BooJay ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

BooJay ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Very disappointing loss.
  2. OK, it's over 8 minutes in. Are we going to start making some shots? Or at least get the O-board on a few of our misses?
  3. Is Sanogo the only one on the team who can hit a three today? It sure seemed like it in the first half.
  4. How was that push-off by Nembhardt on Alleyne not a foul?
  5. Halftime thoughts. Sanogo had it all over Kalkbrenner in the half. 13 points, 4 boards, 2 dimes and a steal, to 4 points, 2 boards a dime, a steal and a block.
  6. Add in our reserve center's output, and the advantage in the pivot. King has on rebound. That's it. Clingan on the other hand, had a bucket, a block and 4 boards.
  7. Our guards are 3 of 13. 4 of 18 if you count Ajax as a guard.
  8. We managed to get 7 offensive rebounds, which is 3 more than Creighton. But we had a lot more opportunities. We missed 20 shots to their 15.
  9. Tied it up quickly in the 2nd half, then went back and forth for a bit.
  10. Why do I think that if Kalkbrenner went onto Adama instead of the other way around it still would have been a foul n Adama.
  11. Really big defensive lapse by Ajax on Sheierman.
  12. Bad call on the moving screen on Karaban. Hawk was already two steps past him, so it wasn't a screen any more.
  13. Newton got clumsy with the ball and lost it to Alexander. In situ it felt like the most significant turnover of the game.
  14. Seemed like a 5 minute comedy of errors mid-second half. 4 turnovers, 3 fouls and 8 missed FG attempts without a score. It was really only 2 minutes of gametime, from 10:40 to 8:36.
  15. Why the hell is Jackson taking threes? Or shots in general. He went 3 for 11 from the floor, and had ZERO assists. For my money, it was his worst game as a Husky.
  16. Not sure why we didn't go to Hawkins and/or Karaban more in the 2nd half.
  17. We outrebounded them, with all the advantage coming on the offensive boards.
  18. The foul disparity reared its ugly head again. 14 to 10 doesn't seem like a lot, but it's when and where they're called. Creighton took 17 FTs to our 4.
  19. Sanogo won the battle of the bigs against Kalkbrenner again. 17/10/2/1/0 to RK 12/6/1/3/1.

Reaction Score
One thing we did learn is Kalkbrenner can't hold up a candle to Sanago. Took him to school twice this year after talking smack.

Unfortunately the rest of the huskies let Sanago down today.

Reaction Score
Jackson is a liability in a close game. The whole second half he was left all alone - his teammates are reluctant to even pass to him. When they did he either gave up a wide open shot while throwing the ball away trying to force a pass to a double teamed teammate (they being double teamed because no need to guard AJ), bricked a three, or badly missed a "floater".

(I'd love to know our shooting percentage on those floaters this year ... it's got to be about 2-85). No one on this team can hit them.

I get he brings more to the table than scoring - but not scoring, turning the ball over and allowing the other teams defense to double our actual scorers ... well it's a lot to overcome. And in a close game - it's too much to overcome.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
  2. OK, it's over 8 minutes in. Are we going to start making some shots? Or at least get the O-board on a few of our misses?
  3. Is Sanogo the only one on the team who can hit a three today? It sure seemed like it in the first half.
  5. Halftime thoughts. Sanogo had it all over Kalkbrenner in the half. 13 points, 4 boards, 2 dimes and a steal, to 4 points, 2 boards a dime, a steal and a block.
  6. Add in our reserve center's output, and the advantage in the pivot. King has on rebound. That's it. Clingan on the other hand, had a bucket, a block and 4 boards.
  8. We managed to get 7 offensive rebounds, which is 3 more than Creighton. But we had a lot more opportunities. We missed 20 shots to their 15.
  10. Why do I think that if Kalkbrenner went onto Adama instead of the other way around it still would have been a foul n Adama.
  12. Bad call on the moving screen on Karaban. Hawk was already two steps past him, so it wasn't a screen any more.
  13. Newton got clumsy with the ball and lost it to Alexander. In situ it felt like the most significant turnover of the game.
  14. Seemed like a 5 minute comedy of errors mid-second half. 4 turnovers, 3 fouls and 8 missed FG attempts without a score. It was really only 2 minutes of gametime, from 10:40 to 8:36.
  15. Why the hell is Jackson taking threes? Or shots in general. He went 3 for 11 from the floor, and had ZERO assists. For my money, it was his worst game as a Husky.
  17. We outrebounded them, with all the advantage coming on the offensive boards.
  18. The foul disparity reared its ugly head again. 14 to 10 doesn't seem like a lot, but it's when and where they're called. Creighton took 17 FTs to our 4.
  19. Sanogo won the battle of the bigs against Kalkbrenner again. 17/10/2/1/0 to RK 12/6/1/3/1.
14 - Seemed like Creighton was matching the "comedy of errors" in their own way, so I could chalk it off as both fan bases might have felt the same way

15 - 11 shots and 0 assists sure jumped out for me. My unsophisticated 'analysis' is that UConn played Creighton's game, and McDermott saying, "As long as they keep taking bad shots, we'll win this game" came to be true. I was under the impression that the improvements we've seen from AJax issued forth from different coaching strategy & directives. This therefore baffled me, and requires work. February 11th isn't fatally late, but this was a step backwards.

16 - Karaban for certain, and it would have likely spilled over to help Hawkins.

18 - I read in another thread that Hurley's two necessaries were keeping the opponent under 11 assists, and having equal fouls for both teams. Succeeded regarding the assists, but, wow, only 4 FTs?

ZERO attempts for Newton. That's a prescription for losing, and runs contrary to how things have recently turned around. What explains this regression, which I would link to the observations about AJax above?

Reaction Score
Very frustrating game. They couldn't throw the ball in the ocean and were still right there with a chance to win. Some very untimely turnovers also. Extremely disappointing.

Reaction Score
I know that no one wants to hear this but we’re not that good. Been exposed by BE teams who are both good and bad and if you add that up (just look at who beat us and where) we would likely be middle of the pack in many major conferences. This is not to say that we don’t have some quality players and play very well at times like Marquette but without consistent guard play we are limited and forget being the National Championship contender that 14-0 had us buying in to.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Ease up on the Andre hate…this loss is not his fault. We reverted to jacking 3s, I assume because we were hot last game. Hurley was preaching off ball movement and driving the paint in the huddle and we just didnt/couldnt do it. Tough road loss in a tight game. Nothing to be disappointed about.

Reaction Score
Ease up on the Andre hate…this loss is not his fault. We reverted to jacking 3s, I assume because we were hot last game. Hurley was preaching off ball movement and driving the paint in the huddle and we just didnt/couldnt do it. Tough road loss in a tight game. Nothing to be disappointed about.
He’s a total liability on offense. It is what it is. He doesn’t have any touch at 10 feet. He plays hard, but that’s a double edged sword. 3/11 shooting, no assists, 3 turnovers; what would you like to call that?

Reaction Score
16. Because whoever was supposed to be covering AJ had the luxury of double teaming Karaban / Hawkins / take your pick
19. I'd gladly have Kalk own Sanogo in exchange for the W

Reaction Score
Hurley is the one who put Andre in this spot. First with 3 years now of coaching and this is the situation offensively and second with his preseason hype. If I could coach Andre I would try and get him to stop trying for the block and biting on upfakes and just play solid defense. Where the hell are the assistant coaches on this team?

Reaction Score
He’s a total liability on offense. It is what it is. He doesn’t have any touch at 10 feet. He plays hard, but that’s a double edged sword. 3/11 shooting, no assists, 3 turnovers; what would you like to call that?
So are you claiming that Jackson cost the Huskies the game? Nothing could be further from the truth. UConn shot themselves out of this game from the 3-point line. They also couldn’t make layups during their ice-cold stretch in the second half - the Huskies had to take advantage of those put-backs. Conversley, Creighton’s long cold spell featured lots of missed jump shots, meaning the Huskies played great defense denying penetration and leaving the Blue Jays to settle for outside looks, which they missed. UConn put forth a great defensive effort, as did Creighton - the Huskies just shot abysmally from 3.

Reaction Score
So are you claiming that Jackson cost the Huskies the game? Nothing could be further from the truth. UConn shot themselves out of this game from the 3-point line. They also couldn’t make layups during their ice-cold stretch in the second half - the Huskies had to take advantage of those put-backs. Conversley, Creighton’s long cold spell featured lots of missed jump shots, meaning the Huskies played great defense denying penetration and leaving the Blue Jays to settle for outside looks, which they missed. UConn put forth a great defensive effort, as did Creighton - the Huskies just shot abysmally from 3.
So the kid who was 3/11 and 0/4 from 3 with 0 assists and 3 TO’s didn’t contribute?

Think harder

Reaction Score
I’m with you @Rocktheworld. I love what AJ brings to the game and enjoy watching him play. There have been some games where AJ has been awful and we’ve learned to take the good with the bad. But today he reached a new low. He was unplayable.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
A lot of people had bad shooting nights…stop trying to pin the loss on one person, its classless. Be better.

Reaction Score
So the kid who was 3/11 and 0/4 from 3 with 0 assists and 3 TO’s didn’t contribute?

Think harder
You’re just trying hard to show your ignorance of the sport. And succeeding handsomely, I might add.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
So are you claiming that Jackson cost the Huskies the game? Nothing could be further from the truth. UConn shot themselves out of this game from the 3-point line.
And no-one on the Huskies shot worse than Andre from 3. Zero for four, and he was wide open for all of them.

Reaction Score

Think harder
You forgot AJax poor defense too. Always beat off the dribble today! Head turned the wrong way, but that was all, our guards today.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
That call was bs when Adama drove the base line and called him for a charge against Kalbrenner. I haven't seen a clean flop like that since the Coach K days. I thought they made the flop a foul?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom