Bob Huggins says the major conferences should start their own b-ball tournament | The Boneyard

Bob Huggins says the major conferences should start their own b-ball tournament

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is he positive that the Big 12 is still going to be considered a major conference?

Seems like the others didn’t think so when they excluded them from their lil alliance.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I could see the NCAA splitting in basketball the way it did in football in the 80s but it won’t be just the P5 + Big East. Other conferences would also be included: the A-10, WCC (if they still have Gonzaga), MW, MVC, Ivy, CAA, MAC, Sun Belt, C-USA probably all make the cut line. The would likely want to keep the 64-team tournament and having 15-16 conferences would keep the format alive as well as Cinderellas.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I could see the NCAA splitting in basketball the way it did in football in the 80s but it won’t be just the P5 + Big East. Other conferences would also be included: the A-10, WCC (if they still have Gonzaga), MW, MVC, Ivy, CAA, MAC, Sun Belt, C-USA probably all make the cut line. The would likely want to keep the 64-team tournament and having 15-16 conferences would keep the format alive as well as Cinderellas.
It would however shrink the size of Division 1 closer to 200 schools.

Reaction Score
People love the NCAA Tournament in the early rounds due to the Cinderella stories. Mercer beating Duke, Norfolk St. beating Missouri, Hampton beating Iowa St., Lehigh beating Duke, Richmond beating Syracuse, Vermont beating Syracuse, UMBC beating Virginia. Stephen F. Austin beating Huggins WVU. College basketball is not like college football as the little guys can beat the big guys. And, I don't see how you could exclude schools from every state. Politicians would go nuts.

Reaction Score
Is he positive that the Big 12 is still going to be considered a major conference?

Seems like the others didn’t think so when they excluded them from their lil alliance.

Then that would mean that the Big East and the SEC aren't major conferences either. But of course that's not true:

Reaction Score
The current contract for the NCAA men’s tournament pays out about 770M per year. If the P4/5 break away they can get that money directly and not have the NCAA skim off the top. Based on quick math thats over 12M per school. Not football money, but that’s just for the tournament. If you think the P4/5 shares equally with the Big East I’d have to say your crazy.

Reaction Score
There are only two ways to make that work:
1. Everyone participates like the Indiana /Ky HS tourney
I ran some models the other day and although less compelling
its doable.
2. The definition of major Conference is expanded for BB
Anything else would be a disaster.
However Penn State , BC, Rutgers ,or even Syracuse representing the entire NE is problematic.
An invitation 16, even 32 team type tournament with a 64 teams pool is simply unappealing.
Let’s be real here the NCAA has created the second best and most lucrative tournament in the world ,the best annual tournament. Killing the goose that lays the Golden eggs is insanity.
If you want more money that’s simple , just eliminate the General Academic Distribution. That doubles the money for participating conferences.
Increasing the Value of the Earned units which overwhelmingly go to power conferences.
If you really want to be nasty stop supporting all National Championships that are not Div1 .
I wonder what would happen if you stop funding any D2 women’s
tournament.

Reaction Score
Politicians would go nuts.

They did not go nuts over football and how many states would not be negatively affected? That’s a big bloc of about 30 states right there.

Reaction Score
Eventually the P4/P5 will spilt from the NCAA and have all their own tournaments. The disparity between the haves and have nots is just going to keep getting bigger: To me it just seems like a natural progression.

Reaction Score
The current contract for the NCAA men’s tournament pays out about 770M per year. If the P4/5 break away they can get that money directly and not have the NCAA skim off the top. Based on quick math thats over 12M per school. Not football money, but that’s just for the tournament. If you think the P4/5 shares equally with the Big East I’d have to say your crazy.
Most people don’t understand where the money goes. The NCAA basketball tournament funds all of the NCAA championships in all sports. And, money goes to D2 and D3 schools as well. If the P5 grabbed the all the money, they would then need to at least fund and manage all of the college sports championships.

As for the payoffs to schools currently, most goes to the major conferences based on tournament bids and success.

I just don’t see how or why they would change the tournament.

Reaction Score
a million times no but as long as the BE gets included i won't be 100% devastated. if there is a breakaway and the BE isn't invited...i don't even wanna think about it.

Reaction Score
The tournament is doomed.

We like to believe that we are rational beings, capable of coolly assessing situations, weighing and analyzing options, and choosing among them to produce the optimal outcome. Truth is, we are governed by forces and urges beyond our rational control - programmed into us millions of years ago before our ancestors rose upright, and started walking on two legs. Among them - to eat, to have sex, and to see something that really successful and good, and then flock it up.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The Huggins tournament isn't happening. If it did, we would be in and so would Villanova, Georgetown, Memphis, Gonzaga, etc.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Eventually the P4/P5 will spilt from the NCAA and have all their own tournaments. The disparity between the haves and have nots is just going to keep getting bigger: To me it just seems like a natural progression.
Doubt it. The P5 needs the rest to puff up their records and get additional home games.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
a million times no but as long as the BE gets included i won't be 100% devastated. if there is a breakaway and the BE isn't invited...i don't even wanna think about it.
We will be included, but it won't happen anyway.

Reaction Score
The NCAA basketball tournament funds all of the NCAA championships in all sports. And, money goes to D2 and D3 schools as well. If the P5 grabbed the all the money, they would then need to at least fund and manage all of the college sports championships.

The P4/5 don‘t need to fund anyone but themselves and thats what they will try to do.

Reaction Score
I think the likely scenario is football eventually breaks away from the NCAA, but basketball stays. I don’t think P4 presidents would be in favor of blowing up March Madness like that…something that big would find it’s way into national politics. Way too messy to even think about trying it

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I can’t wait for WV to get its come-up on a number of fronts. It’s hard to imagine a less relevant state that thinks higher of itself. It’s a dystopic future in the present.
Are we discussing basketball or demographics?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom