Borges: UConn not done recruiting 2019 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Borges: UConn not done recruiting 2019

Reaction Score
Richie Springs.jpg

;)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd love to get on the Richie Springs bandwagon if somebody who has seen him play recently could post some positives about how he could contribute to this team and what they see as his strengths/skills.

The stats posted showed lousy in April and strong at Peach Jam supported by a couple particular games. Inconsistent results might be a function of his effort varying, the game plan, his health, or the opponent.

I saw him in person a couple of times a year ago when we were recruiting Bouknight and saw nothing remarkable in effort, IQ, size, strength, athleticism, skills, defense, rebounding, … truly nothing. It was a year ago, Bouknight was fighting through injury, maybe Springs wasn't 100% and I wasn't seeing his true play.

Is the 6'9 true? Physically is 6'9 200 lbs really fixing our problem in the paint? Especially if the 6'9 is exaggerated? Chief says he does the intangibles but doesn't bother to mention what they are. A year ago there wasn't obvious defensive rotation or communication, setting picks, playing with effort, getting and holding position under the boards, etc

By reports, the kid wants to come here. Being rated in the 140's, someone on the board must have seen him play games that demonstrate his upside. Posts so far haven't really been too authoritative from posters who have actually watched him. Spill the beans as to what is possible based on current play.

I had the same concerns. Seems like a little better version of Whaley. But a poster here pointed out, if Dan wants him, I want him. I think that’s fair. Hurley knows what he’s doing.

I also see value in four year guys who are lunch pail types and do the dirty work. We are never going to have a roster of 12 great players. Calhoun never did.

Reaction Score
I had the same concerns. Seems like a little better version of Whaley. But a poster here pointed out, if Dan wants him, I want him. I think that’s fair. Hurley knows what he’s doing.

I also see value in four year guys who are lunch pail types and do the dirty work. We are never going to have a roster of 12 great players. Calhoun never did.
I was just discussing him with somebody and it seems like he can be a good offensive rebounder and that he has enough athleticism to score some points down low. Maybe in the mold of Kentan Facey?

Reaction Score
I'd love to get on the Richie Springs bandwagon if somebody who has seen him play recently could post some positives about how he could contribute to this team and what they see as his strengths/skills.

The stats posted showed lousy in April and strong at Peach Jam supported by a couple particular games. Inconsistent results might be a function of his effort varying, the game plan, his health, or the opponent.

I saw him in person a couple of times a year ago when we were recruiting Bouknight and saw nothing remarkable in effort, IQ, size, strength, athleticism, skills, defense, rebounding, … truly nothing. It was a year ago, Bouknight was fighting through injury, maybe Springs wasn't 100% and I wasn't seeing his true play.

Is the 6'9 true? Physically is 6'9 200 lbs really fixing our problem in the paint? Especially if the 6'9 is exaggerated? Chief says he does the intangibles but doesn't bother to mention what they are. A year ago there wasn't obvious defensive rotation or communication, setting picks, playing with effort, getting and holding position under the boards, etc

By reports, the kid wants to come here. Being rated in the 140's, someone on the board must have seen him play games that demonstrate his upside. Posts so far haven't really been too authoritative from posters who have actually watched him. Spill the beans as to what is possible based on current play.
Heights are almost always exaggerated. If he is listed at 6'9" he is more likely 6'7". But that is ok because his opponents have heights that have also been exaggerated. Unless you are Hilton Armstrong who must be 7'3" by now.

Reaction Score
Heights are almost always exaggerated. If he is listed at 6'9" he is more likely 6'7". But that is ok because his opponents have heights that have also been exaggerated. Unless you are Hilton Armstrong who must be 7'3" by now.

True. But everyone is exaggerated, so the comparison itself is still fine.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
The typical cutoff date for a grade is somewhere around November or December. So he'd be anywhere from 1-10 months younger than most kids entering college as freshmen
PLUS many(if not most) of these kids play a year behind.

Reaction Score
I just realized the article about us offering him was from May. That's not ancient, but I thought it was more recent.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was just discussing him with somebody and it seems like he can be a good offensive rebounder and that he has enough athleticism to score some points down low. Maybe in the mold of Kentan Facey?
If he has the athleticism of Kentan and the bb IQ of senior Kentan than l’m excited. But the only person who has seen him live posting in this thread was not reviewing him that way. And @Ricker has been a good scout for this forum. If Dan wants this kid I’m rooting for him. I’d just feel more comfortable if posters with a critical eye for talent have a consensus opinion about players.

Reaction Score
If he has the athleticism of Kentan and the bb IQ of senior Kentan than l’m excited. But the only person who has seen him live posting in this thread was not reviewing him that way. And @Ricker has been a good scout for this forum. If Dan wants this kid I’m rooting for him. I’d just feel more comfortable if posters with a critical eye for talent have a consensus opinion about players.
Yeah I'm sure the boneyard posters have a better eye than the staff. Give me a break.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom