Bouk nailed to the bench in opener | The Boneyard

Bouk nailed to the bench in opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kind of surprising with Rozier sitting with an injury. Long long season though. He will get a chance

Reaction Score
The coach was sending James a message. He will get his chance to respond.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the coach didn’t know enough to contact Chief for advice.
Chief thinks MJ and the coach are trying to do what’s in James best long term interest. They need no advice from me. They obviously care about James as a person and are appropriately aligning what’s best for James and the team, to give the best chance of his talent flourishing to help the team.

Reaction Score
Another career going to be wasted in Charlotte it looks like. Which makes what Melo Ball doing that much more impressive.
Not saying the Hornets aren't a crappy organization (I live in Charlotte btw) but I genuinely don't understand your thinking here. Why would any NBA team use a lottery pick only to actively shove said player to the end of the bench and get no value out of him? What's the logic in that?

If they don't like him then why did they draft him in the first place? If they've somehow already decided he doesn't fit and want to move off of him wouldn't you at least want to show him off when possible for trade value?

Reaction Score
Chief thinks MJ and the coach are trying to do what’s in James best long term interest. They need no advice from me. They obviously care about James as a person and are appropriately aligning what’s best for James and the team, to give the best chance of his talent flourishing to help the team.
Are you implying he broke a team rule via your last message above this.? how did you come up with this train of thought?

Reaction Score
Are you implying he broke a team rule via your last message above this.? how did you come up with this train of thought?
It’s not about rules enforcement, it’s about guiding James to have a successful future. He is fortunate to have a coach and an owner who care about him and also recognize his upside potential.

Reaction Score
Not saying the Hornets aren't a crappy organization (I live in Charlotte btw) but I genuinely don't understand your thinking here. Why would any NBA team use a lottery pick only to actively shove said player to the end of the bench and get no value out of him? What's the logic in that?

If they don't like him then why did they draft him in the first place? If they've somehow already decided he doesn't fit and want to move off of him wouldn't you at least want to show him off when possible for trade value?
Exactly it makes no sense. He played in the preseason games. He isn’t hurt. There is zero reasons given why he was benched. The organization has a terrible track record with rookies (again caveat being Melo) and this just proves it more. Logic doesn’t apply to them with some of the decisions they’ve made and careers they’ve derailed. Rozier even was out and he still doesn’t see the court. Meanwhile, Indiana has a rookie go off in their face.

Reaction Score
Did any other healthy lottery picks or picks higher than 20 get a DNP last night?

I've read comments from the Hornets on Bouknight and he is definitely in their plans and they seem to really believe in his talent. They are a deep team that definitely wants to make the playoffs and not as a play-in game team though.

Reaction Score
Exactly it makes no sense. He played in the preseason games. He isn’t hurt. There is zero reasons given why he was benched. The organization has a terrible track record with rookies (again caveat being Melo) and this just proves it more. Logic doesn’t apply to them with some of the decisions they’ve made and careers they’ve derailed. Rozier even was out and he still doesn’t see the court. Meanwhile, Indiana has a rookie go off in their face.
Bouk did have the scooter issue early in his days at UConn. Is it possible there was a disciplinary issue behind the scenes that wasn't serious enough to get publicized but enough to put him in the dog house for now?

Reaction Score
Bouk did have the scooter issue early in his days at UConn. Is it possible there was a disciplinary issue behind the scenes that wasn't serious enough to get publicized but enough to put him in the dog house for now?

Wasn't that Jalen Adams with the scooter issue. Bouk was driving a car that he shouldn't have been or something like that.

Reaction Score
Did any other healthy lottery picks or picks higher than 20 get a DNP last night?

I've read comments from the Hornets on Bouknight and he is definitely in their plans and they seem to really believe in his talent. They are a deep team that definitely wants to make the playoffs and not as a play-in game team though.
Yeah Corey Kispert on Washington and Kai Jones also on the Hornets

Reaction Score
Wasn't that Jalen Adams with the scooter issue. Bouk was driving a car that he shouldn't have been or something like that.
Oh right, my bad. I know there was some transgression involving a mode of transportation lol

Reaction Score
Yup. It’s becoming an annual right of passage at this point for one of our stars to get into a motor vehicle problem lmao

Reaction Score

Deep team? Rozier was out and Cody Martin, who over his career averages 4.5 ppg, played 24 minutes. Bouknight could average 4.5 ppg in 2-4 minutes, let alone 24.

I know it's one game, and this is not an overreaction because I said it on Draft Night. This is not a good place for James. They are terrible at developing players. Melo Ball is the exception, not the rule. All I ask is that the Hornets do not waste Bouk's career like they have done to countless other players. Kemba was able to barely survive being there, I'm curious what his career would have looked like if he started out at an actual competent organization.

Reaction Score
Chief said nothing about team rules.

While we'll never know the reason for a DNP, MJ was reputedly the hardest working, most focused, player in NBA history and, if there's some work ethic, maturity, or whatever issue with JB he doesn't want to see a draft choice go to waste or a young player throw away a possible bright future.

Consider the following:
-JB looked great in the rookie league and it looked as if he'd be a great match with LB and get early playing time; however
-Maturity is not high on the list of most 21 year olds;
-He's only two years out of both high school, and his "Audi" moment, which earned him court dates and a three game suspension;
-He's no longer under the watchful eye of his parents, prep school dorm staff, or DH and the staff at UConn;
-He's suddenly wealthy with a lot of free time on his hands;
-He has no real clue how much harder it is to succeed in the NBA compared to HS and two years of college;
-MJ wants him to succeed.

Reaction Score
some teams take things along slowly. look at some box scores from last year's first night. pistons didnt play saddiq bey or isaiah stewart at all, and there were main contributors by year end. twolves didnt play jaden mcdaniels at all. nuggets rj hampton. corey kispert didnt play last night. i wouldn't put too much stock into one game. but that's not exactly how this forum works, so...

Reaction Score
some teams take things along slowly. look at some box scores from last year's first night. pistons didnt play saddiq bey or isaiah stewart at all, and there were main contributors by year end. twolves didnt play jaden mcdaniels at all. nuggets rj hampton. corey kispert didnt play last night. i wouldn't put too much stock into one game. but that's not exactly how this forum works, so...
That logic works when it's not the Hornets who other than Melo Ball have been unable to develop first round picks. And before you say "PJ Washington is good too!" he's a PF who shoots 45% on a bad team...

Reaction Score
i think the answer is simple -- the hornets are under a tremendous amount of pressure to make the playoffs this year, and borrego is going to ride his veterans until some issue (losing, injuries, etc.) forces his hand.

anyone who is shocked or appalled that a rookie on a "good" team (good in quotation marks for a reason -- i don't trust charlotte) didn't play in a game does not watch enough nba basketball in 2021.

Reaction Score
The fact that the Hornets didn't play Kai Jones at all either reassures me a bit that they have some process in mind (although Kai is definitely much more raw and would be more expected to not play).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom