Boneyard poll question: do you want the UConn-Tenn series continued? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boneyard poll question: do you want the UConn-Tenn series continued?

Do you want to see the UConn - Tennessee series played and or continued?

• Yes

Votes: 142 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 48 22.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Not exactly staying on topic but I'd like the media to recognize that the Summit diatribe and anger at Geno was likely not due to the Maya Moore recruitment but the excessive paranoia and hate that imho came from Pat's early onset. I'm not an expert but I understand that it's very common for people with Alzheimers to exhibit irrational anger and strike out at people they love and people they respect. Seems like the media has had an opportunity to educate and yet they stick with ignorance.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I dithered before answering the question. On one hand, it’s just another out of conference game, no more or less than a game against, say, South Carolina. But on the other hand, it was a “can’t miss” game that even my husband wanted to see. I even yelled at the TV at one point (ugh, turnovers) something I don’t usually do. For those of us of a “certain age”, we remember the rivalry and still want to beat the LVs. I bet it would be the same for Rutgers.

Bottom line, I’m torn

Reaction Score
Whether it is good for WCBB can be answered by how many people, who don't normally watch WCBB, watched the game. The great value to WCBB in the past was that the game did that,

Concerning UConn generally, the more decent teams on the schedule, the better, Tenn was ahead at the half.

Concerning this year's UConn team, this was the most important game of the season for several reasons, Geno said that this was not a confident team, especially when their shows were not gong in and against taller teams.

The shots were not going in against a taller team in which Ono sat for much of the game, but, they made up for it by incredibly aggressive play offensively and defensively.

When Ono did return, she also played tough,

And most importantly- THE FRESHMEN

There will be ups and downs, but, they will be from a higher level.

This is a different team from the one that entered the court at the beginning of the game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Whether it is good for WCBB can be answered by how many people, who don't normally watch WCBB, watched the game. The great value to WCBB in the past was that the game did that,

Concerning UConn generally, the more decent teams on the schedule, the better, Tenn was ahead at the half.

Concerning this year's UConn team, this was the most important game of the season for several reasons, Geno said that this was not a confident team, especially when their shows were not gong in and against taller teams.

The shots were not going in against a taller team in which Ono sat for much of the game, but, they made up for it by incredibly aggressive play offensively and defensively.

When Ono did return, she also played tough,

And most importantly- THE FRESHMEN

There will be ups and downs, but, they will be from a higher level.

This is a different team from the one that entered the court at the beginning of the game.

Guessing a lot of casual fans did watch it, but man that was an awful game to watch for both teams. Horrendous shooting and turnovers galore. I cant imagine many casual fans who watched it would want to start watching the women's game as a result.

Reaction Score
The other threads say that it was the most watched game on TV and had the largest attendance so far this season.

It was, to me, very entertaining because all the missed shots resulted in exciting scraps for the ball, and, very athletic play.

Reaction Score
You know... when thinking over this question.... I think about the game last night.... Uconn didn't shoot so great and Tenn wish they had far less turnovers.... but to me ostensibly it was another basketball game.... and when I saw Griffin AMP IT UP then it started to feel like the series had felt like in its heyday.... the two teams were always playing for something and they parlayed that fight into outward effort.... fights for rebounds for 50 50 balls etc.... personally that is what i like to see and would like to see return.....

Reaction Score
Guessing a lot of casual fans did watch it, but man that was an awful game to watch for both teams. Horrendous shooting and turnovers galore. I cant imagine many casual fans who watched it would want to start watching the women's game as a result.

Amen bballnut90 hope that next years game and for that matter the games deep into the NCAAs .... are better games to watch... for the sake and growth of the game.

Reaction Score
I've been waiting for someone else to create this poll, no one has, so I did. I'm very interested in the results and any comments you'd like to make. I will read them all.

We've all seen various news articles suggesting how the resumption of the UConn-Tennessee is good for women's college basketball.

Mike Anthony: UConn-Tennessee remains special and should be scheduled every season

That may be the opinion of some fans, the media and interested/casual on-lookers from afar. I know (read) as it has been often documented here by some long time (veteran) UConn fans that were here back in 2007 and before (and part of the NCAA inquiry) that DO NOT want to see this series resumed or continued. Others do. So, the poll question for today is (I changed it): Do YOU, a staunch UConn WBB fan, a loyal and committed Boneyard member/contributor want to see this series played and continued? Everybody has an opinion. Everyone has a vote. Please share it with us. Cast your vote now! :)
As with HuskyNan I was more revved up for the game than most others just because it was UT. But the novelty of the resumption of UT/Uconn games will wear off fast unless UT gets better soon. No way we should commit to a long term series. As others have expressed, OOC games are precious and it's hard enough as is to schedule top ranked teams plus seniors "home' games. If UT improves, we can always revisit scheduling games. For those that want to be playing UT, even without regular seasons games, we may still end up playing them in the NCAAs, which would be all the more interesting.

Reaction Score
Not a UConn alum, so my vote really doesn’t count. But, FWIW, life isn’t a zero sum game. Everyone benefits from a UConn/UTenn rivalry. I was stoked by it over the years, and the renewal game was pure magic...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wasnt impressed with the Vols coaching or performance. Everyone says they are much improved this year, but I think a very weak schedule has masked a lot of things. They played an ugly game & both the coach & players looked like a deer in headlights for the last 20 minutes. I just dont see the Vols being at UConn's level for the next several years. I vote no.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Amen bballnut90 hope that next years game and for that matter the games deep into the NCAAs .... are better games to watch... for the sake and growth of the game.

On the plus side, the last few Final Fours have been incredible. 2017 had the Morgan William buzzer beater, 2018 had three buzzer beaters, 2019 had 2 close semifinal games and a high scoring 1 point title game. Probably the best 3 year stretch we've ever had in regards to overall competitiveness.

Reaction Score
On the plus side, the last few Final Fours have been incredible. 2017 had the Morgan William buzzer beater, 2018 had three buzzer beaters, 2019 had 2 close semifinal games and a high scoring 1 point title game. Probably the best 3 year stretch we've ever had in regards to overall competitiveness.

I agree … baylor ND the Ms State great team.... wish Vic S got an NCAA he is good coach....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think any rational UConn fan would have to acknowledge that Tennessee is the second toughest opponent that UConn has faced so far this year. Geno played a very respectable OOC schedule this season, but even so, games against opponents such as DePaul, Ohio State, Cal, Notre Dame (this particular year), and Vanderbilt do not approach the competitive challenge that the UConn team faced on Thursday night.

I think that is likely to be the case in future years as well. We can be sure that TN will present a big, fast, athletic team in almost every year. There are not 10 or 12 other out-of-conference opponents who can be counted on to provide a similar challenge.

Reaction Score
There was a little of the old magic in that game. You could feel it. And the fact that TN had really tall players, which is the toughest thing for our players to deal with, made it more of a struggle and worthwhile when CT won. It will help us if we have to face Baylor again. So, as long as TN continues to get some strong recruits, the game is good for CT. It brought a lot of eyes to the women's game too.

Reaction Score
No. This game should have never been played. It is a travesty. I am deeply embarrassed and horribly disappointed in UCONN and Geno for letting this happen. Can't believe they would allow evil like that into their house. (luckily it was only the XL ) That place needs to be decontaminated and those black jerseys, burned.
re: Jerseys

Can we please do away with black, grey and pink uniforms? School's colors are White and National Flag Blue. Call me old fashioned (some traditions are worth preserving). White at home, blue on the road.

Reaction Score
Coming out of the XL after the game, we walked by a group of orange clad people. One woman in the group shouted "F...UConn". My question do we want to see our players ( especially Evina) and coaches subject to that venom filled atmosphere in Tenn. once our two game obligation is over?
My answer is NO.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This has all been said above, I think but... Continue the game as long as the game is a draw for die hard and especially marginal fans but DO NOT go back to the twice a year, home and home.

I believe UT is on the rise and it looks like UConn will remain a top team for the forseeable future. Unlike some posters above I think any matchup that is "good for the game" (draws eyeballs nationally, inspires youngsters) is good for both schools.

It was unfortunate that the renewal game was a relatively low quality affair (poor shooting, turnovers). Not exactly a showcase outside of Husky and Lady Vol Nations.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I think any rational UConn fan would have to acknowledge that Tennessee is the second toughest opponent that UConn has faced so far this year. Geno played a very respectable OOC schedule this season, but even so, games against opponents such as DePaul, Ohio State, Cal, Notre Dame (this particular year), and Vanderbilt do not approach the competitive challenge that the UConn team faced on Thursday night.

I think that is likely to be the case in future years as well. We can be sure that TN will present a big, fast, athletic team in almost every year. There are not 10 or 12 other out-of-conference opponents who can be counted on to provide a similar challenge.

If you even up the points off turnovers it becomes a 6 point game. The good news for Tennessee is that their biggest problem is totally fixable, assuming the their coaches are reasonably competent and that the players are willing to be coached. Yup, they should be getting better down the road.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Coming out of the XL after the game, we walked by a group of orange clad people. One woman in the group shouted "F...UConn". My question do we want to see our players ( especially Evina) and coaches subject to that venom filled atmosphere in Tenn. once our two game obligation is over?
My answer is NO.

Guessing DT heard a few unkind things. Top players/programs generally use that to their benefit.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My answer is NO.

If some TN fan(s) had the temerity (the stones) to hurl obscenities at random UConn fans on the road, can you imagine the reception Geno, Evina and the team will get next year when they go to Knoxville? If I’m Geno, that’s not road trip I’m looking forward to.

I’m not subjecting my girls to that type of garbage and disrespect, for what? They didn’t do or say anything to, or about Tennessee, its players or the program to deserve that type of reaction (verbal assaults) from LV fans. The reception they receive will determine if UConn ever returns there again under Geno’s watch.

If TN is truly interested in resuming an ongoing home and home series, their fans must be on their best behavior without incident when UConn comes to town. My guess is this will be a one time visit.

I would be very interested to know if any of our fans crossed the line and hurled any obscenities or made any disrespectful comments or gestures to any TN fans Thursday. I hope not. We’re better than that.

That woman “confirmed” the hate and vitriol that is (imo) shared by many old guard LV fans. When you hear about incidents of that nature, it’s hard to have any empathy or respect for their program or it’s fans. I’m not turning the other cheek.

We don’t have to like them, but that does not mean we can’t be on our best behavior, show our class and pride, and conduct ourselves accordingly in their presence. I wonder if any young impressionable children were within earshot of that obscene comment?

It appears from that woman’s perspective, the only thing that has changed concerning this rivalry over the last 13 years is the date on the calendar.

I would love to get a first hand “Detailed” report from a UConn fan (wearing UConn gear) that attends the game next year. What they saw, what they heard and how they were treated and received during their time in and outside of the arena.

Last edited:

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I liked what Geno suggested have Pat and Kay Yow fundraiser blockbuster Doubleheader 4 top teams...move the venue around, Madison Square Garden, Las Vegas, Indy, etc Mix it up TN/UC one year, Stanford/UC another year, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom