Bouknight should start | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bouknight should start

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Polley is a nice player, but James is a superstar. Gotta make the switch next game.

Reaction Score
The kid is absolutely sensational. Nobody I would rather have. The kid is the best player on the floor and it's his third college game.

Reaction Score
this kid is a gift!!!! Lucky to have him, the game comes to him. You don't usually see that in a freshman

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'll be obnoxious. Why not. He's going to be viewed by fans as better than Bazz and Lamb! :cool:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I hold Bazzz is extremely high esteem, so I'd like to see this. It will be tough.
It's a projection obviously. I also hold Bazz in high esteem which is why I made the statement. Bouk oozes game. He has it all - dribble drive, dunking, shooting passing, court awareness and rebounding. The one thing I'm not sure is whether his defense will be as good as Bazz.

In the high school game I observed he played at a couple of gears more than what he showed this first half. Absolutely unstoppable.

Reaction Score
I just mentioned this to my dad today. I could see a starting 5 of Vital, Gilbert, Bouknight, Akok, and Carlton by seasons end.

It makes a lot of sense.

& then think about Polley off the bench for 3s.

Reaction Score
It makes a lot of sense.

& then think about Polley off the bench for 3s.
Exactly. He's not a premium defender. He's not a ball handler. He's not going to create off the dribble. He takes a lot of shots on the run. Nothing like Rashad Anderson back in the day. I think they have missed a shooter like Anderson for what feels like a decade now.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Exactly. He's not a premium defender. He's not a ball handler. He's not going to create off the dribble. He takes a lot of shots on the run. Nothing like Rashad Anderson back in the day. I think they have missed a shooter like Anderson for what feels like a decade now.
I have to disagree. He's made considerable progress over last season. He's a very good defender. He should have gotten a blocked call on his one fast break. Has to learn to slide away from defender to get that call.

And his shooting has been pure that past two games. Best shooter on the team currently.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No, Bouknight is by far our best player. Alterique has been awful.

I can't believe there are people who watch Bouknight and think he shouldn't start, of course he should. He should touch the ball every time down the court.

As long as he gets minutes and is finishing games, I don’t care if he starts.

You have to think everybody in that locker room knows that JB is already their best offensive player — or at least the guy who needs the ball in his hands when the game is on the line b

Reaction Score
I have to disagree. He's made considerable progress over last season. He's a very good defender. He should have gotten a blocked call on his one fast break. Has to learn to slide away from defender to get that call.

And his shooting has been pure that past two games. Best shooter on the team currently.
You mention his defense then reference it with a very blatant charge that he committed on a fast break? Don't run right at the guy. Point blank. He's not a very good defender. I disagree. He should be getting Bouknight's minutes and vice versa.

I understand Bouknight is still working his way back into the good graces of coach Hurley, so I get it. IMO, by the end of the season I expect to see Bouknight in the starting 5.

Reaction Score
Ray Allen was the 6th man his freshman year but he was also the leading scorer. That takes pressure off the young kid .
In basketball starting is not as important as minutes.
But wasn’t Ray a freshman when we had Donyell Marshall? Different positions but DM was still considered the front man of that team until he left in 1994. I don’t remember Ray leading in scoring (he MAY have, I just don’t remember him becoming a sensation until 1994-1995 which would have been his sophomore year). DM was Big East Player of the Year in 1994 and he was a great scorer - he went #4 in the draft that year.

Reaction Score
He might be. Is that bad? Kemba was better than Bazz.
Technically Kemba came before Bazz, but regardless it's not a problem and certainly not a bad problem to have. Shouldn't the goal be to bring in superior athletes and basketball players year after year? Don't you want to bring in better talent than the program has ever seen? Kemba is a UConn legend. At the PG spot, I don't think anyone outshines him and I'm a Ricky Moore homer. Moore will always be my favorite husky.

Reaction Score
Technically Kemba came before Bazz, but regardless it's not a problem and certainly not a bad problem to have. Shouldn't the goal be to bring in superior athletes and basketball players year after year? Don't you want to bring in better talent than the program has ever seen? Kemba is a UConn legend. At the PG spot, I don't think anyone outshines him and I'm a Ricky Moore homer. Moore will always be my favorite husky.
I’m with you. I don’t get all this “he’s like Caron and Jeremy”. He’s like Bouk. He’s different and I don’t know why but it’s awesome. I think that’s pretty cool.
My favorite Huskies are: Kemba, Ray, Okafor, and Doron.
I would love to add to that list. I can’t ever take anyone off it, though.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You mention his defense then reference it with a very blatant charge that he committed on a fast break? Don't run right at the guy. Point blank. He's not a very good defender. I disagree. He should be getting Bouknight's minutes and vice versa.

I understand Bouknight is still working his way back into the good graces of coach Hurley, so I get it. IMO, by the end of the season I expect to see Bouknight in the starting 5.
Totally agree he has to work on driving to the basket and not always go straight to the basket.

His minutes as well as Christians will be reduced by Bouknight as they should be not only because Bouk is the best player but they play too many minutes and that will wear their bodies. The plan was always to rotate more players. You just need time for their development. That time is hard to know. It took a year for Brendan.

This will be a team effort all season. There is no need to put down players because we have players that are our favorites.

Why focus on his bad plays as opposed to the silky smooth shots he made in this game or how he was our most successful big guarding Jones in the Xavier game.

Reaction Score
I’m with you. I don’t get all this “he’s like Caron and Jeremy”. He’s like Bouk. He’s different and I don’t know why but it’s awesome. I think that’s pretty cool.
My favorite Huskies are: Kemba, Ray, Okafor, and Doron.
I would love to add to that list. I can’t ever take anyone off it, though.
I remember watching Doron when I was a young kid. Those years were so much fun to watch. I don't want to jump the gun here, but I think we are all in store for more fun times as fans. This team has already been fun to watch. The ugly St. Joe's loss aside. What we've seen from the squad since has been VERY encouraging. Missed layups and defensive lapses aside, the freshmen has shown plenty of ability. Bouknight is the real deal and he's only played three collegiate games thus far.

Reaction Score
His first half play was the first time we got to see what he can do for this team. Unfortunately the players did not make shots given the opportunities he set up for them.

I like our future if the injury bug stays away.
We saw him play the whole game today the way he should. Both he and Carlton made tremendous adjustments with their play when they had the ball in the paint.

Reaction Score
I remember watching Doron when I was a young kid. Those years were so much fun to watch. I don't want to jump the gun here, but I think we are all in store for more fun times as fans. This team has already been fun to watch. The ugly St. Joe's loss aside. What we've seen from the squad since has been VERY encouraging. Missed layups and defensive lapses aside, the freshmen has shown plenty of ability. Bouknight is the real deal and he's only played three collegiate games thus far.

Bouk will only get better which is awesome

Reaction Score

Polley has turned himself into a knock down shooter. I used to feel good about him taking an in rythm open catch and shoot where he's all set up. I now feel confident in him catching and shooting on the run and off curls. He's a weapon with his shot.

Will be interesting to see what Hurley does with the lineup with some cupcake games coming up. Does he start our best player in place of Polley and have Polley as our 6th man sniper or does he have our best player come off the bench to catch teams off guard, not sure anyone will be caught off guard now. No matter what, Bouknight needs to play as many minutes as possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom