Boston Globe goes after UMass football | The Boneyard

Boston Globe goes after UMass football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...projections/LdMZCquclCgNI7YFMYWeNP/story.html

tudents and taxpayers have spent $1 million more than projected to help fund the first two seasons of the UMass Amherst football team’s ambitious — and so far disappointing — upgrade to elite collegiate competition, according to a report presented Thursday to the university’s Faculty Senate.

The subsidy, known as institutional support, is expected to exceed projections by an additional $600,000 next season, reaching $5.1 million of the $7.8 million football budget. The overrun is considered a reflection of the

Temple, now UMass. And I really don't blame the critics.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We've seen how tough it is to make the jump and we were in a far better position to do so than UMass. I hope they succeed and take our place in the AAC when we jump to the B1G.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's not for everyone. Their stadium and conference situation are long term losers. The also have a geography disadvantage in that they need to draw people out of Boston. My gut is that they don't make it.

Our entry into the BE and our domination of our market were critical in additon to the State gov't support. UMass lacks the first two and has only a luke warm support of the State gov't.

If it turns out we started 10 years too late for P5 FB, then UMass started 10 years too late for FBS FB.

Reaction Score
It's not for everyone. Their stadium and conference situation are long term losers. The also have a geography disadvantage in that they need to draw people out of Boston. My gut is that they don't make it.

Our entry into the BE and our domination of our market were critical in additon to the State gov't support. UMass lacks the first two and has only a luke warm support of the State gov't.

If it turns out we started 10 years too late for P5 FB, then UMass started 10 years too late for FBS FB.
I would think a stadium near Worcester would be ideal... central location could draw from all areas of the state. Airport up and running... decent local market.
Lots of alumni in the immediate area.

they definitely have an uphill battle.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think they ever draw significantly from Boston. Certainly don't think they are drawing non-alums. We have people complaining about access to the Rent and no competition in FB and much less for other entertainment options than Boston. Imagine giving up your street parking spot in the Back Bay to travel to Amherst? On a fall Saturday or a Wednesday night? Where are you storing that popup tent? Are you traveling from south of Boston, through the city, across 128, 495, 84 and back?

They can't even rely on the support from other UMass branch campuses, who have their own identity, much like the SUNY system. It's probably too little, too late and not worth the expense for a low probability of success.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Their best case scenario is 20-25k McGuirk Stadium for the majority of their games and then 1-2 home games per year at Gillette against BC, UConn etc. That's pretty much it.

Reaction Score
I would think a stadium near Worcester would be ideal... central location could draw from all areas of the state. Airport up and running... decent local market.
Lots of alumni in the immediate area.

they definitely have an uphill battle.
Worcester is a total craphole, no one from the Boston area wants to go there, and I can't imagine anyone from Amherst does either. It's either all in on Amherst or all in on Boston. If I were them, I'd stick to playing in Amherst, there's the Springfield area which can draw some people, you'd get the students on campus, alums from the city and suburbs could make a day out of it in the leafy college town and it'd feel like actual college football. Gillette is a complete losing proposition for them on all fronts. Their only shot at survival is upgrading the stadium on campus (which I understand they're doing) and playing all games there.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Worcester is a total craphole, no one from the Boston area wants to go there, and I can't imagine anyone from Amherst does either. It's either all in on Amherst or all in on Boston. If I were them, I'd stick to playing in Amherst, there's the Springfield area which can draw some people, you'd get the students on campus, alums from the city and suburbs could make a day out of it in the leafy college town and it'd feel like actual college football. Gillette is a complete losing proposition for them on all fronts. Their only shot at survival is upgrading the stadium on campus (which I understand they're doing) and playing all games there.
They're upgrading but not expanding. It's still 17k. But I agree that they should be playing their game there. 5k students, 500 visitors, 5k alums and hope for a local following to develop.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
15-17k is a good crowd in the MAC. They need to play in Amherst and reach that reasonable goal before they pretend anything more aggressive is realistic.

Reaction Score
not sure I would call worcester a craphole, but I would agree the people of boston may not want to drive outside of 495. they certainly aren't driving to foxboro.

Reaction Score
The fan level of support up here in the Boston area for UMASS football is negligible. No one knows they exist nor do they care......This is a pro sports town.
Ask BC. They can't sell out Alumni Stadium if not for solid support from BC Alumni and students on campus in the area, the fan draw is commendable ...but they are still number 5
in boston Metro area...which leaves UMASS totally out. Gillette is 2 hours from campus.

UMASS might need to go back to FCS/ or play in Amherst....they are trying/tried to replicate Husky Nation without good thought or planning. Forget it.
We have history in success with multiple national championships. We are Connecticut's {pro} team....we are strong..we are powerful. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
not sure I would call worcester a craphole, but I would agree the people of boston may not want to drive outside of 495. they certainly aren't driving to foxboro.

People in eastern MA think the state ends @ Wustah (they only acknowledge western MA when referring to Tanglewood).

Reaction Score
People in eastern MA think the state ends @ Wustah (they only acknowledge western MA when referring to Tanglewood).

Read my earlier post. You are being kind thinking it ends in Wooooster. Easterm MA & Boston Support and caring about anything in MASSACHUSETTS ends at the 128 loop. I live here. There is no support for UMASS football and there never will be... even if they were winning program. It is all about the PATS, Red Sox, Bruins and Celts.

Reaction Score
Me thinks they needed to take our route in obtaining a coach... an up and coming younger guy who wants to build a program. Don't know much about their coach, but I get the impression they hired another Coach P... Nice guy but maybe past his time to lead a program into greener pastures at the FBS level...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The unfortunate reality is that UConn's athletic financials will look a lot like UMass' pretty soon.

Reaction Score
Me thinks they needed to take our route in obtaining a coach... an up and coming younger guy who wants to build a program. Don't know much about their coach, but I get the impression they hired another Coach P... Nice guy but maybe past his time to lead a program into greener pastures at the FBS level...

Huh? Charley Molnar is 52 and was the OC under Kelly @ ND.

Reaction Score
The unfortunate reality is that UConn's athletic financials will look a lot like UMass' pretty soon.

attentionseekimage2%281%29.jpg

Reaction Score
52 is NOT young for building a program from FCS to FBS level...

and it's old??

You say you don't know anything about him and then compare him to Pasqualoni?? Tough crowd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

He was the OC at Notre Dame for 2 years which was his longest stop. Many one year stops over a long period. Facilities aren't that great. Gillette is a haul from Amherst. Academics are supposed to be flagship of Massachusetts but pretty hard
and it's old??

You say you don't know anything about him and then compare him to Pasqualoni?? Tough crowd.

Give the guy a ton of credit for trying to accomplish the impossible in an unwinnable situation with limited funding, cynical legislative support, and tough sell overall. ....regardless of the age.

Reaction Score
He was the OC at Notre Dame for 2 years which was his longest stop. Many one year stops over a long period. Facilities aren't that great. Gillette is a haul from Amherst. Academics are supposed to be flagship of Massachusetts but pretty hard

Give the guy a ton of credit for trying to accomplish the impossible in an unwinnable situation with limited funding, cynical legislative support, and tough sell overall. ....regardless of the age.
touché guys.... valid points... I'm looking at this from the outside... like on the outer shell... Haven't dug as deep as you... there's clearly more to it this than what it appears... Still rooting for UMass to make it at the FBS level... would be nice to see 4 FBS level teams in New England area ( us, 'Cuse, BCU, and UMass ).

Reaction Score
And if UMass has a change of heart w/ football (big if) - I had posted this in another thread yesterday:

>>Gotta wonder what kind of relationship Coach D had/has w/ UMass HC Charley Molnar??

Let me be clear I'm NOT advocating CM as a candidate for OC but they are both Jersey Boys and were both coaches/coordinators at the same time for Kelly in E MIch., Cincy and ND.

Molnar only makes $425k +/- @ UMass as HC. With UMass Football's viability continuing to be in the cross hairs ya have to wonder what CM is thinking.

Just a passing delusional thought...<< :eek::D

Reaction Score
And if UMass has a change of heart w/ football (big if) - I had posted this in another thread yesterday:

>>Gotta wonder what kind of relationship Coach D had/has w/ UMass HC Charley Molnar??

Let me be clear I'm NOT advocating CM as a candidate for OC but they are both Jersey Boys and were both coaches/coordinators at the same time for Kelly in E MIch., Cincy and ND.

Molnar only makes $425k +/- @ UMass as HC. With UMass Football's viability continuing to be in the cross hairs ya have to wonder what CM is thinking.

Just a passing delusional thought...<< :eek::D

That makes too much sense actually... but I'm still kinda stuck on TJW at the moment for offense... I know that normally doesn't happen (keep coordinators from old coaching regimes) but he built such momentum for this program the last 3 weeks... Hard to simply see him move on away from Storrs CT after just one season....

Reaction Score

Uh, no. Your mind is on conference TV money whereas ticket sales of $10-15m, donations and licensing of $25m are just as important. There is light years difference between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom