Bouknight - What’s best for him? | The Boneyard

Bouknight - What’s best for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s yet another Bouknight thread, and yes there have been too many with the well meaning Casual Fan conventional wisdom that he should grab the quick bucks rather than invest in a profitable long term career and growth in himself.

Chief remembers Donyell saying how difficult his rookie year was off the court. As I recall, the rookie salary cap was going into effect the next year, so despite really wanting to stay in school, Donyell left school. What he found was that home practices and games were tough because the married players went home and he was lonely. Quite frankly, Donyell actually liked the road better since at least the team was at the same hotel. Either way the age difference mattered. At that age a year or two matters. Rudy Gay said similar things as Donyell.

For Bouknight it’s even more complicated, because he’s not had a true basketball statement of work (SOW) and the information many are relying on to state their opinion, is outdated information. Like Donyell he enjoys the UConn experience. Additionally, James has things he can work on in terms of maturity, conditioning /weight room and on the court. It’s in his interest to come back.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Peace Out Reaction GIF

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Chief, you know squat. You know as much as the rest of us casual fans.

Step off your high horse and take off your blue tinted glasses. There’s nothing that UConn can provide him in the next year that the NBA can’t, other than more classes and less $.

Reaction Score
People have been suggesting he can take the quick bucks (In this case a minimum of $10,000,000) AND work on "maturity, conditioning /weight room and on the court." You can work on that stuff in the NBA.

The reason to come back to school is not because he might be lonely in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Scottie Barnes has been so mediocre over the course of the tournament and I haven’t seen many Florida State fans writing paragraphs about why he isn’t ready to go get millions of dollars. At least not to the extent that UConn fans have with Bouknight.

I cannot stress this enough: The NBA draft takes younger guys with high potential. You do NOT have to be a perfectly polished player to go in the lottery. There is room to mature and grow in the NBA these days. His game isn’t perfect, no ones is.

This is the 10th thread about this same topic. Feels like we are wearing this one out at this point. I don’t know why our fans can’t just be happy for him, there always has to be a “but”

Reaction Score
In the past decade, only 3 juniors have been drafted in the top 5 of the NBA draft. His stock isn’t going to improve by coming back, he’s a projected lottery pick. If picked 14th or better, his salary will be a minimum of $3 million in his first year. I just don’t see what coming back for another year does for him. Get to the league and be a year closer to a second contract. Even if not, he’s gonna be a multi millionaire. Or he can come back to play for free.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Bouk is going to be just fine. I think he has good parents and a decent head on his shoulders. Would I love for him to come back, absolutely. Is it in his best interest to come back, probably not. If you are a lottery pick, the decision makes itself. All the rest of this schmutz isn't worth anything.

In a perfect world where the risk of injury didn't exist, sure he should come back, get stronger and kick some butt. However, The money he will make by going to the league without any risk of further injury makes the decision an easy one.

Reaction Score
It’s yet another Bouknight thread, and yes there have been too many with the well meaning Casual Fan conventional wisdom that he should grab the quick bucks rather than invest in a profitable long term career and growth in himself.

Chief remembers Donyell saying how difficult his rookie year was off the court. As I recall, the rookie salary cap was going into effect the next year, so despite really wanting to stay in school, Donyell left school. What he found was that home practices and games were tough because the married players went home and he was lonely. Quite frankly, Donyell actually liked the road better since at least the team was at the same hotel. Either way the age difference mattered. At that age a year or two matters.
Rudy Gay said similar things as Donyell.
For Bouknight it’s even more complicated, because he’s not had a true basketball statement of work (SOW) and the information many are relying on to state their opinion, is outdated information. Like Donyell he enjoys the UConn experience. Additionally, James has things he can work on in terms of maturity, conditioning /weight room and on the court. It’s in his interest to come back.
Agree 100%. Maybe he's ready, maybe he's not. We don't know about his maturity level emotionally but physically he needs to grow. Maybe RJ is his best friend and his confidence level isn't there yet. Maybe he wants to really prove something before he signs up with travelling with a bunch of NBA guys and isn't ready to give up having a little fun and some down time with kids his own age. It's as if people didn't bother reading what you actually wrote, perhaps under conditions of no need (UCONN).

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Maybe he's ready, maybe he's not. We don't know about his maturity level emotionally but physically he needs to grow. Maybe RJ is his best friend and his confidence level isn't there yet. Maybe he wants to really prove something before he signs up with travelling with a bunch of NBA guys and isn't ready to give up having a little fun and some down time with kids his own age. It's as if people didn't bother reading what you actually wrote, perhaps under conditions of no need (UCONN).
All seem like obvious points. The entire draft is like that. You never know how someone is going to perform at the next level. There are 1st overall picks that do horrible and there are 2nd rounders that do great. You aren’t wrong about any of that.

Where it’s wrong is the part where it says it’s in his best interest to turn down millions of dollars and come play for free again because his morale/energy was down after getting his elbow curb stomped in the middle of a pandemic season. Not every player is a vocal player/leader. He is 21 years old, he will mature more when he gets to the league just like all players do.

Again, I don’t know why the fan base can’t just be happy for him. Even if it is a mistake and it shows he wasn’t ready to play in the NBA right away, it’s his and his family’s mistake to make.

Reaction Score
All of these "it would be best if he stayed for his development" takes are so paternalistic, and frankly, reek of white knightness. When a baseball player gets drafted out of high school for 5% of what Bouk would make people say "good for him", but apparently Bouk needs more "maturation"? FOH

Reaction Score
It’s yet another Bouknight thread, and yes there have been too many with the well meaning Casual Fan conventional wisdom that he should grab the quick bucks rather than invest in a profitable long term career and growth
If Bouk has a career anything like Donyell or Rudy, then the decision to leave now is completely fine.

Reaction Score

Chief remembers Donyell saying how difficult his rookie year was off the court. As I recall, the rookie salary cap was going into effect the next year, so despite really wanting to stay in school, Donyell left school. What he found was that home practices and games were tough because the married players went home and he was lonely. Quite frankly, Donyell actually liked the road better since at least the team was at the same hotel. Either way the age difference mattered. At that age a year or two matters.
Rudy Gay said similar things as Donyell.

What an awful take. Becoming a multi-millionaire is NOT grabbing some quick bucks. It will be life changing for Bouk and his family.

As for the basketball side of it. The kid has to talent to excel in the NBA. And amazingly, his NBA team will have a weight room and a conditioning coach. His college career was an audition for the NBA. He passed. It's time to stop auditioning and take the stage. Nothing will make him mature faster. There's really no upside to remaining at UConn.

Reaction Score
All seem like obvious points. The entire draft is like that. You never know how someone is going to perform at the next level. There are 1st overall picks that do horrible and there are 2nd rounders that do great. You aren’t wrong about any of that.

Where it’s wrong is the part where it says it’s in his best interest to turn down millions of dollars and come play for free again because his morale/energy was down after getting his elbow curb stomped in the middle of a pandemic season. Not every player is a vocal player/leader. He is 21 years old, he will mature more when he gets to the league just like all players do.

Again, I don’t know why the fan base can’t just be happy for him. Even if it is a mistake and it shows he wasn’t ready to play in the NBA right away, it’s his and his family’s mistake to make.
I'm happy for him and I guess I should have stressed that we don't know what he is thinking. Plenty of NBA players have ended up in big trouble. Who'd have thought Ben Gordan would be struggling so much. I would understand if Bouk wasn't 100% confident based on some of his performances down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Thinking it’s best for a sophomore lottery pick to come back to school is the definition of a casual fan.
Youre assuming he is definitely a lottery pick. Never forget Andre Drummond was definitely a top 3 pick and fell to 9. Bouknight should listen to what the NBA scouts tell him. If they say he is a lottery pick he should go, if they say his performance down the stretch hurt his draft stock then he should return. I'm on record saying he is definitely a top 5 pick if he comes back and I don't believe he is a top 5 pick if he leaves, JMO.

Reaction Score
Youre assuming he is definitely a lottery pick. Never forget Andre Drummond was definitely a top 3 pick and fell to 9. Bouknight should listen to what the NBA scouts tell him. If they say he is a lottery pick he should go, if they say his performance down the stretch hurt his draft stock then he should return. I'm on record saying he is definitely a top 5 pick if he comes back and I don't believe he is a top 5 pick if he leaves, JMO.
This whole discussion and thread assumes he’s going to be told what almost everyone expects, that he will be a lottery pick. And a sophomore lottery pick doesn’t come back because they might be a top 5 pick as a junior. That’s just not how college and the NBA works now.

Reaction Score
I'm happy for him and I guess I should have stressed that we don't know what he is thinking. Plenty of NBA players have ended up in big trouble. Who'd have thought Ben Gordan would be struggling so much. I would understand if Bouk wasn't 100% confident based on some of his performances down the stretch.
I did hear Hurley say in his presser a couple days ago that Bouknight was disappointed about the way he ended his season, which is understandable. I’m sure he and everyone else on the team wanted it to go better. It’s just hard to turn down being a lottery pick. If he was a projected late first rounder/second rounder, I can understand these conversations more. But he has been in talks of being a lottery pick for the entire season, you can’t turn that down.

Reaction Score

you think Ben Gordon’s post retirement mental health issues are related to his decision to come out after his junior year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom