bourbon and such | The Boneyard

bourbon and such

Reaction Score
So I got some solid recommendations in the Irish whiskey thread that I've already purchased and can now vouch for...so now that you've gained my trust (in booze) what do you got for bourbons or rye?

One of my favorite bourbons is Angels Envy and I'm a fan of Basil Hayden when I go for an affordable rye

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
One of the best ways to find really really good bourbon at a reasonable price is find a local store that is good at picking their own barrels. Liquor Depot in central CT has had really good store picks in the past including Blanton's and Whistle Pig.

For making cocktails, I drink mostly Manhattans, I only use Woodford.

For making mixed drinks (ginger ale and whiskey) I use Evan Williams Small Batch 1793. Jack and Ginger when I'm at bars because most places only have the crappy regular Evan Williams.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
There is a long bourbon thread from the past if you want to search for it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Blanton's is one of my favorite mid-priced bourbons, but it's hard to find locally, and online prices are now ridiculous. Eagle Rare and Rowan's Creek are also pretty good and a little more accessible.

Reaction Score
There is a long bourbon thread from the past if you want to search for it.
I saw that one but it's from ~3 yrs ago. There are a ton of new distilleries popping up so thought I'd see what's new

Reaction Score
Angela Envy is the smoothest bourbon I’ve had. I like bourbon and have dabbled a lot but nothing seems to compare to AE.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Thought I'd weigh in here too. I thought Angel's Envy was outstanding, but so is a smaller batch bourbon, Elijah Craig, and may be just a bit better. High bar to clear. And for rye try High West rye whiskey. Also outstanding.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Thought I'd weigh in here too. I thought Angel's Envy was outstanding, but so is a smaller batch bourbon, Elijah Craig, and may be just a bit better. High bar to clear. And for rye try High West rye whiskey. Also outstanding.
Elijah Craig is good stuff, and it's what, 1/2 the price of Angel's Envy? I liked AE when I first tried it, but haven't been tempted since the price went up.

I wasn't a bourbon guy until a bartender at Plan B in Glastonbury recommended Elijah Craig. Eye opener.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Angels Envy is one of my least favorite, but it’s all preferences. Four Roses Single Barrel store picks, Knob Creek Single Barrel store picks (best value), Russel’s Reserve Single Barrel are among my favorites. Eagle Rare is solid at about $35. Whistle Pig 10 year store picks were great at $70 (rye not bourbon) but the quality of those barrels is down and the price is up. Wild Turkey 101 and Old Grand Dad bottled in bond are my budget choices.

Recommend r/bourbon on Reddit. Some very knowledgeable people and lots of reviews. I have 155 at the moment.

Reaction Score
Got a bottle of Widow Jane as a birthday gift. I like bourbon, but I'm not an expert, but this is by far my favorite bourbon ever.

Reaction Score
So I got some solid recommendations in the Irish whiskey thread that I've already purchased and can now vouch for...so now that you've gained my trust (in booze) what do you got for bourbons or rye?

One of my favorite bourbons is Angels Envy and I'm a fan of Basil Hayden when I go for an affordable rye
Angels Envy is awesome, love that stuff. Haven’t gotten to try it side by side with some of my other favorites, but I’m sure it holds up well against them. I like Blantons and Eagle Rare as well.

I live in NC and the ABC stores are pretty bad with selection, so I often go down to SC to get a better variety. As far as my go to, I really like High West’s stuff like Double Rye, Campfire, American Prairie etc. Not sure if it’s sold in CT, but I can find it in NC for $35-40 a bottle and it’s delicious. Prolly my favorite at that price range and one accessible to me.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The boneyard has gone full alcoholic lately. I love it
They say that due to lockdown half of us will become gourmet chefs, and the other half alcoholics. ;) The BY probably leans more to the latter *lol*

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
As far as my go to, I really like High West’s stuff like Double Rye, Campfire, American Prairie etc.
I really like High West Campfire. But it's $80+ locally. And when i get to the $70 mark, i tend to lean toward Scotch, if only because bourbon seems more easy to, umm, drink quickly.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You guys reminded me I need to write another review. This one is up.

ECA74470-20D6-4AF9-85C7-F6C373D79F42.jpeg

Reaction Score
I really like High West Campfire. But it's $80+ locally. And when i get to the $70 mark, i tend to lean toward Scotch, if only because bourbon seems more easy to, umm, drink quickly.
I should’ve separated that one, you’re right, it’s quite a bit more money for anyone reading. The other High West products I listed should fall within the 35-40ish range. They have a few others in that range as well. I prefer that to say Basil Hayden which is about the same price.

Reaction Score
Under 50 fav are
McKenna 10 Single Barrel
E.H. Taylor Small Batch Bourbon
John J. Bowman Single Barrel

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Curious about what you think. I wasn't really a fan. Don't remember why...maybe a little "hot"?

I really like it. If you had the 2 or 3 year they weren’t as good. Young and a bit sharp. This 4 year has Lots of caramel and vanilla, with some cherry and the usual rye spices. Hot is barely a thing for me anymore. At 54.5% this is fairly tame.

Everybody likes different things. For example “smooth” usually means ”boring” to me. Basil Hayden was the worst big producer bourbon I’ve ever had. My sister loves it.

Reaction Score
I saw that one but it's from ~3 yrs ago. There are a ton of new distilleries popping up so thought I'd see what's new
I agree, Tom, if all you ever do is look to what's cool three years ago, pretty soon it's going to be 33 years ago, so let's keep up with what's current, OK? OK?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom