bourbon and such | Page 3 | The Boneyard

bourbon and such

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
150+ reviews is not too shabby! What are your favorite bottles (besides pappy or btac) you got in your collection?

My favorite current bottles are mostly Scotch and Rum. I'm a fan of Sherry or wine cask Edradour. Usually have to order that from Denmark.

Current bourbon: a Blanton's Straight From the Barrel (from Europe); an almost empty Smooth Ambler Old Scout single barrel barrel proof (these are now extinct); a 12 year old Wild Turkey 101 that a guy got me in Japan; and Four Roses Small Batch Reserve (just became available here). I have a very good Whistle Pig single barrel store pick rye.

Lately I've been dabbling in various craft stuff. New Riff is doing some very good things, and I have a bourbon and rye from Driftless Glen in Wisconsin that were picked by a guy I know who mods r/bourbon. He has a lot of reviews and a good website. t8ke.review - Spirits Reviews by t8ke

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Surprised by the Angel‘s Envy love.
I'm thinking it's due to liking the taste and not worrying about the backstory like those boring people you meet at a party.

Reaction Score
Thought I'd weigh in here too. I thought Angel's Envy was outstanding, but so is a smaller batch bourbon, Elijah Craig, and may be just a bit better. High bar to clear. And for rye try High West rye whiskey. Also outstanding.
I agree, Elijah Craig is my go to. It’s priced right and is outstanding. Yes, there are better bourbons out there, but not at $33/bottle and it’s readily available.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
My favorite current bottles are mostly Scotch and Rum. I'm a fan of Sherry or wine cask Edradour. Usually have to order that from Denmark.

Current bourbon: a Blanton's Straight From the Barrel (from Europe); an almost empty Smooth Ambler Old Scout single barrel barrel proof (these are now extinct); a 12 year old Wild Turkey 101 that a guy got me in Japan; and Four Roses Small Batch Reserve (just became available here). I have a very good Whistle Pig single barrel store pick rye.

Lately I've been dabbling in various craft stuff. New Riff is doing some very good things, and I have a bourbon and rye from Driftless Glen in Wisconsin that were picked by a guy I know who mods r/bourbon. He has a lot of reviews and a good website. t8ke.review - Spirits Reviews by t8ke

A buddy of mine is from Spain and he usually goes back once per year and brings back bottles of Blanton's. I don't understand why they only sell SFTB overseas. I've tried it and it was magical. I'm a huge fan of barrel proof whiskey. The same friend recently gifted me Weller 107 which is freakin awesome. It's going to be hard not to empty it within a few months.

Liquor Depot in central CT had a few great barrel proof Whistle Pig store picks a while back, at a time when Whistle Pig was hands down my favorite whiskey. Those single barrels I bought did not last long.

Another store in central that has some great bourbon is Wise Old Dog (for anyone in the area reading this). They have a really good relationship with Four Roses, which now owns High West, and they get a bunch of Midwinter ever season and also do their own barrel select whiskey each December, which I usually buy a few of.

For craft whiskey, Litchfield Distillery had some great 10 year barrel proof stuff (it was MGP, but what isn't these days) two years back and the stuff I got to sample that was currently in their barrels was even better. Not sure when that got released or if it has.

What rums are you drinking? I am getting into sipping rums a little and bought my first bottle, Diplomatico, last month. It's pretty smooth. That whole industry is foreign to me though and I need help.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A buddy of mine is from Spain and he usually goes back once per year and brings back bottles of Blanton's. I don't understand why they only sell SFTB overseas. I've tried it and it was magical. I'm a huge fan of barrel proof whiskey. The same friend recently gifted me Weller 107 which is freakin awesome. It's going to be hard not to empty it within a few months.

Liquor Depot in central CT had a few great barrel proof Whistle Pig store picks a while back, at a time when Whistle Pig was hands down my favorite whiskey. Those single barrels I bought did not last long.

Another store in central that has some great bourbon is Wise Old Dog (for anyone in the area reading this). They have a really good relationship with Four Roses, which now owns High West, and they get a bunch of Midwinter ever season and also do their own barrel select whiskey each December, which I usually buy a few of.

For craft whiskey, Litchfield Distillery had some great 10 year barrel proof stuff (it was MGP, but what isn't these days) two years back and the stuff I got to sample that was currently in their barrels was even better. Not sure when that got released or if it has.

What rums are you drinking? I am getting into sipping rums a little and bought my first bottle, Diplomatico, last month. It's pretty smooth. That whole industry is foreign to me though and I need help.

Rums I am mostly drinking Privateer and Foursquare (both under their label and Real McCoy), with a few other things ordered from finedrams in Denmark that were picked by people I know (labeled as XXX). I also love Pusser's Gunpowder and buy it whenever I find it. Maggie Campbell at Privateer (Ipswich MA) is an amazing distiller, and a genius at choosing barrels for her distillate. I've met her several times, very cool person. Privateer makes many rums most bourbon fans enjoy. Loads of single barrel, barrel proof rum aged in new charred oak.

I've got some funky Jamaican rum as well. Some people are in to drinking high ester rums neat, but I just add a little to certain cocktails to give them kick.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Rums I am mostly drinking Privateer and Foursquare (both under their label and Real McCoy), with a few other things ordered from finedrams in Denmark that were picked by people I know (labeled as XXX). I also love Pusser's Gunpowder and buy it whenever I find it. Maggie Campbell at Privateer (Ipswich MA) is an amazing distiller, and a genius at choosing barrels for her distillate. I've met her several times, very cool person. Privateer makes many rums most bourbon fans enjoy. Loads of single barrel, barrel proof rum aged in new charred oak.

I've got some funky Jamaican rum as well. Some people are in to drinking high ester rums neat, but I just add a little to certain cocktails to give them kick.

Will have to look out for those! Thanks!

Reaction Score
CC1767EF-7AC2-4979-8F0E-C62EA1EA1648.jpeg
For the life of me I can't understand how review writers do it. God bless you folks.

I've been eyeing my stash of original BMH. I'm in the midst of deciding whether to put a lot into Sotheby's and fund another land cruiser restoration or just hold and drink.

I did just finish a bottle of the very first release of The Boss Hog before it became overpriced and over dressed with the goofy topper. Was very good.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
View attachment 54781 For the life of me I can't understand how review writers do it. God bless you folks.

I've been eyeing my stash of original BMH. I'm in the midst of deciding whether to put a lot into Sotheby's and fund another land cruiser restoration or just hold and drink.

I did just finish a bottle of the very first release of The Boss Hog before it became overpriced and over dressed with the goofy topper. Was very good.

I need a bottle of this, its the number 1 priority for my collection. I have 2 bottles each of the 2, 3 and 4. Stopped buying after that cause wasn't going to pay $500+ annually for 1 bottle. But would love to have the complete set of the first 4.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
View attachment 54781 For the life of me I can't understand how review writers do it. God bless you folks.

Sadly, I came to spirits too late to get in on the VanWinkle and BTAC fun. I just missed the dusty Turkey craze. I won't pay secondary so I get samples of things that we trade. Bottle splits are pretty popular as a way to try more things, but I like working through a bottle. So far the 2014 GTS is the best I've had. But that was a sample.

I'd sell a lot if I had what you seem to have.

Reaction Score
I need a bottle of this, its the number 1 priority for my collection. I have 2 bottles each of the 2, 3 and 4. Stopped buying after that cause wasn't going to pay $500+ annually for 1 bottle. But would love to have the complete set of the first 4.

Be interesting to see if you can find it - I stopped by WP last year and most there had never seen a bottle of it, which I found odd, but unless you've been there since the beginning perhaps it's possible tjeyve never seem a bottle

Im glad WP changed their approach a while back their BS cloak and dagger approach to sourcing was a bit odd. We all know that if you’ve just opened you’ve don’t have aged stock of 12 years. Its ok we all know most of the sources mgp, hh, ad, etc.

Reaction Score
Sadly, I came to spirits too late to get in on the VanWinkle and BTAC fun. I just missed the dusty Turkey craze. I won't pay secondary so I get samples of things that we trade. Bottle splits are pretty popular as a way to try more things, but I like working through a bottle. So far the 2014 GTS is the best I've had. But that was a sample.

I'd sell a lot if I had what you seem to have.

I get it, but i never bought to sell. I only sold the PVW because a friend of a friend wanted it for something and nobody i knows drinks bourbon so wtf I'm going to drink it my myself - thats really no fun for a bottle like that.

So i end up buying a lot in the 50-150 range for dailies. I overpaid for WT cornerstone rye at $190, but i wanted to try it and while its good I'm not sure its 190 good, so i didn't buy another bottle, but i probably will at some point just to have another. I would buy a case of WT oloroso finished if i could find it. I do not like finished bourbons but that stuff hit on all the right notes for me.

Find a bottle of Mackenzie BiB bourbon - surprisingly good.

I stopped chasing the things like Booker’s Rye or Willet 21 years ago. Im not paying $3k for a bottle of booze. I’d rather spend a night at the Point for that money.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Stock up now.

Im pretty stocked up. Thanks for the excuse to buy more. I grab anything I want at a good price now anyway, since too many idiots send good bourbon into tater territory and start paying over MSRP.

By the way Tom, should this one be moved to the Food OT board?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Im pretty stocked up. Thanks for the excuse to buy more. I grab anything I want at a good price now anyway, since too many idiots send good bourbon into tater territory and start paying over MSRP.

By the way Tom, should this one be moved to the Food OT board?

'Thought it was. Now that I know, it'll be moved in a day or two.

Worth noting: The off topic threads drive site supporting ad revenue, especially off season. I'm of course referring to threads about lawn care, solar power, auto care (repair and emergency kits), and sometimes threads about booze. Entertainment, food, and travel threads also tend to help pay the bills. :)

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
fwiw. on friday afternoons at 5:55, radio 104.1 has a new feature where the host chats and tastes a sample of 'all things local alcohol' (my description) with a brewer or sumsuch kind of person. the first episode a few days ago, had some guy in the boubon biz talking aboot their bourbon offerings, and brought some of an Indiana private label bourbon that he slaps his label on, then resells it. mebbe there is a podcast.

Reaction Score
I am helping a buddy pack is mother's home up. But he opened a bottle of
willett pot still reserve. Dam good

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
fwiw. on friday afternoons at 5:55, radio 104.1 has a new feature where the host chats and tastes a sample of 'all things local alcohol' (my description) with a brewer or sumsuch kind of person. the first episode a few days ago, had some guy in the boubon biz talking aboot their bourbon offerings, and brought some of an Indiana private label bourbon that he slaps his label on, then resells it. mebbe there is a podcast.

Thats MGP. Midwest Grain Products. It’s a massive distillery in Indiana. Many bourbons and especially ryes you see on shelves were sold to those bottlers by MGP. They make some very good stuff. New distilleries in particular often buy MPG and sell it while their own stuff ages. Smooth Ambler did that. Willet did that. High West still does or blends MGP with their younger stuff. Whistle Pig 10 year is either Alberta rye or MGP rye.

Reaction Score
if you get a chance to try Garrison Brothers bourbon you won't regret it. My son bought me a bottle for Christmas, it is outstanding. From Texas 1st legal distillery.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Mrs Diesel just got me a Bottle of the A121 and the Toasted Barrell.

View attachment 66991

Nicely done by Mrs diesel. My tiny local shop is owned by a woman named Ann. When my wife goes there she often says that I would love this or that. And so she buys it for me. It’s manipulation but so far it has worked pretty well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom