Boneyard history | The Boneyard

Boneyard history

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m posting this to continue our reminisces about the old days and to give more recent members a little history.

The below was posted about 2002 by, I think, @Fishy . For those who may not know, Fishy has been around forever and is my counterpart on the men’s board.

824305D1-6108-495F-9B8D-402E9870D2D2.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I will add that Brett Rabideau had a mail list in the 90’s that many Boneyarders belonged to. If Tom and Fishy are the dads of the Boneyard, Brett may be the mom. I met lots of great people on that mail list and we had a Husky Road Crew that would load up a couple buses and travel to away games. Brett was my roomie when we went to Philly to see the men play Villanova in a day game (a win on a last second shot by Emeka Okafor) and the women play ‘nova on campus (a loss we won’t talk about).

Brett, Cathy, and I started Huskymaniacs vs Cancer where the board would donate $$ to the American Cancer Society for each three pointer made.

We were a lot more social back then….

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Ah, names from the past. I remember suzyq, a very frequent and popular poster. What ever happened to her?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I’m posting this to continue our reminisces about the old days and to give more recent members a little history.

The below was posted about 2002 by, I think, @Fishy . For those who may not know, Fishy has been around forever and is my counterpart on the men’s board.

View attachment 71882
That is strange. I definitely was on the Courant’s message board before ‘96 and followed @Fishy et al through their various board crashes, but only the name Boneyard sticks out to me both before and after the transition. I don’t recall at all the name Husky Howl used by the Courant. Senility?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That is strange. I definitely was on the Courant’s message board before ‘96 and followed @Fishy et al through their various board crashes, but only the name Boneyard sticks out to me both before and after the transition. I don’t recall at all the name Husky Howl used by the Courant. Senility?
Yeah, that 1996 might be a typo. My son was born in 1994 and I was craving any discussion that was not about nursing or pooping. I found Brett’s mail list first then followed it to the board. Could have been 1995 but no later.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
My recollection of the old Courant message board was actually not of the board itself but that back then (mid 90s) I had a low end computer and connected via a telephone modem. No one that used those modems will ever be able to forget the beeps and boops that led into getting a connection. Mmmmm, 4800 baud. Can't beat that technology!

Reaction Score
One of my fave moments, though not on the Womens board was when someone said something nice about Duke on the men’s board. He was immediately brought up for trial on whether to be banished.

@Deepster was involved I believe though I can’t recall whether as the culprit or the judge.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One of my fave moments, though not on the Womens board was when someone said something nice about Duke on the men’s board. He was immediately brought up for trial on whether to be banished.

@Deepster was involved I believe though I can’t recall whether as the culprit or the judge.
That’s the infamous “Beneduke Arnold” incident. I think it was @Dove and he bet on Dook over UConn. I’ll let him either tell the story, or correct my recollection.

The hangings are a great tradition on the men’s board. They are an annual “sacrifice” to the mojo gods in the lag after the regular season but before postseason play. The board is allowed to nominate various people who they think should be “hanged.“ There is a thread with spirited debate as to why the posters being offered up are particularly worthy of sacrifice.

Then there is the “trial” in which the victim… uh “defendant” has an opportunity to “defend themselves“.

Finally, there is sentencing in which the inevitably convicted poster is given some sort of punishment. Maybe it is a signature to add to his or her posts; maybe it is a specific limitation, for example a very verbose poster was required to post only in haiku; maybe it is a designated response to a poster that the board will use whenever they post during the postseason; or maybe it is a specific mojo action they must take like eating “the Mojo sandwich“ which consisted of turkey and ketchup on a roll since that particular poster used to complain about both turkey and ketchup. Often it’s multiple things all at once.

Some of the funniest things that have ever happened on The Boneyard arise out of “hangings“. It is one of the best traditions on here.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Are you really summoning Deepster to the women’s board? This could be interesting

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am thinking the Courant continued to have some form of message board after the Boneyard (or equivalent) broke away. I remember the ESPN board as well, but it was full of vitriol and of course the obligatory posts every day about 'my HS boys team could take Uconn women to the woodshed'.

And I definitely remember a period where the Boneyard seemed to move to a new server every few months and having to recreate user names and passwords.

Reaction Score
Beneduke arnold

Haha. Don’t recall that but genius.

Shea once referred to Tenns arena as puke orange so I guess if we had a traitor it would be Benepuke Arnold.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I skipped a step in the post above, I think.

After the Howl went south, a fellow named Frank D’Angelo saw the problem and started a message board called the Boneyard and we used it. It was set up on his work server and I believe CBS was footing the bill. It was kind of early days for the message board scene and there were some admin problems that cropped up along the way - like you could spoof anyone’s name and post as them.

That’s where Tom and I split off with a version of the Boneyard. Frank, who is still here, gave us the URL UConnfan.com and the Boneyard and we were off and running.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I think his handle was Dogfather, but his name is Ken.

During UConn’s first title run, we had an ESPN bracket and every single person picked UConn except Ken who took Duke in hopes of winning a coupon for a free pizza from ESPN.

Reaction Score

View attachment 71882

So, I guess I joined shortly after the 'Yard's inception. I remember, home after home, after home. I remember I had to change my name because of somethingorother, so I went from SallyH to VagabondSal. Shortly thereafter there was another home and I could return to SallyH. I even visited the TN board and used the same handle. When I registered with them (before they went behind a paywall) I said I just wanted to hear their perspective and wasn't there to be confrontational and they actually thanked me for using the same handle as on here.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that 1996 might be a typo. My son was born in 1994 and I was craving any discussion that was not about nursing or pooping. I found Brett’s mail list first then followed it to the board. Could have been 1995 but no later.
LOL. I remember my first cocktail party after giving birth to our first child. I was all decked out, make up and everything, and I was chatting with a man who finally grabbed me by both shoulders and said "STOP! You're making me seasick!" Apparently I had the new-mother rock.

Reaction Score
I think his handle was Dogfather, but his name is Ken.

During UConn’s first title run, we had an ESPN bracket and every single person picked UConn except Ken who took Duke in hopes of winning a coupon for a free pizza from ESPN.
He was hanged right? When there was a lull in conversation someone would suggest to hang Dogfather again. LOL

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score

I remember that... the Boneyard trials. This has got to be senility creeping in but didn't one of the women's board mods [Nan?] get caught up in one of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom