Boise St VS Tennessee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boise St VS Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Based on the attendance at Gampel tonight (3,666) for a session where all four teams were within a two hour drive, I'm not sure UConn fans are in a position to criticize.

Now i dont feel so bad about the 2,712 @ Duke. Thats actually about 1,712 more than I expected

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
In general, it bugs me when folks say a team has no chance in the tournament because they played the first game much more poorly than expected.

History proves this to be the case - I'm thinking UConn men in last year's tournament.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Since South Carolina had 10,644 for a Friday afternoon game against Savannah State, I'll criticize Tennessee for only having 6K+ for a Saturday afternoon game. I'm honestly shocked you guys had such a small crowd on a Saturday night, too. I won't criticize another team on their board, so I'll leave it at that. The proliferation of big screen HDTV's is really killing sports attendance in many markets and it's a darn shame. There's nothing like being there in person.
It's not the fans' fault, including the Dukies, LVs, etc. There was a column in the paper on this recently:

UConn Fans Take It On The 9 p.m. Chin Again ... Thanks TV, NCAA, Jeff Jacobs, Hartford Courant

I will add, on behalf of UConn fans, that many of us are going to the Regionals and/or Final Four. I personally didn't feel like spending more money on a guaranteed blowout from which I wouldn't get home until 12:30 am or later. And Jeff Jacobs had an excellent point - most UConn fans are very young or very mature. Late night games are not do-able for them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
South Carolina and Tennessee are big rivals in all sports, so naturally we want to outdraw them. Besides, I would think good attendance would be a selling point when recruiting. Our arch-rival, Clemson, draws about 700 per game. Can you see them bringing a mutual recruit to one of their games to sample the "atmosphere"?

CHLH - Yes fair point..... and I totally get the rivalry you have ..... just an impulse that made me write in..... some of the stuff talked about on this forum amazes me..... but yes, I will grant you, if my attendance was more than my rivals, i too would be struttin' it..... Good luck to you and the Cocks........ and get some good movement down low..... Mitchell I am sure will take care of everything on the outside..... you have a very good team

Reaction Score
In general, it bugs me when folks say a team has no chance in the tournament because they played the first game much more poorly than expected.

History proves this to be the case - I'm thinking UConn men in last year's tournament.

I agree with your assessment that one poor game does not determine your run in a tournament, however, I don't believe this Tennessee team has what it takes to make it to the FF. I recall watching Candace Parker's senior year games while at Tennessee and being quite unimpressed by some of them. I knew that team was definitely going to turn it up tournament time and be a championship contender because they had a superstar on their team. That's what big time players do when it counts-just like Diana, Maya, and Stewie. This year's Tenn. team may get to the FF if the pieces fall in place, but that will be it for them. Why? They lack any elite player that can bring home another championship.

You brought up the UConn men's team winning last year. My point exactly. Superstar=Shabazz Napier.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment that one poor game does not determine your run in a tournament, however, I don't believe this Tennessee team has what it takes to make it to the FF. I recall watching Candace Parker's senior year games while at Tennessee and being quite unimpressed by some of them. I knew that team was definitely going to turn it up tournament time and be a championship contender because they had a superstar on their team. That's what big time players do when it counts-just like Diana, Maya, and Stewie. This year's Tenn. team may get to the FF if the pieces fall in place, but that will be it for them. Why? They lack any elite player that can bring home another championship.

You brought up the UConn men's team winning last year. My point exactly. Superstar=Shabazz Napier.
I do understand. Yes this team doesn't have that superstar. That is unless Graves keep playing like she did yesterday. Now having Diamond next year will give the team that superstar player. As for this year if Tennessee does face UConn. A fully healthy team would have a little better chance of winning. If Harrison, Russell and Jones were playing.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I do understand. Yes this team doesn't have that superstar. That is unless Graves keep playing like she did yesterday. Now having Diamond next year will give the team that superstar player. As for this year if Tennessee does face UConn. A fully healthy team would have a little better chance of winning. If Harrison, Russell and Jones were playing.

No...we wouldn't

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No...we wouldn't
And in fairness, injuries are part of the game. Awful to say but it's true. UCONN would have won at least 12 NC's so far IMHO if we'd been totally healthy. Losing Abrosimova and Ralph at the start of the NCAA's cost us one. And look at the UCONN players injured over the years who lost PT at important points in the season:

Shea Ralph
Sveta Abrosimova
Ashley Battle
Morgan Valley
Nicole Wolff
Mel Thomas
Brittany Hunter
Kalana Greene
Caroline Doty
Michala Johnson
Brianna Banks
Morgan Tuck
Kaleena Lewis

Most of the kids listed either had their careers end due to injuries, lost almost an entire year due to injuries, or were lost for the season at a bad time of the year. Tennessee will probably have everyone next year and will still get slaughtered by UCONN if the 2 teams meet.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
You forgot Sue Bird on that list of injuries...she was out for most of her freshmen year. Then there was Kirsten Walters who was part of that class (Bird, Cash, Jones, Williams and Walters)...Walters was supposed to be the point guard and Sue the shooting guard. As accomplished as that class was...it could have been even more accomplished....if you can imagine that. We mustn't forget about when Maya Moore was ripped down from behind by the Rutgers muggers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom