bourbon and such | Page 2 | The Boneyard

bourbon and such

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jefferson's Ocean is worth a try if you never had it before.

Could you taste the sea salt from the aging at sea? I've seen that bottle and have enjoyed some of the other Jefferson products.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Could you taste the sea salt from the aging at sea? I've seen that bottle and have enjoyed some of the other Jefferson products.

Jefferson’s ocean is trash. I can’t believe anybody suggested that. The oldest Jefferson’s is ok, but still 200% of value pricing.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
A friend of mine is trying to convert me to a bourbon drinker. I usually drink gins and mezcals so it has been an interesting task. Now not being a bourbon aficionado I will say the Hudson Valley Baby Bourbon he brought, to get me started in his words, was fantastic and the price was pretty good, $35 or so. I went and bought another bottle. There is a Japanese whiskey he brought over as well that was very good. We killed the bottle and now I cannot remember what it is.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
Blade & Bow is one of my favorites, plus you can try and collect all 5 keys that represent the 5 steps of the bourbon making process. Eagle Rare is smooth and inexpensive. Evan Williams 1793 Is great for a really cheap bourbon.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A friend of mine is trying to convert me to a bourbon drinker. I usually drink gins and mezcals so it has been an interesting task. Now not being a bourbon aficionado I will say the Hudson Valley Baby Bourbon he brought, to get me started in his words, was fantastic and the price was pretty good, $35 or so. I went and bought another bottle. There is a Japanese whiskey he brought over as well that was very good. We killed the bottle and now I cannot remember what it is.

Suggest you try another if you liked that, many consider it one of the absolute worst bourbons on the market. Was the Japanese whiskey perhaps "Nikka from the Barrel"?

Mezcal is super hot right now, prices are soaring. Lots of cool craft gins out there too.

Reaction Score
My main go to is Weller. It’s really good - not too much $$$ either. Highly recommend.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
My favorites:
Knob Creek
Buffalo Trace
Woodford Reserve
Horse Soldier.

Horse Soldier is a new addition to my cabinet. Our restaurant has it and was running happy hour specials using it to make a Manhattan. Real nice, smooth flavor.

I have 2 sons who are also bourbon drinkers. When my sailor son was in Japan recently, he said I must get a bottle of Hibiki. He raves about it.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Suggest you try another if you liked that, many consider it one of the absolute worst bourbons on the market. Was the Japanese whiskey perhaps "Nikka from the Barrel"?

Mezcal is super hot right now, prices are soaring. Lots of cool craft gins out there too.

Good to know. Like I said I know nothing about whiskey. My knowledge is that I have had Jim Beam and Jack Daniels and hated them so all whiskeys must be terrible, right?

I just looked up Nikka from the Barrel and that is not what he brought. I did however find the picture of the bottle in my searches. It was Hibiki. Very good stuff (at least I thought so), then again I though the Hudson Valley was good as well.

Now if we are talking mezcal or gin I can actually speak semi intelligently about them.

Reaction Score
Decent priced ryes - Knob Creek Cask Strength, Michter's Barrel Strength, Humboldt Redwood Rye, High West Yippee Ki-Yay, and Baltimore Epoch
Just opened a bottle of Booker's Granny Batch. Overpriced is my first reaction.

Reaction Score
I like Blanton's for sipping....

and Woodford's Reserve Double Oak.

and Willet's Noah's Mill

And for my southern pals who like a less refined taste...any of the Jim Beam products.

Reaction Score
Re Angel's Envy (referenced a few times above), I don't mind the bourbon, but the rye is great. It's priced that way also. I was excited to get the bourbon at a $50+ price point because I had loved it when drinking at a friend's house. I was disappointed and told him, which is when he told me it was the rye that we drank. That bottle is more expensive and a bit harder to find. I found a bottle for $80 before the lock down.

For every day (well maybe not EVERY day) bourbons, I don't mind Basil Hayden. A bit lighter, but also a bit overpriced IMO. I think you can't go wrong with Bulleit for value to quality.

Reaction Score
Re Angel's Envy (referenced a few times above), I don't mind the bourbon, but the rye is great. It's priced that way also. I was excited to get the bourbon at a $50+ price point because I had loved it when drinking at a friend's house. I was disappointed and told him, which is when he told me it was the rye that we drank. That bottle is more expensive and a bit harder to find. I found a bottle for $80 before the lock down.

For every day (well maybe not EVERY day) bourbons, I don't mind Basil Hayden. A bit lighter, but also a bit overpriced IMO. I think you can't go wrong with Bulleit for value to quality.
Ya, the rye is really good, but usually runs close to $100 here so I havent picked it up in quite a while

There's a couple of newer distilleries out here in CO that are decent but none have really wowed me. I've tried Breckenridge, stranahans, golden moon, and some other I can't remember...

Just an aside if you're ever in Golden CO, go to the golden moon speakeasy. Make all their own spirits and their mix drinks are fantastic

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
At home: Woodford Reserve

At a restaurant: Eagle Rare, neat

At a concert: Blanton's nippers

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still have to go for Maker's Mark.

Reaction Score
Many of the above very good, but mixed like old fashions, etc Costco's Kirkland Boubon is very good for the money.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Ya, the rye is really good, but usually runs close to $100 here so I havent picked it up in quite a while

There's a couple of newer distilleries out here in CO that are decent but none have really wowed me. I've tried Breckenridge, stranahans, golden moon, and some other I can't remember...

Just an aside if you're ever in Golden CO, go to the golden moon speakeasy. Make all their own spirits and their mix drinks are fantastic

Surprised by the Angel‘s Envy love. Not a great value at its price. It’s sourced, they don’t distill anything. It’s a common practice, all the Willett except the newer Willett Family Estate bottles are sourced. Bulleit was sourced from Four Roses for years and the ten year probably still is, but the regular bottle is their distillate now.

The Angels Envy rye is sourced from MGP in Indiana. You will find a lot of rye on the market is also from MDF (sometimes called LDI). It will say distilled in Indiana on the back. A lot of other rye is sourced from Alberta Canada, like Whistle Pig (they started using MGP). The High West Ryes are usually a mix of their own rye with MGP rye. So if you like Angels Envy rye, there is probably some much cheaper stuff you would also enjoy. They aren’t all the same, some get older stock and bet barrels. But you might find one you like.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Good to know. Like I said I know nothing about whiskey. My knowledge is that I have had Jim Beam and Jack Daniels and hated them so all whiskeys must be terrible, right?

I just looked up Nikka from the Barrel and that is not what he brought. I did however find the picture of the bottle in my searches. It was Hibiki. Very good stuff (at least I thought so), then again I though the Hudson Valley was good as well.

Now if we are talking mezcal or gin I can actually speak semi intelligently about them.

Hibiki can be solid stuff. I’m not into gin, but some friends are and are finding some really great craft gins. Since aging is what holds back craft distillers, gin is something where they can certainly compete.

I vacillate between Scotch, Bourbon/Rye and Rum. Dabble in Mezcal, which certainly beats Tequila but the cost rarely seems worth it beyond the lower priced options.

Reaction Score
Surprised by the Angel‘s Envy love. Not a great value at its price. It’s sourced, they don’t distill anything. It’s a common practice, all the Willett except the newer Willett Family Estate bottles are sourced. Bulleit was sourced from Four Roses for years and the ten year probably still is, but the regular bottle is their distillate now.

The Angels Envy rye is sourced from MGP in Indiana. You will find a lot of rye on the market is also from MDF (sometimes called LDI). It will say distilled in Indiana on the back. A lot of other rye is sourced from Alberta Canada, like Whistle Pig (they started using MGP). The High West Ryes are usually a mix of their own rye with MGP rye. So if you like Angels Envy rye, there is probably some much cheaper stuff you would also enjoy. They aren’t all the same, some get older stock and bet barrels. But you might find one you like.

Angels Envy bourbon is okay but I find the rye exceptional. It’s the aging in rum barrels that gives it a very distinctive taste, IMO. I search for similar ryes but haven’t found one yet with that flavor. Every bit worth the occasional C note.

Reaction Score
Picked up a bottle of Old Weller Antique 107 a few months ago and I'd recommend.

Reaction Score
Goodness i could do chapter and verse on this topic. I’ve got 150 bottle of bourbon and rye. Just ordered another 15 bottles from Astor.

I started grabbing bottle in the late 90’s - i used to send friends PVW it was very easy to get. The 15 is the best version of PVW to me, but its not as good as the BTAC or PHC

I had never sold on the secondary until this year. I had a bottle if PVW20 that id had since ‘04 and I was never going to drink it so i passed it along for $1500.

Theres so much good juice in the market now that its a great time to like bourbon - but i hope folks move to rum or tequila en masse so i don’t have ti hunt so ling and hard for the bottles i want.

Edit: What really sucks is that K&L in CA can no longer ship to NY like they once did years ago so now i have to have friends chases bottles there for me and send them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Elijah Craig is good stuff, and it's what, 1/2 the price of Angel's Envy? I liked AE when I first tried it, but haven't been tempted since the price went up.

I wasn't a bourbon guy until a bartender at Plan B in Glastonbury recommended Elijah Craig. Eye opener.

EC used to be age stated at 12years, but that stopped in ‘16, now it’s a mix of 8-12yo juice and its still very very good.

Two great barrel proofs are Elijah Craig BP and Stagg Jr. The regular Stagg is allocated and you’ve have a hard time getting a bottle for anything near retail. Starting with release 6 they really dialed in Stagg jr. It is very good. I do like 4RBP as well, but I kind of miss Rutledge at the wheel of Four Roses. Unfortunately his Cream of Kentucky was a disappointment.

I live a high proof bourbon, but drinking 130 proof all night with friends can put any mam in his place.

I can discuss this ad naseum, unfortunately for all of you.

Reaction Score
Goodness i could do chapter and verse on this topic. I’ve got 150 bottle of bourbon and rye. Just ordered another 15 bottles from Astor.

I started grabbing bottle in the late 90’s - i used to send friends PVW it was very easy to get. The 15 is the best version of PVW to me, but its not as good as the BTAC or PHC

I had never sold on the secondary until this year. I had a bottle if PVW20 that id had since ‘04 and I was never going to drink it so i passed it along for $1500.

Theres so much good juice in the market now that its a great time to like bourbon - but i hope folks move to rum or tequila en masse so i don’t have ti hunt so ling and hard for the bottles i want.

Edit: What really sucks is that K&L in CA can no longer ship to NY like they once did years ago so now i have to have friends chases bottles there for me and send them.
Whiskey exchange just did a ballot system pre-order for pappy. Cool concept where everyone had equal chances and only got a single ballot and winners got to buy 1 bottle of 12, 15 or 20 yr for something like $120-220...I was not a lucky winner

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom