Borges: Breaking down UConn's 2023 class with Adam Finkelstein | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Borges: Breaking down UConn's 2023 class with Adam Finkelstein

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Giannis? LeBron has it but doesn’t really use it too much. I’d say that’s the case with a lot of stars. They have the ability, but it’s the worst shot in the game.
Giannas doesn’t have a jumper at all and he’s one of the rare ones that gets away with it. But the Bucks couldn’t close out two games just now because of his non ability to shoot.

Jimmy, who isn’t considered a good three point shooter, took them out giving them hell from the midrange.

To say that someone should not focus on developing a midrange game is just a blasphemous thing to say if the expectations of that player is to be a star player. Literally every NBA star/superstar would tell you differently.

FWIW, Lebron’s record breaking shot was a mid range shot. Lol

Reaction Score
Every single superstar player in the NBA has an elite mid range game. Kevin Durant is on record of how important the mid range game is.

The mid range game is absolutely important to develop. Our very own Kemba Walker is proof of what having an elite mid range game can do.
I agree with you but many here say different. The 3 point game is essential we all know but when your player has that midrange it makes the rest of the offense more dynamic.

Reaction Score
It actually would be interesting to see a shot chart along with his mid range percentage for the second half of the year.

429 says mid range shots aren’t effective except as a counter, but that is exactly what makes them effective in my opinion. If you get runoff the arch you don’t have to drive to the hoop and face a big. It gives you options, particularly to attack a zone.
Can only break it out by individual month, but here is January vs March. February was pretty similar to March so just used the one with postseason games

January

97696500-8CF4-4F93-ACE3-D49F3AE67EE7.jpeg

March

B2B22F23-9636-4660-9020-190C29EE400C.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can only break it out by individual month, but here is January vs March. February was pretty similar to March so just used the one with postseason games

January

View attachment 87821

March

View attachment 87822
Wow, that was a rhetorical statement, but thanks! That was quick!

Such a difference from January to March!

Reaction Score
Alleyne shot 46% on his mid range shots, so no that is absolutely not what made him valuable. It was a negative value shot
I will amend this to say he was actually decent from the top of the key, but the baseline midrange drove his numbers down

8C1763DA-43F1-463E-948A-C3EB57F2ACF7.jpeg

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
why not...it's not overperforming if DH saw the potential...to me that's someone who is a good judge of talent, which is repeatable
I never liked the notion of over achieving or over performing. Maximizing a skill is more like it. In sports sometimes it takes the right coach and/or circumstances to help someone to realize their potential. Hard to achieve anything you never had the potential to do. Under performing on the other hand…

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Stephon Castle is baby Kevin Durant, obviously he should take mid range shots. 99.99% of D1 players are not Kevin Durant.

pj

Reaction Score

I don't get why you posted this, isn't this thread about NBA midrange shooting? Shouldn't a Jayden Ross video go in a thread about 2023 recruits?

That said - (1) As the shot charts show, Naheim is easily upgraded and it was a good move to send him on. (2) A great shotmaker can create a shot but he doesn't generally get to choose his spot (especially when the shot clock is winding down), the defense can make him shoot from an unfavorable spot like midrange. It's good to have it in your arsenal even if you only use it in emergencies. Michael Jordan made a living off it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't get why you posted this, isn't this thread about NBA midrange shooting? Shouldn't a Jayden Ross video go in a thread about 2023 recruits?

That said - (1) As the shot charts show, Naheim is easily upgraded and it was a good move to send him on. (2) A great shotmaker can create a shot but he doesn't generally get to choose his spot (especially when the shot clock is winding down), the defense can make him shoot from an unfavorable spot like midrange. It's good to have it in your arsenal even if you only use it in emergencies. Michael Jordan made a living off it.
To clear it up, the reason the mid range discussion got started was because someone said Castle shouldn’t prioritize developing that and then others jumped in to say how important that shot actually is. So that should definitely be a focus of Castle’s development.

Same way that it might be the most important part of Andre’s development at this point.

Reaction Score
My #1 strategy for Boneyard off-season zen: it's fun to post, but not fun to read the threads.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom