BooJay ThoughtZ™ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BooJay ThoughtZ™

caw

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what to say about this game.

Was Jackson bad, yes. Did he lose this game, not by himself, he contributed but there was plenty of blame to go around. It was a one point game before that last foul.

Net positives: Sanogo is a beast and him + defense + half a good game from Hawkins had UConn in a basically tied game on the road against a top 20 team.

Negatives:
1 - Jackson needs to figure it out, or Hurley does.
2-The fastbreak, seriously this team gives away more points on three on ones on offense than any UConn team I've ever seen. Almost always a bad pass (too high on the lob, to the wrong player, a bounce pass to a big, or today's shuffle pass when Jackson was already jumping for the lob).
3 - Hawkins can't have a zero for a half with Newton basically a zero for the game. I do get Newton's issue. When he's on the floor with Jackson the other team plants a player in the lane, with Kalkbrenner also down there, he had zero room to attack.
4 - I am still not sure why Jackson is used the way he is. Here's the thing, it's not like other teams don't play players that can't shoot threes, tons of teams do. They are usually fours, or fives. Coaches get around that by posting them, or using them to screen up top. Why can't we do that with Jackson if the other team is going to plant his defender in the paint. Use him as a high screener, or a dribble hand-off up top. At the worst it should force his defender out of the paint for switches/hedging. Which should open up the lane for Adama, or drives a bit. Heck I would do with a backdoor lob ala Boat/Sticks. There have to be ways to use him on offense where his shot is not detrimental to the team, especially when the other four on the floor can shoot.

Reaction Score
it's not like other teams don't play players that can't shoot threes, tons of teams do. They are usually fours, or fives. Coaches get around that by posting them, or using them to screen up top. Why can't we do that
U answered your own question…..some coaches do, ours, not so much

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what to say about this game.

Was Jackson bad, yes. Did he lose this game, not by himself, he contributed but there was plenty of blame to go around. It was a one point game before that last foul.

Net positives: Sanogo is a beast and him + defense + half a good game from Hawkins had UConn in a basically tied game on the road against a top 20 team.

Negatives:
1 - Jackson needs to figure it out, or Hurley does.
2-The fastbreak, seriously this team gives away more points on three on ones on offense than any UConn team I've ever seen. Almost always a bad pass (too high on the lob, to the wrong player, a bounce pass to a big, or today's shuffle pass when Jackson was already jumping for the lob).
3 - Hawkins can't have a zero for a half with Newton basically a zero for the game. I do get Newton's issue. When he's on the floor with Jackson the other team plants a player in the lane, with Kalkbrenner also down there, he had zero room to attack.
4 - I am still not sure why Jackson is used the way he is. Here's the thing, it's not like other teams don't play players that can't shoot threes, tons of teams do. They are usually fours, or fives. Coaches get around that by posting them, or using them to screen up top. Why can't we do that with Jackson if the other team is going to plant his defender in the paint. Use him as a high screener, or a dribble hand-off up top. At the worst it should force his defender out of the paint for switches/hedging. Which should open up the lane for Adama, or drives a bit. Heck I would do with a backdoor lob ala Boat/Sticks. There have to be ways to use him on offense where his shot is not detrimental to the team, especially when the other four on the floor can shoot.
Screening hasn’t worked as of late. Jackson’s man goes under and provides a pseudo-double team to the roller, leaving Jackson open.

Reaction Score
So are you claiming that Jackson cost the Huskies the game? Nothing could be further from the truth. UConn shot themselves out of this game from the 3-point line. They also couldn’t make layups during their ice-cold stretch in the second half - the Huskies had to take advantage of those put-backs. Conversley, Creighton’s long cold spell featured lots of missed jump shots, meaning the Huskies played great defense denying penetration and leaving the Blue Jays to settle for outside looks, which they missed. UConn put forth a great defensive effort, as did Creighton - the Huskies just shot abysmally from 3.
And zero aggression going to the rim=no free throws

caw

Reaction Score
Screening hasn’t worked as of late. Jackson’s man goes under and provides a pseudo-double team to the roller, leaving Jackson open.

What you are describing sounds like Jackson is the one having someone screen for him.

I'm saying have Jackson as the screener, if the defense is playing like Creighton did which sagged a man into the paint. Or a dribble hand-off where Jackson screens Hawkins/Newtons/etc. man.

Let's say it's Jackson with the ball and Hawkins runs to him and gets the dribble handoff. If Jackson has no defender within 15 feet of him, as long as Jackson screens on the hand-off on Hawkins defender, it should give Hawkins enough room to launch.

Reaction Score
This whole AJ thing is crazy to me. As I’ve said many times, he’s my favorite player. I’m just highly entertained by him, both good and bad. It’s like watching your kid. Your kid doesn’t have to be the best player, but will always be your favorite. I have flashbacks to Tim Boyle. Under the right coach and the right system, AJ will be an impact player somewhere sometime.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
It’s just awful strategy by the coaching staff to let Jackson take jump shots, especially 3 pointers. You enable his weakness in shooting and nearly negate his strength in getting rebounds.

Reaction Score
AJ has re-defined a word. Un-guardable in basketball meant someone who was so good, that guarding that player made no difference, that player would score. In Jackson's case un-guardable means , no one needs to guard him at all...why waste a defensive player who can't hit the broadside of a barn. Unfortunately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom