Bob Hurley vs ASU AD Ray Anderson drama | The Boneyard

Bob Hurley vs ASU AD Ray Anderson drama

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
[Yahoo] - In an email sent from Arizona State basketball coach Bobby Hurley to ASU athletic director Ray Anderson in December, Hurley alleges that Anderson minimized the harassment allegations that three wives of ASU staff members brought forth against a prominent booster.
The other potential lawsuit tied to the allegations against Wear comes from former ASU assistant athletic director David Cohen. He filed a notice of claim for $1.5 million that says he was fired in retaliation for insisting Anderson and ASU officials investigate the claims against Wear. Arizona State admitted in a statement in February that the allegations “could have been resolved in a quicker timeframe.”
Hurley goes on to accuse Anderson of coming up with a numeric scale in which he judged the harassment claims by the three women, one of whom is Hurley’s wife, Leslie. Hurley asks Anderson how he’d feel if his wife and daughter were in a similar situation. “Maybe in your words, the sexual assault committed by (redacted) was a 2 or a 3, but if this had happened to Buffie or Kimmy, would it still be a level 2 or 3?” Hurley wrote in the email. He added: “You have chosen to create your own numeric scale on what sexual assault mean(s) which is disturbing.”

Wow.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Hard to see Anderson keeping his job of what Hurley said is true (which I have no reason to believe is not true). Good on Hurley for pressing the issue if it’s not being taken seriously.
Textbook example of how to handle this by Hurley. Take it seriously. Raise it up. Document that you raised it up.

There is virtually no scenario where Anderson keeps his job and Hurley goes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Something tells me the AD will be throwing the President under the bus soon too.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Thankful for Bob Sr. Raised two good men, and better coaches
Or really good coaches, and better men. Either way everybody wins. Strong character is something we can all use more of at the moment. I'm stoked that we seem to have gotten our share in DH.

C

Chief00

I don’t have any other knowledge of the facts in this case. I get Bobby’s point, but the best way to evaluate a situation isn’t always through a personal centric lens. You need some objective standard. How that gets developed, in this case may be an issue. I think you need various perspectives, backgrounds and a consistent process developing the standards.

Reaction Score
I don’t have any other knowledge of the facts in this case. I get Bobby’s point, but the best way to evaluate a situation isn’t always through a personal centric lens. You need some objective standard. How that gets developed, in this case may be an issue. I think you need various perspectives, backgrounds and a consistent process developing the standards.

Is that objective standard ranking the intensity of the harassment on a scale of 1-5? Looks like Bobby followed the process that the AD set. Doesn't like outcome or the process itself.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
From what little we know, perhaps Anderson's numeric scale represented a clumsy attempt to do what you've suggested, and that Anderson erred in not sufficiently factoring in the 'personal,' and Bobby's response would seem to bear that out. Yes, various perspectives & many factors, likely including the booster's dollar value.

Given that a former assistant level employee previously filed suit around termination for his speaking up about similar past allegations not being taken seriously enough, Hurley no doubt had his own complex calculations.

Reaction Score
From what little we know, perhaps Anderson's numeric scale represented a clumsy attempt to do what you've suggested, and that Anderson erred in not sufficiently factoring in the 'personal,' and Bobby's response would seem to bear that out. Yes, various perspectives & many factors, likely including the booster's dollar value.

Given that a former assistant level employee previously filed suit around termination for his speaking up about similar past allegations not being taken seriously enough, Hurley no doubt had his own complex calculations.

Hurleys calculations probably were that his wife was harassed and he’s pissed!!

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
With multiple attacks and victims shouldn't this be a matter for law and order? Are restraining orders and prosecution not an option.

Assume mega-donor denies allegations.

AD needs to protect employee and envirments based on laws available. Could show more empathy.

AD is not judge and jury.

Reaction Score
Wait, did the AD ask Hurley to rate the alleged incident 1-10, or was he asking the alleged victims? How or why would that be from Hurley’s POV, he’s not the one that was victimized, no?
I mean if my wife was harassed by some entitled D-*%bag that’d be a 10 for me, & I’d sure as hell wanna get to the bottom of it, pronto!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Wait, did the AD ask Hurley to rate the alleged incident 1-10, or was he asking the alleged victims? How or why would that be from Hurley’s POV, he’s not the one that was victimized, no?
I mean if my wife was harassed by some entitled D-*%bag that’d be a 10 for me, & I’d sure as hell wanna get to the bottom of it, pronto!
Hurley used the word assault not harassment. I suspect it something more than just offensive language, though it was obviously less than something that would cause the Hurley family to go to the police.

Just dumb by the AD. I suspect that he was trying to make the issue go away and protect the booster relationship. If so, 1) his priorities are off; 2) his methodology was dumb and 3) his dismissal of Hurley's concern was very likely to escalate the matter.

C

Chief00

Hurleys calculations probably were that his wife was harassed and he’s pissed!!
True, and the money dude may be guilty. If the AD’s system was created in a vaccum than its the wrong approach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom