Borges: Breaking down UConn's 2023 class with Adam Finkelstein | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Borges: Breaking down UConn's 2023 class with Adam Finkelstein

Reaction Score
What position would Ross be guarding? He's not guarding a 4, right? I ask that because Hawkins is a scrawny guy and he turned into quite a good defender this year. Ross is a little bit lengthier and just as good of an athlete (maybe even bouncier from what I've seen?). If he can shoot and defend, he will be getting some good burn this season

I think he could guard the 3 as long as we have a skilled 4 (like Karaban) on the floor too.

Reaction Score
Castle and Ball both seem like that type of player. Castle will have such a huge size advantage over 95% of PG's it's going to be hilarious. The dude is 6'7" and smooth as hell. If you're a 6'1" PG, good luck trying to defend him when he's driving to the hoop.

I suspect there will be some growing pains with this team, especially given the extremely tough OOC schedule we have lined up...but as long as they are ready for March, who cares about the regular season.

Teams are going to use their SF or maybe a taller SG to guard Castle. The PG will guard Newton/Solo.

We'll do the same thing. Throw Castle on their SF and have Andre/Solo/Newton lock down the PG depending on the matchup.

Reaction Score
Teams are going to use their SF or maybe a taller SG to guard Castle. The PG will guard Newton/Solo.

We'll do the same thing. Throw Castle on their SF and have Andre/Solo/Newton lock down the PG depending on the matchup.
Either way we'll have a major size advantage. Our starting lineup will end up being taller than most NBA teams lol

Reaction Score
Someone I always forget to mention/think about is Roumoglou.. Maybe its coachspeak or maybe its legit but Dan continues to speak highly of him.. Not as a game changer but as a contributor.. Has a nice touch from outside..

IMO.. The fact that he's running it back(and didn't leave) suggests that both he and the staff see some minutes for him.. Working hard in off season should help..

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The Castle to Andre comparison is also silly as Castle is 10x the scorer Andre is. They’re just not the same player at all.

I’m also on board with the Ross can play more than Stewart train. He’s taller, a better athlete, and seems a lot better at playing without the ball both shooting wise and slashing wise. Think he’s going to surprise a lot of people and turn a lot of heads.

Don’t have concerns about how he’ll be defensively. Kid is used to defender PGs before the growth spurt. Hurley should be able to get him up to speed at this level and his length will be an advantage for him.

Reaction Score
The Castle to Andre comparison is also silly as Castle is 10x the scorer Andre is. They’re just not the same player at all.

I’m also on board with the Ross can play more than Stewart train. He’s taller, a better athlete, and seems a lot better at playing without the ball both shooting wise and slashing wise. Think he’s going to surprise a lot of people and turn a lot of heads.

Don’t have concerns about how he’ll be defensively. Kid is used to defender PGs before the growth spurt. Hurley should be able to get him up to speed at this level and his length will be an advantage for him.
They're not the same player, but I think people are saying (at least I am) that they can be utilized in a similar way. They both are excellent passers and can rebound the ball. Castle is a much better natural scorer than Jackson, but Jackson is a lightyears better defender and better athlete.

Reaction Score
There is no way Ross is 180-185 lbs. That has to be this time last year. My guess is 200/205lbs. I also doubt him at only 6'7. His team roster lists him at 6'8 and he looks all of that on the court matched up against bigs.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
They're not the same player, but I think people are saying (at least I am) that they can be utilized in a similar way. They both are excellent passers and can rebound the ball. Castle is a much better natural scorer than Jackson, but Jackson is a lightyears better defender and better athlete.
I’m not all the way sure about that as Castle can legit be an on ball player because of his scoring ability.

When we found success Andre had to be regulated to an off ball Draymond Green kind of role as a screener and cutter. Unless we were in transition of course then there’s no one better in the country.

Think Castle will have more of a role of past guards like Kemba, Boatright, and Shabazz who can play on ball and off ball as scorers/facilitators.

Would love for Andre to come back to be that on ball facilitator at times for Castle.

Reaction Score
What position would Ross be guarding? He's not guarding a 4, right? I ask that because Hawkins is a scrawny guy and he turned into quite a good defender this year. Ross is a little bit lengthier and just as good of an athlete (maybe even bouncier from what I've seen?). If he can shoot and defend, he will be getting some good burn this season
Ross is bouncier than Hawkins? Huh? That would put him at Jackson level as Hawkins has a great vertical leap.

Reaction Score

That is a weird comparison. Castle’s game, size and style kind of reminds me of Penny Hardaway…not saying he will be that good (penny was an all nba player before injuries)

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think Jimmy Butler is the best comparison stylistically.

I think that too, mostly because of how he finishes with balance on 2 feet a ton.

I was just marveling to no one in particular (my 4 year old and wife) how great Jimmy is at that, and I always love how Jay Wright teaches his Nova guys that as well. Love that style of finishing because it's consistent and tough to stop.

Reaction Score
I think that too, mostly because of how he finishes with balance on 2 feet a ton.

I was just marveling to no one in particular (my 4 year old and wife) how great Jimmy is at that, and I always love how Jay Wright teaches his Nova guys that as well. Love that style of finishing because it's consistent and tough to stop.

We definitely recruit guys who are finishing on two feet. Karaban, Castle, Floyd, Diggins come to mind.

Reaction Score
why not...it's not overperforming if DH saw the potential...to me that's someone who is a good judge of talent, which is repeatable
DH is an amazing judge of talent and Calcaterra shooting 45% from 3 was overperforming, both can be true. It seems unlikely that transfers we bring in will consistently improve by such a huge amount, but over time I expect way more hits than misses.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

If he's 6'8 205 and he's strumming 3s, he's DEF going to be underrated.

Ross's path to PT is if he can shoot real well right away. Plenty of good shooters in HS need an adjustment to the college game. If Ross's shooting translates to college quickly, he has a place in the rotation. Being able to do one thing real well and consistently do it almost always translates in to the rotation.

Reaction Score
why not...it's not overperforming if DH saw the potential...to me that's someone who is a good judge of talent, which is repeatable
Yes, I expect Hurley to be an above-average portal recruiter. That doesn't mean every recruit will be a hit.

Reaction Score
Ross is bouncier than Hawkins? Huh? That would put him at Jackson level as Hawkins has a great vertical leap.

Yes. Ross is a freak athlete. He nearly decapitates himself every time he dunks the ball lmao

Someone here posted a video the other day of him dunking and it looked like he was on an 8ft hoop. It was probably @husky429 if he knows the video I'm talking about

Reaction Score
Yes. Ross is a freak athlete. He nearly decapitates himself every time he dunks the ball lmao

Someone here posted a video the other day of him dunking and it looked like he was on an 8ft hoop. It was probably @husky429 if he knows the video I'm talking about
I saw that video but it definitely didn't look like he was anywhere near AJ hops. Hawkins is a really good leaper too so not sure where anyone would call Ross Bouncier than Hawkins. I mean Ross is also 3 inches taller than Hawkins so he has that advantage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom