Borges: Gaffney Update, will help recruiting efforts on Friday | The Boneyard

Borges: Gaffney Update, will help recruiting efforts on Friday

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The same Mike Rice who coached at Rutgers? Pass.

But, just the same, I know Uconn (and by extension the players) is/are going to shock some people as there are still (too many) people expecting a .500 season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gaffneys only knock is size. He cant draw fouls. He shoots and passes as well as most top 100 guards. Probably the exception being cole anthony. He's played significantly better than his ranking.

If Sal can get him eating well and gain 15-20 lbs, that could be a huge advantage. All the skills of a super undersized guard, with the strength you'd expect at the high major level.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Mike Rice screwed up but he has paid his dues, the guy really knows basketball.

Yep, 100%. I remember Rice from his days here in Pittsburgh at RMU where he really elevated that program and always thought he was going to end up in a big time gig eventually as he's a heck of a coach. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a high-major assistant opportunity in the not-so-distant future and moves his way back up from there.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Mike Rice screwed up but he has paid his dues, the guy really knows basketball.

Didnt he fired for saying mean things to kids?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Didnt he fired for saying mean things to kids?
I think he was also throwing chairs and they had it all on video...I think he was also accused of physically abusing the kids to a degree but not sure.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think he was also throwing chairs and they had it all on video...I think he was also accused of physically abusing the kids to a degree but not sure.

Like actual assault or like this Jimbo fisher thing on espn this weekend?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Like actual assault or like this Jimbo fisher thing on espn this weekend?
I don't remember exactly, but think it was overblown to a degree. What happened with jimbo this weekend?

Reaction Score
Why, why, why did this turn into a Mike Rice bashing thread when Gaffney is 10000% into turning this program around and is recruiting our number 1 target?

I must have missed something...I thought Precious was our number 1.

Reaction Score
Oh okay. I could be wrong, but I believe Rice was accussed of similar things like that at RU

From what I remember he also called kids the word that michael jordan called kwame brown and mocked a foreign kid for his accent. It was bad and he deserved to be fired but he seemed to really work on his character weaknesses after that in a genuine way and should definitely get another chance at the D1 level soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom