Boston Globe Article On Lack Of Massachusetts Teams In March Madness | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boston Globe Article On Lack Of Massachusetts Teams In March Madness

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He’s counting Providence as a Mass team. How’s that work?
I think he's saying that when BC was in the Big East with PC and UConn, people in Boston took more notice of college basketball. BC was better. PC is close and UConn was coached by a guy from Braintree who had coached in Dedham and then had Northeastern on the radar in a big way with Reggie Lewis. Pat Ewing was from Cambridge too. College basketball was something Boston had a greater connection to. He's right about that.

The Globe is lazy and its staff has been gutted or we might have seen mention of Alex Karaban of Southborough MA. Those are the articles they used to write, and don't anymore. I think I saw one about Jalen Adams once, and they definitely wrote about Napier.

Reaction Score
It's Dan. Bostonians don't like Dan. I'm not aware than anybody likes Dan anymore. He's the most insufferable, miserable sports journalist there is. All he does is complain and lament that it's no longer 1987.
Sure that’s fine

I’m taking everyone not in Boston who reads the BG and form opinions about the city and its people.

Reaction Score
Edited to remove duplication.
And he's been writing like that for 60 years.
he hates UConn, and Connecticut in general. Fresh out of college I commented on one of his articles and he sent me an email to essentially say that UConn sucked.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
All we need is will McDonough waxing poetic about the two handed set shot and how it’s disappearance spelled the end of real basketball and my day will be complete.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Boston doesn't deserve us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All we need is will McDonough waxing poetic about the two handed set shot and how it’s disappearance spelled the end of real basketball and my day will be complete.
That wasn't Will. Will was the guy saying the Pats will never move to Hartford.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Oh an article written by Dan Shaughnessy about how the 1980s were a better time for sports? Don't mind if I fall asleep mid article.

Reaction Score
Good lord this is why people hate Bostonians

What a bunch of pathetic sour-grapes crap.
I don't hate Bostonians just people like Dan Shaughnessy. Called Hartford "America's file cabinet" back when The Whalers were still in town.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If only there were a solution to their lack of March relevance…

Boston and Massachusetts teams? Try, sucking less.

everybody loves raymond youre welcome GIF by TV Land Classic

Reaction Score
If only there were a solution to their lack of March relevance…

Boston and Massachusetts teams? Try, sucking less.

everybody loves raymond youre welcome GIF by TV Land Classic
I’ve thought about the article and I conclude that cities like Boston and New York, the main metro areas of the northeast, will probably never care about college basketball. You may refer to my exchange with a Creighton fan in another thread as to his indication/claim of city-wide support for a school most people didn’t go to.

The northeast is an unfriendly, cynical place, and massive amounts of people in NY/Boston aren’t from there, or even the region; just there for school and/or to work their high-level job and send their kids to good schools. There isn’t much regional pride. If BC gets into the tournament and even if it becomes some perennially decent team, sure some people might watch. But fans from other schools aren’t going to adopt them for the tournament (just look at us lol), and bars aren’t going to turn into BC bars for a month. To go back to Creighton, there really ain’t much else going on in Nebraska, relatively speaking.

Especially given all the high level pro sports Bostonians can access, I don’t think there will ever be momentum towards them or the region adopting a team. I hope one day I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you start an article with a Marty Robbins song....where can it go.?
I think all of us lament the breaking up of the BE, just another reason why here. I think every team has struggled since leaving, with flashes of upticks but never really lasting. Thanks ESPN.

Reaction Score
In fairness that’s a great line.
If I were unbiased, I would probably agree. I much prefer Bob Ryan or Jackie MacMullan. Much nicer personalities. Shaughnessy is probably not as bad as he seems. I have seen him at several concerts in the Boston area so he seems like a fairly regular guy.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’ve thought about the article and I conclude that cities like Boston and New York, the main metro areas of the northeast, will probably never care about college basketball. You may refer to my exchange with a Creighton fan in another thread as to his indication/claim of city-wide support for a school most people didn’t go to.

The northeast is an unfriendly, cynical place, and massive amounts of people in NY/Boston aren’t from there, or even the region; just there for school and/or to work their high-level job and send their kids to good schools. There isn’t much regional pride. If BC gets into the tournament and even if it becomes some perennially decent team, sure some people might watch. But fans from other schools aren’t going to adopt them for the tournament (just look at us lol), and bars aren’t going to turn into BC bars for a month. To go back to Creighton, there really ain’t much else going on in Nebraska, relatively speaking.

Especially given all the high level pro sports Bostonians can access, I don’t think there will ever be momentum towards them or the region adopting a team. I hope one day I’m wrong.
Maybe, but to even have a chance at fan interest, not sucking would seem to be a reasonable place to start.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but to even have a chance at fan interest, not sucking would seem to be a reasonable place to start.
Is UConn too far? It’s exactly a 90 minute drive… and I get that we haven’t been great so maybe that’s why so few people care about us lately… but that just goes to show how fickle people can be about college sports across the region. When you have the Bruins, Rangers, Yanks, Sox, Celtics, Pats, and the Giants to care about already…

It would be interesting to see what would happen in Boston if BC ever became a consistent contender. Boston is definitely a big enough bar city and certainly a big enough sports-watching city to where if residents consistently saw them on the TVs in bars with a number next to their name, competing for ACC championships (I lol’d typing that out) and making runs in the Tournament, I could see a possibility of people caring a bit more. But no school will ever catch the pro teams as far as fandom goes

Reaction Score
If I were unbiased, I would probably agree. I much prefer Bob Ryan or Jackie MacMullan. Much nicer personalities. Shaughnessy is probably not as bad as he seems. I have seen him at several concerts in the Boston area so he seems like a fairly regular guy.

He’s absolutely the worst but still a good line.

CL82

Reaction Score
Is UConn too far? It’s exactly a 90 minute drive… and I get that we haven’t been great so maybe that’s why so few people care about us lately… but that just goes to show how fickle people can be about college sports across the region. When you have the Bruins, Rangers, Yanks, Sox, Celtics, Pats, and the Giants to care about already…

It would be interesting to see what would happen in Boston if BC ever became a consistent contender. Boston is definitely a big enough bar city and certainly a big enough sports-watching city to where if residents consistently saw them on the TVs in bars with a number next to their name, competing for ACC championships (I lol’d typing that out) and making runs in the Tournament, I could see a possibility of people caring a bit more. But no school will ever catch the pro teams as far as fandom goes
Agree that it’s not going to rival the fan base for the Boston sports teams, but it could be relevant. That’s the benefit of a big city, you don’t need 100% interest to be able to generate decent attendance.

I feel that since I returned to the big east, there has been a lot more interest in Connecticut in certainly this season, particularly before the January slide.

I am on record and saying UMass becoming relevant is good for UConn. Having a state team that is successful would build up a fan base. Having a regional rival would be good for Connecticut. BCU on the other hand can die in a hole.

Reaction Score

I think Boston and New York are different. Boston has historically been a pro-focused town Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, and obviously recently the Pats. Even though there are dozens of schools, they are smaller, private schools that aren't D1 basketball programs. UMass doesn't move the needle in Boston. Grassroots sports were focused on hockey and baseball over the decades. Pretty sure CT has produced far more NBA players than metro Boston (both 3 million+ populations) over the past 50 years.

NYC is more of a basketball town than Boston - high school, college, and pros. Legendary high schoolers, playground players right on through to D1 college programs and I think all of that transfers to the people that live in NYC. Walking around the bars/restaurants in Manhattan during March Madness is a good indicator.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom