Bouknight and Akok should be playing most minutes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bouknight and Akok should be playing most minutes

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Hurley loves this kid. You don't know basketball if you haven't seen that.

Your argument is that Akok doesn't have enough vitamins, so he can't perform offensively. Good grief dude. You don't have a clue.
Look I really don't want to argue with you. I have tried to enter into a conversation, but I see a conversation is not going to happen. If my opinion offends you just let it go and if you are unable to do that just block me.

I post my opinion and every time someone presents a cogent counterpoint or clarifying facts, I readily admit the veracity of their post. These are my opinion and I don't believe insults without facts will change my mind.

The good thing is that ignorance is curable. Have a nice day

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I went back and checked the numbers 6 fouls in 60 minutes. Not egregious. 4 fouls every 40 minutes. I give you your point on the number of fouls to date.

But I still remember not feeling good about the fouls he did get, that I don't think he will get with more experience. I really do believe that if we tried to get 30 minutes a night out him at this stage, he probably won't be around at the end.
I'm guessing you didn't major in math. I suppose your counter argument would be more minutes would result in more fouls per 10 minutes, but that's just a guess on your part. Although not a significant sample size, empirically the numbers suggest he would have 3 fouls after 30 minutes and would indeed be around at the end.

Your other argument that Akok can't play 30+ minutes at a high rate is not backed up by any reason either. He is playing 28 minutes and still going strong at that point. Trying to support your original assessment by indicating some unknown blood test results back your conclusion are ridiculous.

Sorry to not agree with either argument, but I believe you've made some emotional or personal opinions about two players and are trying to back them up with science and metrics that don't exist. I would suggest you take a step back and maybe re-evaluate your position.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you didn't major in math. I suppose your counter argument would be more minutes would result in more fouls per 10 minutes, but that's just a guess on your part. Although not a significant sample size, empirically the numbers suggest he would have 3 fouls after 30 minutes and would indeed be around at the end.

Your other argument that Akok can't play 30+ minutes at a high rate is not backed up by any reason either. He is playing 28 minutes and still going strong at that point. Trying to support your original assessment by indicating some unknown blood test results back your conclusion are ridiculous.

Sorry to not agree with either argument, but I believe you've made some emotional or personal opinions about two players and are trying to back them up with science and metrics that don't exist. I would suggest you take a step back and maybe re-evaluate your position.

Well actually, I once imagined that I knew the results of Akok's nutritional blood tests too... long before he committed here actually. I should have let Hurley know not to recruit him because he couldn't play 30 minutes a game... only 28. So you guys can blame his horrible start to the season on me. I'm sorry.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Truly, what I am saying is speculation. But do not think the science and metrics of nutrition do not exist. When Diaco came to UConn one of his first steps was to blood test the team. He was shocked at how nutritionally deficient the team was then. Ray Lewis All Pro linebacker was known to knock a Bic Mac out of the hand of a rookie and give him an apple. Akok has been under the care of Sal Alosi for eleven months with only minor modifications to his physical appearance. Part of the reason for that can be years of nutritional deficiency. Watch and see the physical difference in the player between this September and next September. I can imagine that he will gain up to 25 pounds of muscle because his nutritional base can better respond to Sal's work. And please read what I write carefully. I typically do not say anything as a fact. I use the words possible or can be to let you know that I am speculating.

As far as a player going strong after 28 minutes, I said earlier that I think DH is doing a good job monitoring his minutes now. DH give Akok frequent breaks. I do not think he would finish strong after playing 28 straight minutes.

Also, I'm not criticizing the player or the coach. Just an observation and opinion.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
Truly, what I am saying is speculation. But do not think the science and metrics of nutrition do not exist. When Diaco came to UConn one of his first steps was to blood test the team. He was shocked at how nutritionally deficient the team was then. Ray Lewis All Pro linebacker was known to knock a Bic Mac out of the hand of a rookie and give him an apple. Akok has been under the care of Sal Alosi for eleven months with only minor modifications to his physical appearance. Part of the reason for that can be years of nutritional deficiency. Watch and see the physical difference in the player between this September and next September. I can imagine that he will gain up to 25 pounds of muscle because his nutritional base can better respond to Sal's work. And please read what I write carefully. I typically do not say anything as a fact. I use the words possible or can be to let you know that I am speculating.

As far as a player going strong after 28 minutes, I said earlier that I think DH is doing a good job monitoring his minutes now. DH give Akok frequent breaks. I do not think he would finish strong after playing 28 straight minutes.

Also, I'm not criticizing the player or the coach. Just an observation and opinion.

Nutrition is very important, but (a) there are currently insufficient good blood tests to thoroughly understand nutritional status -- what can be tested may be able to distinguish a bad diet from a good diet, but cannot identity most of the missing nutrients, because most nutrients do not reside in blood or their blood levels are closely regulated regardless of nutritional status; (b) with good diet and supplementation, nutritional deficiencies can be remedied in a few months at most. It does take years to build elite strength and conditioning, so in that sense the full response to good nutrition could easily take at least 18 months to become apparent.

I felt that the high rate of injuries during the Ollie era was probably due in part to inadequate nutrition, and I hope you are right that the Alosi team has been addressing diet and nutrition. It's an important angle on athletic excellence.

Reaction Score

I agree with almost everything you say on a macro level.

Eating Healthy =Health
Long Term Health = Potential Long Term Success

...but you absolutely lost me when you mentioned bob diaco.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
perhaps you argue with the premise of the post. I said "Akok doesn't seem to have the stamina for high output over many minutes. ". It is my opinion that I have seen him play great in short bursts, but not maintain the high level of performance. His body is not fully developed and I would wager that his blood tests have shown low nutritional balance.

As far as "It's like you're purposefully being wrong and trolling or just a dunce." When the argument is lost, the loser resorts to slander.

Man, I'd argue the exact opposite. I've compared the guy to a marathon runner. He's full sprint all game, beating most bigs down the court consistently.

He gets pushed around down low, because of his thin frame, lack of weight/muscle mass. That's not going to change this year. He makes up for it by playing a different style of D, both on and off ball athletic shotblocking.

That said, he's much better foul-wise than I anticipated. I assumed he'd be Brimah-like in that department this year. But he can stay on the floor for 30min, which is more than enough.

I think his nutritional profile is fine. Sal pays enormous amount of attention to that, and the kid has been in the program for almost a year at this point.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nutrition is very important, but (a) there are currently insufficient good blood tests to thoroughly understand nutritional status -- what can be tested may be able to distinguish a bad diet from a good diet, but cannot identity most of the missing nutrients, because most nutrients do not reside in blood or their blood levels are closely regulated regardless of nutritional status; (b) with good diet and supplementation, nutritional deficiencies can be remedied in a few months at most. It does take years to build elite strength and conditioning, so in that sense the full response to good nutrition could easily take at least 18 months to become apparent.

I felt that the high rate of injuries during the Ollie era was probably due in part to inadequate nutrition, and I hope you are right that the Alosi team has been addressing diet and nutrition. It's an important angle on athletic excellence.
All of us share a common genome but the expression of the genome can vary considerably even within different cells of the same body.

Athletes have greatly benefited from past studies on conditioning and nutrition and their implementation. The amount of research and understanding of cells at the molecular level continues to grow at an exponential level.

It won’t be long (20-100 years) where a device similar to the Star Trek medical scanners will read our individual biochemistry and individualize regimens of nutrition and conditioning (as well as therapies) for people. Until this happens there will be limitations to the degree of benefit we will obtain for individuals and groups.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Inadequate nutrion, coupled by lack of strength/stability training. It was a recipe for injury. Some of the joint related injuries were probably a result of insufficient, incorrect, and unbalanced supporting muscle development.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom