Boise, Air Force, Houston, SMU, Navy and UCF | The Boneyard

Boise, Air Force, Houston, SMU, Navy and UCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think we're welcoming a new gaggle of programs in the right near future.

Reaction Score
If this is what it takes to be in a BCS conference, Lets do it. It is the Big East, and everyone of those programs is east of Hawaii.

Room for Temple and Army in the future in UConn and another team leave in the near future. Actually that is not a bad football conference and hopefully someone throws them nice football contract that is competitive with the other BCS conferences.

Reaction Score
At this moment as I let the dissapointment of the past month go, I feel good about these changes. It's not what I would have wished for, but it's problably the best we could have hoped for. A football conference of East: UConn, WVU, Rutgers, USF, UCF and Navy and West: Boise St., Air Force, 'Ville, Cincy, SMU and Houston is actually pretty decent. I think it preserves the BCS bid and hopefully there's a decent tv contract that follows.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn is guaranteed a Florida trip every year. We will see if that boosts recruiting.

East: Rutgers, UConn, Navy, WVU, UCF, USF

West: Louisville, Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, AFA, Boise

The west is pretty tough. East is manageable. Regional partners makes travel manageable. UConn will have head to Texas and the mountain states every other year.

Reaction Score
ESPN ticker says Boise and Air Force will likely decline.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I would just really hate to lose a WV or UL now, as the pickings get increasingly slim from here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I can live without landing Air Force or Boise St if we still pull the trigger on SMU and Houston. A conference with the current six (this is obviously under the assumption that for the next few years we won't lose anyone else) UCF, SMU and Houston would not be bad. A trip to Florida and Texas every year for recruiting, three schools that appear to be rising (to the point of almost always being ranked going forward) to add to what we have and we'll be pretty close to where we would have been with Cuse, Pitt and TCU (the only real loss from a football perspective would be TCU's #2 finish last year).

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I dont think Boise and decine if SMU and Houston were coming. Espn is meddling here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Two things.

1) The Big East has made a proposal, Boise and AFA may want to counter. That's what happens in negotiations.

2) ESPN is openly meddling.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the Big East offers an invite that is declined, I will start burying conference officials in my back yard. You don't offer unless you are so sure it will be accepted that you'd bet your mom's life on it.

These duck*ing hacks....

Reaction Score
I just hope the we raise the exit fee wherever we need to to expand. We are screwed without expansion. Scary.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There was a scene in the movie Syriana where the lead attorney for the firm representing the oil company that was attempting to merge with a competitor said "It isn't required that we actually perform due dilligence, what we need to do is give the appearance that we've performed due dilligence".

This is what the leadership clusterphook of this conference is reminding me of right now, The way they see it, they don't actually have to bring in schools to bolster the conference, they merely need to give the appearance that they attempted to bring in schools to bolster the conference.

To quote Yoda: "You do or you do not. There is no try."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There was a scene in the movie Syriana where the lead attorney for the firm representing the oil company that was attempting to merge with a competitor said "It isn't required that we actually perform due dilligence, what we need to do is give the appearance that we've performed due dilligence".

This is what the leadership clusterphook of this conference is reminding me of right now, The way they see it, they don't actually have to bring in schools to bolster the conference, they merely need to give the appearance that they attempted to bring in schools to bolster the conference.

To quote Yoda: "You do or you do not. There is no try."

Either they will join or they won't. It is not the leadership's fault if they don't, just the football schools'.

I won't look to ESPN for accuracy in this process though.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I saw a thread on the Memphis board yesterday where Gary Parrish(sic?) was tweeting about how the MW and CUSA could implode the BE by refusing to be raided. The BE needs football playing bodies, and can't do it with just independents that won't come in for all sports. What isn't clear to me is what happens to the BE AQ if the football conference ends, does it go to a MW/CUSA hybrid under the BCS formula or is it up for grabs with the big 5 remaining conferences?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ESPN ticker says Boise and Air Force will likely decline.
navy will likely decline too. right now it's just UCF. waiting on SMU and Houston...

Reaction Score
Its almost fitting that the Big East goes down with the final indignity of being rejected by MWC and conf USA schools.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
There is speculation that Houston and SMU could get an invite to the Big 12 and play with Texas again.

Rumors are rampant but it doesn't look good for the BE.

Reaction Score
People are way over paranoid right now. Houston. SMU and UCF would accept on the spot.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Mark my words...if it looks like this reconfigured Big East is going to happen, then at the very last minute you will see the Big 12 invite Louisville and WVU, and the ACC invite UConn. They have invested to much in this attack on the Big East to have the Big East survive and actually strengthen again. ESPN and the ACC need to make sure the Big East dies this time, and Nienas needs to make sure his 'consultant expertise' works for the other conference merger.

Reaction Score
Mark my words...if it looks like this reconfigured Big East is going to happen, then at the very last minute you will see the Big 12 invite Louisville and WVU, and the ACC invite UConn. They have invested to much in this attack on the Big East to have the Big East survive and actually strengthen again. ESPN and the ACC need to make sure the Big East dies this time, and Nienas needs to make sure his 'consultant expertise' works for the other conference merger.

I hope that is true, but I don't necessarily buy it. This would give the ACC and ESPN cover.

Reaction Score
I hope that is true, but I don't necessarily buy it. This would give the ACC and ESPN cover.

I for one hope it IS NOT true. I'd rather stay with the new BE. duck the ACC and duck ESPN.

duck 'em all...it's GAMEDAY!! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22