Bouknight should start | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bouknight should start

Reaction Score
start him instead of polley. if bouk's sharing the floor with AG and Vital then he will automatically be taking a lot of touches away from them. we maximize the talent in the lineup and minimize the chances of hero ball at the same time. 2 birds 1 stone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. Bouknight should start in place of CV to give AG a better option. CV would be better off the bench. BA should back up AG. That’s how I see this ending up.
Yeah. You’re probably right. But, Bouknight needs more time. He’s now our second leading scorer with limited minutes.

Reaction Score
He’s played two games, lol. Let’s let this play out organically. Hurley has a great understanding of basketball, not sure benching Gilbert after 5 games is the way to go about it.

The reality is for us to do big things this year Gilbert is going to have to be a major piece & most likely the starting point guard considering the only other true point guard on the roster is Gaffney.

Let it play out, the next 5-7 games should give us a better idea about of what we have for this year & where all the pieces fit.
I didn't say bench Gilbert and Bouknight isn't a point guard but he's our best player. I'm of the opinion you always start your best player and give him as many touches as possible.

Reaction Score
No, Bouknight is by far our best player. Alterique has been awful.

I can't believe there are people who watch Bouknight and think he shouldn't start, of course he should. He should touch the ball every time down the court.
I can’t believe there are people who have watched the first several games of the season and think AG is our best player...
He isn’t even really a veteran. He’s been around but he’s been hurt. He’s something, but I’m not sure what...

Reaction Score
Hurley isn’t going to bench CV, CV is averaging 10 rebounds and almost 4 steals per. He’s been our best player thus far. It is far more likely Hurley goes 3 guard and starts Bouk in place of either Polley or Akok.
And CV is actually in a slump while still rebounding and stealing. If he finds his 3 pointer again, he’s got a great weapon who does all of these. We haven’t seen a ton of these from AG. He does hit FTs which all of them should be doing.

Reaction Score
Maybe he's our offense off the bench? All of the guys on the starting lineup serve distinct roles that Bouknight can't really replace.
Bouknight should continue playing crunch time, but killing other teams benches in the meantime.

We have had 4 games so far where we literally can’t score before the first tv timeout or close to it. Bouknight needs to be a starter, my guess is in place of Polley

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Bouknight is clearly our best offensive player. And should start, agreed.

But the whole anti Gilbert thing is overblown. He’s making the same mistake repeatedly and needs to be coached. He is easily the best ball handler, passer, and penetration guard on the team, and it is not close. He needs to adjust to his role, and let his shot come to him.

Holy cow a rational post on the Boneyard!

People saying to bench AG and CV are morons. They just need to adapt.

Reaction Score
No, Bouknight is by far our best player. Alterique has been awful.

I can't believe there are people who watch Bouknight and think he shouldn't start, of course he should. He should touch the ball every time down the court.
Ahhh...misread, my mistake. For some reason was thinking you were referring to AG. Agreed on Bouk.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure he'd be taking CV's spot. He might take Polley's spot instead.
I think Bouk is gonna start in Akok’s place since Akok has a gimpy knee and because he just deserves to start.

Reaction Score

Can they adapt? Or can AG adapt? I think CV is really just in a shooting slump - he’s rebounding and stealing. Had a smart play at the end of Florida game that showed maturity/experience. Exactly the adaptation you’re speaking about.
AG is playing like someone who can’t adapt. He didn’t get his freshman years to play like Bouk. So he’s afraid to let the ball go now.

Reaction Score
I don't mind him coming off the bench if he's subbed into the game by the first TV timeout and plays 30 minutes total.

In theory this makes sense but Hurley usually doesn’t do any subs until after the first tv timeouts so including both halves that would already be 8 minutes without Bouknight on the floor automatically.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
U still need a point guard - boukright is a shooting/scoring guard he’s not a point guard - Hurley needs to reel in AG and and make him pass more or sit. Cole next year will be the starting point guard. Boukright should start instead of Vital. Let’s see what Hurley does- we get to see what he can do with a good team- will he make the tough changes needed or play this out?

Reaction Score
Bench our leading scorer, leading rebounder, leading ball thief, best FT shooter (96+%) and leading assist man.
Brilliant.
Just brilliant.

Who also takes bad 25 foot shots early in the shot clock and is the poster child for hero ball during crunch time. If I never saw CV or AG in the court again, I would be ok with that. They simply don't play winning basketball.

Reaction Score

Yeah, 3 years of a losing record with those guys playing hero ball isn't enough. Let's make it 4.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Bouknight is clearly our best offensive player. And should start, agreed.

But the whole anti Gilbert thing is overblown. He’s making the same mistake repeatedly and needs to be coached. He is easily the best ball handler, passer, and penetration guard on the team, and it is not close. He needs to adjust to his role, and let his shot come to him.
His first half play was the first time we got to see what he can do for this team. Unfortunately the players did not make shots given the opportunities he set up for them.

I like our future if the injury bug stays away.

Reaction Score
Coach has to get the most out of every player. Maybe benching ag or cv for the start gets them motivated maybe it does the opposite. I see both sides of it. Danny will figure it out. You know bouk will be taking more time from everyone wether he starts or not. You can send a message that way as well. Awesome to have this competition for everyone on the team!

Reaction Score
Without a doubt he has starting skills with two college games under his belt. For myself personally I would like to see him be the 6th man for a little while before we give him the reigns to takeover. I’d like to see him adjust defensively to college ball bc he is so valuable and we don’t need him in foul trouble early on.
Ray Allen was the 6th man his freshman year but he was also the leading scorer. That takes pressure off the young kid .
In basketball starting is not as important as minutes.

Reaction Score
U still need a point guard - boukright is a shooting/scoring guard he’s not a point guard - Hurley needs to reel in AG and and make him pass more or sit. Cole next year will be the starting point guard. Boukright should start instead of Vital. Let’s see what Hurley does- we get to see what he can do with a good team- will he make the tough changes needed or play this out?

Do we have a PG tho? The most important thing for aPG is decision making. What has been AG’s greatest weakness.....

Reaction Score
Do we have a PG tho? The most important thing for aPG is decision making. What has been AG’s greatest weakness.....
We need him for his ballhandling and we need him for his ability to break down the defense but so far this season his breaking down the defense is a net negative because he's always driving it too far/falling over/throwing up ridiculous layups from his hip.

The start of the Xavier game it looked like there may be a change in him, he made a few nice draw and kicks but then a shot or two was missed and Akok dropped a pass that would have been a bucket and Gilbert abandoned it and went back to the out of control guy getting swallowed up in the lane.

Reaction Score
He’s played two games, lol. Let’s let this play out organically. Hurley has a great understanding of basketball, not sure benching Gilbert after 5 games is the way to go about it.

The reality is for us to do big things this year Gilbert is going to have to be a major piece & most likely the starting point guard considering the only other true point guard on the roster is Gaffney.

Let it play out, the next 5-7 games should give us a better idea about of what we have for this year & where all the pieces fit.
You are so wrong on Gilbert, He can't shoot or make good decisions. He has done this for the last couple of years ! He is not on a slump he just can't shoot. So lets give him 5 or 7 more games to loose to prove it is ridiculous !! We are a better team with him coming off the bench . Period .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom