Borges: Breaking down UConn's 2023 class with Adam Finkelstein | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Borges: Breaking down UConn's 2023 class with Adam Finkelstein

Reaction Score
I didn't say Jackson hops, I said bouncier than Hawkins. Which I think he is

Yeah I know and I refuted that showing you Hawkins has elite athleticism only just below Jackson in up. I have seen Ross and he is a decent athlete but I don't see him bouncier than Hawkins. What Hawkins lack is not in in his Vertical ups. Hawkins lack more in his his lateral quickness and ability to beat people off the dribble though that could be more due to his lack of strength and weak handle.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That is a weird comparison. Castle’s game, size and style kind of reminds me of Penny Hardaway…not saying he will be that good (penny was an all nba player before injuries)
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I don’t think his game is like those guys, just that he may be used here like those guys. Main perimeter scorers who facilitated on ball but can also go off ball to come off screens and be a scoring threat.

Comp wise I think he’s a middle class Cade Cunningham. Similar game but he’s not as tight fundamentally it seems as Cade was. But can control a game with his decision making and pace while being a very big PG.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Dauster just said something similar in his latest podcast. If you have to choose between Andre and Newton coming back next year, the answer is probably Newton strictly based on how he fits in the offense with Castle. Castle can replicate some of what Jackson does with his passing and rebounding, but we need another 3pt threat to keep things open for Karaban and Clingan. If both Castle and Jackson are on the court together and aren't legit outside threats, the defense can sag off and really muck things up for us.

That being said, Castle could very well end up being a decent shooter and in which case, it doesn't even matter.

I get the argument, but to me Andre coming back makes us a national championship contender. He is such a unicorn with his size, athletic ability, defense, ability to get us out in transition, and he's the key to ball movement being elite. Him being on the team is going to raise our ceiling more than Newton will, as much as I like Tristen.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Castle reminds me a lot of Hood-Schifino who was a freshman at Indiana U this year and is projected to be a lottery pick in this year's draft. Same size, both great at driving, finishing and distributing but both with some room for improvement in perimeter shooting.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about Stewart or Ross? Because Stewart is like 215 pounds, not 185...And both he and Ross can shoot from deep.

Here's Stewart from a couple days ago

I don’t profess to know much but even in practice this looks pretty good. You can never have enough shooters.

Reaction Score
I think that too, mostly because of how he finishes with balance on 2 feet a ton.

I was just marveling to no one in particular (my 4 year old and wife) how great Jimmy is at that, and I always love how Jay Wright teaches his Nova guys that as well. Love that style of finishing because it's consistent and tough to stop.
Who is Jimmy? Anyone...Anyone?

Reaction Score
Who is Jimmy? Anyone...Anyone?
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Reaction Score
There is no way Ross is 180-185 lbs. That has to be this time last year. My guess is 200/205lbs. I also doubt him at only 6'7. His team roster lists him at 6'8 and he looks all of that on the court matched up against bigs.
Does this mean you're ready to Karabanize him?:rolleyes:
I'm looking at a bigger Lamb when I see how he looks and plays.
I can dream right?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AJax is a pure athlete that is gaining a bit in his basketball skills.
Castle is a pure hoopster who happens to have a decent degree of athleticism.
A bit in common but there is a huge difference.
Castle can shoot the 3, get to the hole and distribute the ball with good vision. He is going to be fun to watch.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think Jimmy Butler is the best comparison stylistically.
If Castle could find a mid range game that even approaches JB's he will be lethal

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
If Castle could find a mid range game that even approaches JB's he will be lethal

I doubt it's something he'll be working to develop to JB's level at all. Our offense (and the NBAs) doesn't prioritize the mid-range shot. For better or worse, I'm sure Castle will be developing his finishing at the rim and 3-ball much more than an advanced mid-range game.

Reaction Score
I doubt it's something he'll be working to develop to JB's level at all. Our offense (and the NBAs) doesn't prioritize the mid-range shot. For better or worse, I'm sure Castle will be developing his finishing at the rim and 3-ball much more than an advanced mid-range game.

What made Alleyne so valuable was his mid-range game. For all the talk about basketball being a three and lay up game, mid-range is still very, very important. It is a very important weapon for three point shooters whose shot isn't falling and need to see the ball go through the net.

Castle should have a great mid-range game. He can speed up and slow down to get his own shot. If he is knocking down threes, getting mid range jumpers and also getting to rim, he will be impossible to guard.

In the NBA, the thing that makes Trea Young so great is his mid-range game is sensational.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Every single superstar player in the NBA has an elite mid range game. Kevin Durant is on record of how important the mid range game is.

The mid range game is absolutely important to develop. Our very own Kemba Walker is proof of what having an elite mid range game can do.

Reaction Score
There is no way Ross is 180-185 lbs. That has to be this time last year. My guess is 200/205lbs. I also doubt him at only 6'7. His team roster lists him at 6'8 and he looks all of that on the court matched up against bigs.
Agreed. I tried to search some of his opponents for comparison, but size listings in HS are dicey at best. Either way, there is no chance he is 185.

If this kid keeps growing (as often happens), he could play at 6'9" 225. If he keeps his coordination, and slightly improves his skill level (remember, he was a 1/2 guard until a couple years ago when he grew about 6 inches) !!!

He has a pretty jumper from 3. If that falls, he will get playing time right away. He may make rotation mistakes defensively, but it will not be for a lack of effort. If i had to guess, i'd bet that Alex will be mentoring him. He's a good mentor to have.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What made Alleyne so valuable was his mid-range game. For all the talk about basketball being a three and lay up game, mid-range is still very, very important. It is a very important weapon for three point shooters whose shot isn't falling and need to see the ball go through the net.

Castle should have a great mid-range game. He can speed up and slow down to get his own shot. If he is knocking down threes, getting mid range jumpers and also getting to rim, he will be impossible to guard.

In the NBA, the thing that makes Trea Young so great is his mid-range game is sensational.
Trae Young, Kevin Durant, Devin Booker, Embiid, Kawhi.

You know who has no mid range game? James Harden. It’s why he disappears every year in the playoffs. You have to be a three level scorer if you want to be a high level player.

Reaction Score

I'm done arguing about mid-range shots on the board. You should know my opinion by now. It's a tired argument, and 90% of the people having it don't understand how the game of basketball works to begin with.

I'm telling you facts: The NBA and our offense in Storrs don't value the mid-range shot, except as a counter to a drive and a 3 being taken away. A mid-range shooter isn't going to get drafted. Even then, a drive to the 15 feet and a kick to a shooter is valued more than a mid-range shot. Whether you like it or not, that's a fact both at UConn and in the NBA. If we want Castle to go to the NBA, and if we want to continue to recruit kids pursuing a career in the NBA, this is how we will need to play and develop players' skills.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm done arguing about mid-range shots on the board. You should know my opinion by now. It's a tired argument, and 90% of the people having it don't understand how the game of basketball works to begin with.

I'm telling you facts: The NBA and our offense in Storrs don't value the mid-range shot, except as a counter to a drive and a 3 being taken away. A mid-range shooter isn't going to get drafted. Even then, a drive to the 15 feet and a kick to a shooter is valued more than a mid-range shot. Whether you like it or not, that's a fact both at UConn and in the NBA. If we want Castle to go to the NBA, and if we want to continue to recruit kids pursuing a career in the NBA, this is how we will need to play and develop players' skills.
I guess one of the greatest scorers of all time doesn’t understand basketball either.

Reaction Score

Alleyne shot 46% on his mid range shots, so no that is absolutely not what made him valuable. It was a negative value shot

Reaction Score
I don't know what the argument is here or how it relates to UConn but the mid-range is clearly undervalued these days. In playoff basketball the lane eventually gets shut down and you're going to have your nights where you can't make anything from three. The midrange is why the Warriors beat the Celtics in the finals last year, hell it's why they won last night. The best players in the league and guys who are killing it in the playoffs kill it from the midrange- Jokic, Embiid, Curry, Durant, Luka, Booker, Jimmy Buckets, Kawhi Derozan, CP3, Brunson...

Reaction Score
Every single superstar player in the NBA has an elite mid range game. Kevin Durant is on record of how important the mid range game is.

The mid range game is absolutely important to develop. Our very own Kemba Walker is proof of what having an elite mid range game can do.
Giannis? LeBron has it but doesn’t really use it too much. I’d say that’s the case with a lot of stars. They have the ability, but it’s the worst shot in the game.

caw

Reaction Score

I guess one of the greatest scorers of all time doesn’t understand basketball either.

This isn't exactly an either, or situation. Not everything is binary.

The NBA definitely prioritizes the close two and the three for players but the best; they have some other aspect besides a layup, or a three. Whether it's the midrange, or the post-up game, or both.

I look at it this way. In the NBA the defenses are trained to try and take away the three and the close two, but the player has to be a threat from there first, or it makes the job easy for the defense.

After those options are gone, then it comes down to the special players who can get to their spot in the midrange to get points when the offense is bogged down.

There are a few exceptions who are so good at their craft they transcend the need for one or more of the three ranges (Giannis and Stef) but they are exceptions. EDIT: to be clear Stef does have all three and then some but he would deadly as simply a three point shooter he is that good from deep.

Most of the greatest players right now have more than just the layup and three in their bag.

When it comes to UConn last year, yes the focus was on layups and threes but Alleyne, Hawkins and Newton hitting mid-range kept the train rolling when other teams ran UConn off the line and defended the paint. It wasn't often but those were key points in the run. Alleyne esp. hitting open mid-range shots was important. It's not a focus, but it is important.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Alleyne shot 46% on his mid range shots, so no that is absolutely not what made him valuable. It was a negative value shot
It actually would be interesting to see a shot chart along with his mid range percentage for the second half of the year.

429 says mid range shots aren’t effective except as a counter, but that is exactly what makes them effective in my opinion. If you get runoff the arch you don’t have to drive to the hoop and face a big. It gives you options, particularly to attack a zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom