Bob Joyce just signed off WTIC 1080 this morning | The Boneyard

Bob Joyce just signed off WTIC 1080 this morning

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
And will be broadcasting UCONN Women's games presumably on 97.9.

How long until we hear the same about Joe D?

Reaction Score
Likely Joe D will not do UConn games even if he leaves WTIC as told to me by someone in Athletic Department. Same source told me the Joyce thing was going to happen.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with Joe D, but sometimes new blood is welcome after the fact. At the time, I hated that WEEI fired didn't renew the contract of Jerry Trupiano on the Red Sox radio broadcasts, but it opened the door for Dave O'Brien and now Tim Neverett. Incidentally, all three have better voices than Joe Castiglione.).

Reaction Score
And will be broadcasting UCONN Women's games presumably on 97.9.

How long until we hear the same about Joe D?

Joe is not going to be doing UConn games next year, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with Joe D, but sometimes new blood is welcome after the fact. At the time, I hated that WEEI fired didn't renew the contract of Jerry Trupiano on the Red Sox radio broadcasts, but it opened the door for Dave O'Brien and now Tim Neverett. Incidentally, all three have better voices than Joe Castiglione.).
Neverett is awful. Castiglione is by far the best out of all the Red Sox announcers

Reaction Score
Talking about the Red Sox announcers. I wonder if Dave O'brien would call UConn basketball games. He has nothing to do in those months and lives relatively close. Talked to him once at a Red Sox season ticket holder event and expressed how he loved going to Gampel.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Talking about the Red Sox announcers. I wonder if Dave O'brien would call UConn basketball games. He has nothing to do in those months and lives relatively close. Talked to him once at a Red Sox season ticket holder event and expressed how he loved going to Gampel.
He does ESPN b-ball broadcasts in the winter. Men’s and women’s. Usually gets the big women’s games. Unfortunately for him he is paired with Doris Barf.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Neverett is awful. Castiglione is by far the best out of all the Red Sox announcers
While Neverett's voice is a cheap imitation of Trupiano's, it is so much better than Castig's.

Going back to the WFTQ days, the only way I knew my analog dial clock radio (which I still have, but don't use) was in the vicinity of the Red Sox, was his super high nasally drone. After 35 years, I'm done with it. I want a traditional radio voice.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not to turn this into a Red Sox thread but the worst person doing Sox games is the random Jonny Gomes nights. His voice is awful, he provides no insight and when they pan to him in the booth he is dressed like a sophomore goth kid at homecoming.

Reaction Score
I have listened to 60 years of baseball on the radio and never have I heard an announcer make the mistakes Tim Neverett makes. Sometimes I wonder if he is actually watching the games.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I have listened to 60 years of baseball on the radio and never have I heard an announcer make the mistakes Tim Neverett makes. Sometimes I wonder if he is actually watching the games.
Maybe that is my issue then. I don't listen to games on the radio nearly as much as I used to.

One last thing before I drop the Red Sox angle of this thread...Red Sox fans can surely count our blessings that we don't have to suffer Susyn Waldman and John Sterling.

Reaction Score
I thought it was just me. He blows so many calls. If I'm driving with someone and Neverett is on the call I have them open up the MLB at Bat app to track it

Maybe that is my issue then. I don't listen to games on the radio nearly as much as I used to.

One last thing before I drop the Red Sox angle of this thread...Red Sox fans can surely count our blessings that we don't have to suffer Susyn Waldman and John Sterling.

This is very true

Reaction Score
I can’t standd listening to O’brien do the woman’s games to many mistakes glad he’s gone

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought it was just me. He blows so many calls. If I'm driving with someone and Neverett is on the call I have them open up the MLB at Bat app to track it

Now that's interesting. I haven't heard enough radio to catch that, I like the team. But this sounds like another Santos' situation. I listened to a ton of Gil Santos and you conditioned yourself to wait for the correction after the usually inaccurate first call.

Reaction Score
Not to turn this into a Red Sox thread but the worst person doing Sox games is the random Jonny Gomes nights. His voice is awful, he provides no insight and when they pan to him in the booth he is dressed like a sophomore goth kid at homecoming.
He drives me and my son nuts when he does games. He talks to the TV viewers like they are children the way he explains things. We still laugh at his explanation of inherited runners for a reliever.

Reaction Score
I can’t standd listening to O’brien do the woman’s games to many mistakes glad he’s gone

Every foul ball is "hammered" even if it bounces 10 times before the 3rd base coach picks it up. He seems to look for and emphasize whatever "jinx" he can come up with. "Gardner hasn't had a hit in this entire series." "If the Sox don't blow this lead..."

He ruined Sox baseball on the radio for me. Nothing was better than listening to Trup and Joe on a summer night. Patio, Beer, cigar. (I was too young to drink when listening to Hawk Harrelson and Ken Coleman.)

OB is awful and Neverett is just as bad. Gomes is horrific.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Also re: Gomes; the other night when they had the NESN internship winner in the booth (happened to be a very attractive young woman) he was standing like 2 inches away from her with the creepiest look on his face. I know it’s a small booth and there were a couple extra people in there but it was really weird. My buddy texted me the same thing as it was going down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom