Boston Globe Article On Lack Of Massachusetts Teams In March Madness | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boston Globe Article On Lack Of Massachusetts Teams In March Madness

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In March 2014 I was on my way from work in Ledyard to New Haven to meet my friend, claim my $400 ticket, and catch the train to NYC for the Sweet 16. The topic Du Jour on WEEI by Michael Holley on the midday show was why Boston area schools (Specifically BC) can't do as well or as consistently as UConn.

For roughly 364 days (or more) of a given year, the programing of every show on EEI was/is dominated by professional sports. Sure, BC is in the ACC and makes a pile of money through that affiliation, but what do they do with it? The ACC benefits through the carriage fees paid by Charter and Spectrum, but what is BC's benefit? The last improvement they made to their facilities that I know of was to Alumni Stadium in 1993 after they upset ND.

Exposure is huge for college athletes. Is the ACC network a premium channel in Boston? Who's paying to watch BC sports in a pro city? IMO, the beginning of the end for BC basketball was in 1996 when admission was denied to Jonathan DePina and Elton Tyler.

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
He's an idiot.
He writes "But none of those schools move the needle here in the circulation region of the Boston Globe. And neither does college basketball"
If college basketball doesn't move the circulation needle, then why does it matter and why would he care that MA isn't represented? Pointless article.

Reaction Score
Shaunessy is such a sad sack, parochial, lazy "journalist" that is soooo stuck in the past. Time to retire grumpy old man.
Slow your roll, some of us here are retired and grumpy! We‘re your grumpy old men!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24
Top Bottom