OT: - Bookshelf Speakers | The Boneyard

OT: Bookshelf Speakers

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cyber Monday is tomorrow so this will be a quick thread. My daughter has requested bookshelf speakers to replace a broken pair. That pair is Paradigm Atoms that used to be in my home theater setup where I have a matching Paradigm center. Now I have a pair of Mirage bookshelves down there, slightly bigger a bit more bass since I still lack a subwoofer.

I have some spectacular B&W bookshelves upstairs that I bought for my father in law, who now has Alzheimer’s. These are seldom used.

Options:
1. Buy new Paradigm Atoms $235 and give the kid the Mirages. May not feel like a real Christmas present, but I’d be matched again in the HT. Selfish or practical?
2. Buy Q Acoustics 3020i for her at $261 on sale. These should last her years and are the best reviewed bookshelves under $300
3. Buy Klipsch RB 51 bookshelves hugely discounted on Best Buy for Cyber Monday, about $175. These are bigger and punchier less balanced
4. Buy some Edifer powered bookshelves that are decent and have lots of connections, including Bluetooth, USB and direct from a turntable. She has a turntable and Yamaha receiver with phono (which I also bought for my father in law). But the variety of connections could be more useful for a modern kid. $150-180.
5. Buy meh Sony bookshelves on sale over 50% off for $80. Probably won’t do this, but I’m not sure she’d know the difference.

Any other ideas? There are always Polks on sale but I’m not a big fan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wanted to KISS so I have the Edifer's in the mancave. Sounds fine to me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don’t know anything about speakers but advise against option 1.

Yes, I already know how my wife would view that choice.

Reaction Score
There's a very, very high chance your daughter can't tell the difference between expensive speakers and the pair of 80$ Sony speakers you mentioned. Most people can't. Hell, most people that think they can tell the difference can't in blind tests unless you play them right next to each other.

Is she just using Youtube videos or Spotify for her music? The quality coming out of those platforms isn't that great of sound to begin with.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree with @husky429. How old is she? How much of an audiophile is she? If she’s a freshman in college, a Bluetooth tower speaker probably does everything she wants.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There's a very, very high chance your daughter can't tell the difference between expensive speakers and the pair of 80$ Sony speakers you mentioned. Most people can't. Hell, most people that think they can tell the difference can't in blind tests unless you play them right next to each other.

Is she just using Youtube videos or Spotify for her music? The quality coming out of those platforms isn't that great of sound to begin with.

She is a freshman in college but she listens to YouTube and Spotify music from her iPhone or iPad on AirPods. These speakers will go with her turntable and Yamaha receiver and will stay at home. She is building a vinyl collection. It’s different than when I went to college and we all brought receivers, CD players and speakers.

Can she tell the difference between the Sony and Q Acoustic. I don’t know. Probably side by side. But they aren’t intended for Spotify. It’s possible if I got her the Edifers she’d use it that way, but probably she’d stick with the AirPods anyway.

Reaction Score
Gotta have Bluetooth and wifi for a kid, case closed.

Reaction Score
She is a freshman in college but she listens to YouTube and Spotify music from her iPhone or iPad on AirPods. These speakers will go with her turntable and Yamaha receiver and will stay at home. She is building a vinyl collection. It’s different than when I went to college and we all brought receivers, CD players and speakers.

Can she tell the difference between the Sony and Q Acoustic. I don’t know. Probably side by side. But they aren’t intended for Spotify. It’s possible if I got her the Edifers she’d use it that way, but probably she’d stick with the AirPods anyway.

Ahh I see. If she's a burgeoning audiophile, it might be worth the investment in something nicer. Good luck!

Reaction Score

Very good deal on these, can't go wrong for the price.

Reaction Score
i have the edifier R1700BT speakers (that I received as a gift from my father a few years ago). they have been perfect and they look great to boot.

i use them exactly as you describe (hooked up to my turntable, but more often i am playing with my phone via bluetooth). it’s nice to have that flexibility.

i’d recommend those and they should be something she can keep for awhile and use after college.

Reaction Score
The edifier set will be fine and satisfy the Bluetooth need. If you like vinyl too and might be utilizing her system while she’s away, spring for Audioengine A5+. Probably won’t even need the Yamaha receiver anymore unless she’s listening to CDs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers

I have the original B6s and they are great - less than $300 a pair and they rate higher than many that cost 3 times as much
I am not a novice in the audio field
Worth your look see

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Cyber Monday is tomorrow so this will be a quick thread. My daughter has requested bookshelf speakers to replace a broken pair. That pair is Paradigm Atoms that used to be in my home theater setup where I have a matching Paradigm center. Now I have a pair of Mirage bookshelves down there, slightly bigger a bit more bass since I still lack a subwoofer.

I have some spectacular B&W bookshelves upstairs that I bought for my father in law, who now has Alzheimer’s. These are seldom used.

Options:
1. Buy new Paradigm Atoms $235 and give the kid the Mirages. May not feel like a real Christmas present, but I’d be matched again in the HT. Selfish or practical?
2. Buy Q Acoustics 3020i for her at $261 on sale. These should last her years and are the best reviewed bookshelves under $300
3. Buy Klipsch RB 51 bookshelves hugely discounted on Best Buy for Cyber Monday, about $175. These are bigger and punchier less balanced
4. Buy some Edifer powered bookshelves that are decent and have lots of connections, including Bluetooth, USB and direct from a turntable. She has a turntable and Yamaha receiver with phono (which I also bought for my father in law). But the variety of connections could be more useful for a modern kid. $150-180.
5. Buy meh Sony bookshelves on sale over 50% off for $80. Probably won’t do this, but I’m not sure she’d know the difference.

Any other ideas? There are always Polks on sale but I’m not a big fan.
This may be too simple, but did you present the options to her and ask what would work best for her?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why not both? Polk Audio T15 $69/pr.

Then but her a BT tower for school.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Does she need a new bookshelf?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This may be too simple, but did you present the options to her and ask what would work best for her?

Considering that in a vague way. Basically Bluetooth vs non.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers

I have the original B6s and they are great - less than $300 a pair and they rate higher than many that cost 3 times as much
I am not a novice in the audio field
Worth your look see

Yes those are often rated with the Q Acoustics, but are much bigger so for her space, smaller works better.

Reaction Score
Could go the Sonos route but maybe better for the dorm room…
I have 2 Sonos Play 5 speakers in my house, one in my basement Rec area, and the other in the living room. Before, when paired 8 feet apart in my living room, it gave a great stereo sound. I put the second one downstairs next to my gym equipment to hear music. Even as standalones, they are great.

For a small area, you can get her the Play 3, which should be superior to my current 2 Bose computer speakers I have in my office/computer room about 150 square feet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom