eye out in my area for these folks. They sound like a start up version of Barrell but with a broader profile of spirits on offer. The reviews I have read have all been for the most part complimentary and make me want to try some things from them. Hopefully some starts to show up in the Carolinas at some point.

Reaction Score
Been keeping an eye out in my area for these folks. They sound like a start up version of Barrell but with a broader profile of spirits on offer. The reviews I have read have all been for the most part complimentary and make me want to try some things from them. Hopefully some starts to show up in the Carolinas at some point.

Just starting to get some distribution in the PNW and in NY. Most of the business right now is through their ecommerce platform.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Flagged for spam.

Kidding.

Tell us more.

(Edit - Starts with Balcones?! I am in.)
Don't buy the Balcones rye and bourbon.

Have you tried the Old Line Single Malt? It's not as good as Westland, but it's about 1/3 the price.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Don't buy the Balcones rye and bourbon.

Have you tried the Old Line Single Malt? It's not as good as Westland, but it's about 1/3 the price.

Never even heard of it. I will likely just go with Westland - it’s not that expensive.

Balcones’ rum is not great either.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Local shop having a 15% off sale, so I grabbed an MDF distilled bourbon and a local American Malt that I’ve had before (surprisingly good).
IMG_1759.jpeg

Reaction Score
Lol. Autocorrect I think. MGP. Midwestern Grain Products. I opened it. Pretty good.

Spotted this at my local store just yesterday. If I wasnt flush with too much stuff now I may take a flyer on it. Will have to watch out for it in the future for sure.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Spotted this at my local store just yesterday. If I wasnt flush with too much stuff now I may take a flyer on it. Will have to watch out for it in the future for sure.
The Cigar Rye is better. There are bunch of these of varying prices and quality. If Tumbling Dice is around, that's a better bet.

Reaction Score
The Cigar Rye is better. There are bunch of these of varying prices and quality. If Tumbling Dice is around, that's a better bet.

Funny you would mention them. Tried this not long ago from Jays program. I must say that his palate and mine seem to be on the same page. This is delicious stuff.

20230628_203434.jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Funny you would mention them. Tried this not long ago from Jays program. I must say that his palate and mine seem to be on the same page. This is delicious stuff.

View attachment 89502
Yeah, I used to do joint/group reviews with him and learned that while I don't always align on Scotch, on Bourbon we almost always did. I think the Tumbling Dice is currently the best stuff coming from MGP.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I used to do joint/group reviews with him and learned that while I don't always align on Scotch, on Bourbon we almost always did. I think the Tumbling Dice is currently the best stuff coming from MGP.

He seems to be pretty much a peat head, and there, we part ways. For me its sherry or bourbon or some other wine finish. Not the smoky guy at all.

Reaction Score
Just found this thread. Think the best recently for me are Calumet 16 which surprised me because i was underwhelmed by their youngers stuff and at $115 is reasonable, Rabbit Hole Sherry Finished is tasty, not nearly as good as WTMK Olroso, but tasty and i typically don’t love finished stuff. So i was super suprised i liked them both. There’s also Cooper’s Daughter aged in Black Walnut barrels

I’m actually as close to offloading some of my order bottles to auction than ever before - I’ll never get through them.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Just found this thread. Think the best recently for me are Calumet 16 which surprised me because i was underwhelmed by their youngers stuff and at $115 is reasonable, Rabbit Hole Sherry Finished is tasty, not nearly as good as WTMK Olroso, but tasty and i typically don’t love finished stuff. So i was super suprised i liked them both. There’s also Cooper’s Daughter aged in Black Walnut barrels

I’m actually as close to offloading some of my order bottles to auction than ever before - I’ll never get through them.
I just picked up a Calumet 16 in NH for $139, haven't popped it open yet but probably will this coming week.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Would love to hear what you’re selling and how it goes. I have a nice collection that I plan to hold a little longer but am always interested in understanding the best way to offload it

Reaction Score
So I've got stuff from the mid-90's before all this became a thing - Sotheby's is probably the place for me - prices are all over the map - I've seen some stuff I have listed for $15K and then the same bottle $5K - the adage "it's worth what someone will pay for it" is never more true than in spirits.

Without looking I know I've got things like:

-Taylor Tornado Surviving
-Taylor BP's
-Original Black Maple Hill 21 and 16
-Plenty of PHC's
-A slew of old BTAC including the Hazmat stuff
-Old bottle style ECBP

I toss all the sleeves, I don't need them, but I know that collectors want them so that'll hurt the price a bit.

If I had someone to drink them with, I'd hold and drink them, but there's plenty of very good juice on the market and honestly, my palate isn't refined enough to pick out nuances - my reviews are usually - I like it, it's passable, or hard pass - so why not make some coin on some of the stuff I bought ages ago. The BTAC was bought at Riverside Red X in Parkville, MO in the late 90's early 00's, the Black Maple Hill was bought at Lanell's in Brooklyn in the mid 00's, the ECBP in Utica, NY like 12 years ago, etc. etc.

I think it would be the hardest to part with the old bottles of ECBP they are incredible to me.

I've been adamant about not selling, keep telling my wife I didn't buy to sell, I bought to drink, but maybe it's time.

Reaction Score
So I've got stuff from the mid-90's before all this became a thing - Sotheby's is probably the place for me - prices are all over the map - I've seen some stuff I have listed for $15K and then the same bottle $5K - the adage "it's worth what someone will pay for it" is never more true than in spirits.

Without looking I know I've got things like:

-Taylor Tornado Surviving
-Taylor BP's
-Original Black Maple Hill 21 and 16
-Plenty of PHC's
-A slew of old BTAC including the Hazmat stuff
-Old bottle style ECBP

I toss all the sleeves, I don't need them, but I know that collectors want them so that'll hurt the price a bit.

If I had someone to drink them with, I'd hold and drink them, but there's plenty of very good juice on the market and honestly, my palate isn't refined enough to pick out nuances - my reviews are usually - I like it, it's passable, or hard pass - so why not make some coin on some of the stuff I bought ages ago. The BTAC was bought at Riverside Red X in Parkville, MO in the late 90's early 00's, the Black Maple Hill was bought at Lanell's in Brooklyn in the mid 00's, the ECBP in Utica, NY like 12 years ago, etc. etc.

I think it would be the hardest to part with the old bottles of ECBP they are incredible to me.

I've been adamant about not selling, keep telling my wife I didn't buy to sell, I bought to drink, but maybe it's time.

There is one bourbon I am always actively hunting or looking for, any Stagg batch. I live in a stupid control state, so my chances are basically nil.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom