Bob Diaco is a loser | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Bob Diaco is a loser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and probably collecting good coin from UConn.

There was a noticeable improvement in the playcalling after the Tulane and USF disasters but it took a huge step backward last night. Wouldn't be the worst thing for TJ to return as OC next year. And if BD doesn't like it too bad.

The head coach should not be forced to hire someone he doesn't want. It is undermining and won't succeed.

Reaction Score
and probably collecting good coin from UConn.

There was a noticeable improvement in the playcalling after the Tulane and USF disasters but it took a huge step backward last night. Wouldn't be the worst thing for TJ to return as OC next year. And if BD doesn't like it too bad.
That would never happen sadly.

Reaction Score
Thank God the internet didn't exist when Calhoun and Geno started here. Yes, things are bad, but he inherited a bad team (that's why we fired the previous coach). The most interesting stat I heard is right now (and why they are this low doesn't change the fact that they are) Uconn has only 61 scholarship players instead of the 85 they are allowed to have. That means they have 1/4 the depth compared to the teams they are playing. Add in that the players learning a new system, and what were your real expectations for this team. I saw them below 500. I believe the offensive game plan is not very good (I predict this will be the 1 area coaches get replaced after the season), but the offensive line is getting run over and on offense you can only do so much if you can't run or pass block well. What quarterback would succeed when he is always running for his life. I know everyone of you would win a national title if you were coaching these guys, but your not, and you nor Nick Saban could. I think people who think that instead of being positive, the coach should berate his players when things go wrong when he knows the team is undermanned have never worked with kids, and NEVER should.

Nonsense. Calhoun and Geno went into every game trying to win. Diaco can't say the same thing. He does not have a winning mentality.

Who is the starting QB? Who is the starting RB? This team is in a state of disorder. There are no standard bearers, only experiments.

His time here has been so wishy washy and undefined. He hasn't done one thing here to indicate that we are headed in the right direction with regards to what this team does on the field.

Reaction Score
The UConn players sure gave the impression they did not want to be there last night. It also looks like they are starting to tune out Diaco. Can we stop with the 'attaboy's' when they come off the field after repeated failures? (not to mention 'that's another UConn 1st down' and the 3rd down siren when UConn is down 34 points)

Warde better pull BD aside and tell him the biggest part of his job is selling tickets. That means building up home games, not downplaying them. Does anybody really want to go to the SMU game?

Pretty early in the tenure to lose the locker room. But I guess since we only have 61 scholarship players left, he can recruit a whole new batch of guys.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What's wrong with Diaco?

-He must dismiss Cummings in the offseason. He does nothing for recruiting and moreover, has done nothing but regress with this offense.
-Diaco will need a selling point for next season's fan base - and that has to be a new offensive coordinator.
-Stop cuddling the players and cheering mediocre play. Its time to show angry Diaco. Baby time is over.
-Stop with the expanded player rotation - particularly on offense at the skill positions within the game itself. A firmer pecking order would suit everyone better for a host of reasons, but mostly because it would set clear expectations for all players about playing time. 5 snaps for everyone doesnt allow anyone to get better. If you want to test your players, give them entire games or 3/4 of a game rather than one or two series.
-In my opinion he has bent too far backwards trying to spark this team by playing freshman. I think he's playing freshman as a recruiting sell and that might work, but it has consequences such as a lack of a cohesive pecking order and continuity which would/should improve the team's performance.
-What the hell happened with leaning heavy on Geremy Davis? Injured or not, the decision by Cummings to play down Davis has been a great waste. For two seasons he gave defenses something to plan for...now?
-Stop with the heavy TE set and screen passes to wide receivers. Our TE cannot block and our screen passes are no threat to anyone and clearly obvious when called.
-I'll admit, I dont have the time, but it would be fun to watch the final three games of last year to remember what TJ Weist was doing vs Diaco/Cummings. They actually had 20 yd pass plays last year and offensive product that exceed my body weight.

Unrelated comments:
- Next year is all about Sherrifs and the new kid from Long Island. I love Boyle's in state story, but he's shown nothing that says he can play G5 football. Nothing. Sorry. Sheriff's cant be less accurate and at least he has wheels.
- Next year is also all about Diaco's kids on the O-line: Everyone but the great Dane need to go. Crozier showed a little something. Hopkins, Rutherford, Oak, Crozier and the Dane.
- Defense - I've watch a lot of opposing teams create obvious mismatches putting tall WR and TEs on our linebackers for huge gains. Diaco needs to do a better job avoiding obvious mismatches. Two plays I saw coming before the snap this season where the back to back big throws for BYU where their WR was matched up with Stewart. Conversely, our QBs need to get a clue how to recognize the same opportunities.

I'm ready to quit, but you cant....you have to keep trying.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't mean to call you out, but I absolutely can't stand when people on here point to the current state of the football program as proof that UConn doesn't belong in a P5 conference. Especially when - unlike some of the other dumpster fired who received invites - UConn has proven that it can be successful.

So, just for perspective, let's take a look at the ACC and B1G additions.

ACC:
1. Boston College - aside from hockey, their entire athletic department has been in shambles since shortly after leaving the Big East.

Huh ? I get the hate for BC, but it needs to be grounded in some sort of reality. BC has not been exactly " in shambles since shortly leaving the Big East". BC has won 2 Atlantic Division ACC regular season titles in football, and have been to 2 ACC League Championship Title games ( with Matt Ryan ). In Basketball, they were 33 seconds away.. with the lead.. in the ACC Tournament Basketball Finals Championship Game vs. Duke before losing by 2, 78-76. ( 2006 ) Yes, BC has gone thru Coaching changes the last couple of years and are in transition ( Addazio, Brown et al, seem to most unbiased observers be having BC on a recent upward swing in football). So its a bit over the top ( as well as inaccurate ) portrayal to say that BC has been " a shambles since leaving the BE " .

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Huh ? I get the hate for BC, but it needs to be grounded in some sort of reality. BC has not been exactly " in shambles since shortly leaving the Big East". BC has won 2 Atlantic Division ACC regular season titles in football, and have been to 2 ACC League Championship games ( with Matt Ryan ). In Basketball, they were 33 seconds away.. with the lead.. in the ACC Tournament Finals Championship Game vs. Duke before losing by 2, 78-76. Yes, BC has gone thru Coaching changes the last couple of years and are in transition ( Addazio, Brown et al, seemed to be having BC on a recent upward swing ). But its a bit over the top ( as well as inaccurate ) portrayal to say that BC has been " a shambles " in the ACC since leaving the BE that was crumbling.

Hanging on this board as a fan of the team can border on being a loser. Seriously, family, your career, actually playing sports and getting outside should mean so much more. Therefore, hanging here when this isn't even your team and we are not even a team in your conference and have any football history with is beyond puzzling. Asperger?

Reaction Score
Not to mention that yesterday had the look of a coach in total panic mode. I've never seen anything quite like this year's team...maybe, maybe Year 1 of the Schinao regime at Rutgers but he was coming into a program that was far more broken than anything UConn has. 18 years without a winning season. But Diaco made it completely clear after the Army game that he made the decision to basically go back to ground zero and rebuild from scratch than try to work with what he has. I hope he has a really high buyout because with his approach UConn is going to be looking at 3 -5 more years of this before there is even a possibility of turning this mess around. This is the risk of hiring an assistant. Some work out really well...Cavanaugh seems to have done that with the hockey team (and full disclosure he was not my preferred choice). But it doesn't always work out I have a huge concern that Diaco will take 4-5 years to get UConn back to 6-6, 7-5, but never get us much beyond that. But lots of coaches could have brought us to 6-6 working with what we have this year, next year worst case. I'm not usre I buy that the situation was so bad it needed to be totally wrecked and rebuilt. After all, this is a team that really was 1 game from bowling in 2011 and 2012, and won its last 3 in 2013, not some Rutgersian program that had gone decades without being competitive.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not to mention that yesterday had the look of a coach in total panic mode. I've never seen anything quite like this year's team...maybe, maybe Year 1 of the Schinao regime at Rutgers but he was coming into a program that was far more broken than anything UConn has. 18 years without a winning season. But Diaco made it completely clear after the Army game that he made the decision to basically go back to ground zero and rebuild from scratch than try to work with what he has. I hope he has a really high buyout because with his approach UConn is going to be looking at 3 -5 more years of this before there is even a possibility of turning this mess around. This is the risk of hiring an assistant. Some work out really well...Cavanaugh seems to have done that with the hockey team (and full disclosure he was not my preferred choice). But it doesn't always work out I have a huge concern that Diaco will take 4-5 years to get UConn back to 6-6, 7-5, but never get us much beyond that. But lots of coaches could have brought us to 6-6 working with what we have this year, next year worst case. I'm not usre I buy that the situation was so bad it needed to be totally wrecked and rebuilt. After all, this is a team that really was 1 game from bowling in 2011 and 2012, and won its last 3 in 2013, not some Rutgersian program that had gone decades without being competitive.
We'll obviously never know, but a combination of Weist and Hughes probably could have won 4 games this year, 6 tops in my opinion. Losing a pair of Tackles and Smallwood was big, but not insurmountable.

Reaction Score
We'll obviously never know, but a combination of Weist and Hughes probably could have won 4 games this year, 6 tops in my opinion. Losing a pair of Tackles and Smallwood was big, but not insurmountable.
That's fine but I suspect we'll be lucky to win 3. I'll take a shot at 6 any old day.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That's fine but I suspect we'll be lucky to win 3. I'll take a shot at 6 any old day.
I dont think we win the SMU game. Maybe if we start the walk on QB and Cummings gets a clue. So yes, we'll be lukcy to win 3.

Reaction Score
Dude - I get it. But there is a reality here. At this point it's all about how you compete. This team is not a single bit better than it was last year. In fact, they are worse.
Let's stay within this year then. I don't see improvement. I thought we may have seen some glimmers with UCF, but Army coupled with last night's show cannot possibly leave you thinking there has been improvement over the season. That was an abomination.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
UConn is only two players away from a winning season: Joe Montana and Lawrence Taylor, its too bad their so old now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn is only two players away from a winning season: Joe Montana and Lawrence Taylor, its too bad their so old now.

Taylor would still be better than the linebackers. That's the most painful to me. Such a good tradition of players there.

Reaction Score
Taylor would still be better than the linebackers. That's the most painful to me. Such a good tradition of players there.

The inconsistency has been maddening. Stewart has been an issue all season, but Vann needs more breaks. He is an intense player, but he really wears himself down.

I still think Obi should be moved to OLB. Throw Wilbur Lee at starter at S.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
you mean like TJ coming in to take DeLeone's spot?
TJ returning would be a dream come true. But its not happening. If Cummings isnt booted in December, its going to be tough to sell Diaco season two to the hard core fan.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The inconsistency has been maddening. Stewart has been an issue all season, but Vann needs more breaks. He is an intense player, but he really wears himself down.

I still think Obi should be moved to OLB. Throw Wilbur Lee at starter at S.
That's a pretty good idea. Opposing teams manage to frequently create mismatches on our OLB lining up WRs on Stewart and others.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty good idea. Opposing teams manage to frequently create mismatches on our OLB lining up WRs on Stewart and others.

This is a spread offense era. I think Obi can put on 15-20 pounds as well and still keep his impressive athleticism. His speed off the edge is extremely intriguing to me.

Reaction Score

Imagine this. We hire Joe Moorhead. He goes out and gets the band back together, Lyndon Johnson, Orlando, Lakatos and guys that knew how to get it done here.

I am not saying that they are the only ones who can be successful here, but there is no excuse for this team to be this incompetent.

Reaction Score
It still comes down to talent. The first two passes Boyle threw were dropped. Fox has great speed but he is a below average punt returning and has questionable hands as a receiver. Boyle throws a nice ball but is not very athletic and therefore is no threat to run. Although they are making some improvements as the year goes on, the offensive line is the worst in College football at the FBS level except for SMU's line. Dicao is building a good defense but we don't even have one defensive end or linebacker position player that has enough speed to get to the quarterback off the edge. I'm sorry but there is no coach in the world that could coach this current collection of players into a winning team. We need two strong recruiting classes in a row to improve this program. The last two Edsell's recruiting classes were awful and the first two PP's classes were not very good either. We are all frustrated as fans but we have to give Diaco more time to improve the talent level.

Reaction Score
It still comes down to talent. The first two passes Boyle threw were dropped. Fox has great speed but he is a below average punt returning and has questionable hands as a receiver. Boyle throws a nice ball but is not very athletic and therefore is no threat to run. Although they are making some improvements as the year goes on, the offensive line is the worst in College football at the FBS level except for SMU's line. Dicao is building a good defense but we don't even have one defensive end or linebacker position player that has enough speed to get to the quarterback off the edge. I'm sorry but there is no coach in the world that could coach this current collection of players into a winning team. We need two strong recruiting classes in a row to improve this program. The last two Edsell's recruiting classes were awful and the first two PP's classes were not very good either. We are all frustrated as fans but we have to give Diaco more time to improve the talent level.

Just a comment on the defense. In the 3-4 sets we run, we simply need the ends to hold the edge. Being able to push the pocket would be nice, but, there are few 3-4 ends that can get consistent pressure (see JJ Watt, Mario Williams). But agreed on OLB. When asked to rush, Stewart gets engulfed by the opposing teams tackles. If a 3-4 end holds the edge, we need an OLB that can get in his hip pocket and sprint to the qb. Obi can probably do it if he is moved.

Reaction Score
Just a comment on the defense. In the 3-4 sets we run, we simply need the ends to hold the edge. Being able to push the pocket would be nice, but, there are few 3-4 ends that can get consistent pressure (see JJ Watt, Mario Williams). But agreed on OLB. When asked to rush, Stewart gets engulfed by the opposing teams tackles. If a 3-4 end holds the edge, we need an OLB that can get in his hip pocket and sprint to the qb. Obi can probably do it if he is moved.
The lack of depth is clearly visible here. Trying to transition to a 3-4 with a roster of players that don't fit the scheme has been tough. It will take multiple recruiting classes before it really takes shape. The size/speed combo Diaco is recruiting should hopefully help the defense flourish.

Reaction Score
I was kind of hoping that I would read that we played the Cincinnati Bengals by mistake last night... since that was the worst football display I have ever seen. It looked like when you play your 7 year old son in basketball or football and you can do whatever you want when you want...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom