Boatright | The Boneyard

Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have to say this: Boatright has turned from a player who I was most frustrated with and did not want to see in the lineup his freshman and soph years, to a player that I respect and appreciate as much as any other UConn player in the 25 years I have followed UConn BB.

His freshman and sophomore year, he really struggled with turnovers and decision making. He wasn't a very good outside shooter and he didn't finish at the rim well. I gave up on him going into his junior season. But then I saw something really change in him as the season progressed. His defense got 2-3X better, he was finishing at the rim better and he developed a really nice 15-18 foot spot up jumper. I think he realized that he was not the man, and he played a role on the team and deferred to Napier. I can only imagine what would have happened to him and the team had that Shabazz "shove" in the championship game occurred earlier in his career - I think it would have shut him down and we would not have won the Fourth. It was at that moment that I saw how mature he had really become.

Fast forward to this year, and I have been even more impressed with him. He knows his role this year is to be the leader, the top scorer, the top rebounder, the top assist man, and he has taken on that responsibility and I think, delivered. I marveled at the last several games where after some challenging offensive possessions, he maintained his calm and reset the the offense - the RB of the past would have tried to force a drive into traffic or taken a quick 26 footer. His maturity and basketball IQ has once again grown incredibly from year to year.

I was one of the ones critical of Ryan for always going to a jump stop and getting his shot blocked on fastbreak layups. I smiled the last several games where at least on two occasions each game, he had layups going off on one foot - and in situations where the split second mattered.

Ryan, thanks for proving me wrong. I should not have doubted you but now really appreciate and recognize how you've grown as a person and basketball player. No matter what happens this year, you are a winner and a champion.

Note - I realize you can say this for many UConn players who went through their senior season, but for some reason, I really appreciated RB's transformation - maybe because I was so critical of him early on.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I have to say this: Boatright has turned from a player who I was most frustrated with and did not want to see in the lineup his freshman and soph years, to a player that I respect and appreciate as much as any other UConn player in the 25 years I have followed UConn BB.

His freshman and sophomore year, he really struggled with turnovers and decision making. He wasn't a very good outside shooter and he didn't finish at the rim well. I gave up on him going into his junior season. But then I saw something really change in him as the season progressed. His defense got 2-3X better, he was finishing at the rim better and he developed a really nice 15-18 foot spot up jumper. I think he realized that he was not the man, and he played a role on the team and deferred to Napier. I can only imagine what would have happened to him and the team had that Shabazz "shove" in the championship game occurred earlier in his career - I think it would have shut him down and we would not have won the Fourth. It was at that moment that I saw how mature he had really become.

Fast forward to this year, and I have been even more impressed with him. He knows his role this year is to be the leader, the top scorer, the top rebounder, the top assist man, and he has taken on that responsibility and I think, delivered. I marveled at the last several games where after some challenging offensive possessions, he maintained his calm and reset the the offense - the RB of the past would have tried to force a drive into traffic or taken a quick 26 footer. His maturity and basketball IQ has once again grown incredibly from year to year.

I was one of the ones critical of Ryan for always going to a jump stop and getting his shot blocked on fastbreak layups. I smiled the last several games where at least on two occasions each game, he had layups going off on one foot - and in situations where the split second mattered.

Ryan, thanks for proving me wrong. I should not have doubted you but now really appreciate and recognize how you've grown as a person and basketball player. No matter what happens this year, you are a winner and a champion.

Note - I realize you can say this for many UConn players who went through their senior season, but for some reason, I really appreciated RB's transformation - maybe because I was so critical of him early on.
Been saying the same thing. The kid has matured so much and so quickly. His game has elevated and fights every game. His freshman started off on a witch hunt as jay bilas said. He kept quiet and was bazzs Robin, always had his back and now it's his turn to run the show and he's exceeding expectations. Without his defense and ability to run the show for bazz we don't win the title.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% with this. He was so tough to watch early in his career, even if you just simply watched his body language. I honestly never thought I'd see the day where I get nervous whenever he wasn't on the court but he really has grown leaps and bounds as a player and, seemingly, as a man. We've already watched two great guards learn, grow, and mature here and leave as champions, I'm really for pulling for Boat to be able to do the same.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Where would this team be without Boat!? He's been an awesome leader this year.

Coming into the year I thought we would have all of the necessary pieces around Boat and that it would be up to him to assume the leadership/distributor role as our lead PG. Could I have been more wrong? Boat has been the one stable thing on the team this year and we are still working on getting the pieces around him sorted and into reliable roles.

For those excited about how good our team will be next year, don't take for granted what it's like to have an experienced senior leader as your PG. As talented as Jalen Adams will be, there will be some big growing pains next year, undoubtedly.

Reaction Score
I really want the school to start playing a parody of this god awful song "coco" with the lyrics:

IM IN LOVE WIT DA BOAT SHOW
IM IN LOVE WIT DA BOAT SHOW

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Boat is a testament to why collegiate athletes have four years of eligibility. Playing college ball is a process that requires maturation and self-discipline on top of talent. He's made such great strides as a player and a leader, and I'm looking forward to what he'll continue to do for us.

Reaction Score
So does Ryan deserve a spot in the Huskies Of Honor? I think if he continues to play to his averages and the huskies make the tourney he will have earned a spot. It's been a tremendous transformation from a talented boy to an amazing young man

Reaction Score
So does Ryan deserve a spot in the Huskies Of Honor? I think if he continues to play to his averages and the huskies make the tourney he will have earned a spot. It's been a tremendous transformation from a talented boy to an amazing young man
Yes, his defense in the tournament alone should put him up there. We have had some bad breaks so far this year but Boat has been great and has been a leader, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we go on another run this year and Boat is the catalyst. We've never had another player tougher than Boat.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I correlate the change in Boat's drive and determination, and most of all his adoption of a totally selfless approach to the game, with the point at which he really started healing from the loss of his cousin last January. If my memory serves, the growth spurt started to become evident when he returned from the funeral. I think he missed the thrashing of Temple, and returned for an away game at Rutgers. He only scored 10 or 12 points, but had a couple blocks and I think four steals and a half-dozen boards to only one or two fouls and one turn over. I remember being astounded by his defensive tenacity and discipline, and thinking, "Wow! If he would play like that every game, we could go all the way this year."
He did.
We did.

Reaction Score
Boat has lived up to the best case scenario I had in my head on the day it was announced he was coming back. Incredible job by him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Well said. From being impressed with his speed but hoping the ball didn't go in his hands; to being the mature leader with tons of extra talent under control. There is something different about my satisfaction and pride in him than what I felt even for Bazz & Kemba.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
One of the toughest players I can recall at uconn. He takes a beating and keeps going.

C

Chief00

A couple people have asked me to break down Boat's game. I will but I don't simply have the time this week - I did recently break down Calhoun's and Hamilton's games :).

Reaction Score
A couple people have asked me to break down Boat's game. I will but I don't simply have the time this week - I did recently break down Calhoun's and Hamilton's games :).

Quite frankly, nobody cares.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
List of Guards who haven't developed exponentially under Ollie:

Seriously. We've had 3 point guards lead this team since Ollie's took over, and all of them have made enormous strides over their college careers. This is why I'm not worried in the least about T-Sam taking over next year.

Reaction Score
Seriously. We've had 3 point guards lead this team since Ollie's took over, and all of them have made enormous strides over their college careers. This is why I'm not worried in the least about T-Sam taking over next year.

T-Sam will not be "taking over" he will resume his very important role as solid back up, occasional spot starter. I f any more results it won't e fun. As good as he's played he is what he is, limited but solid on D and good when he takes care of the ball. Jalen will come in and be handed the reigns and learn on the run I believe.

Boat has been amazing this year, much better than I would have ever thought. While he became a much more consistent performer last year the question was still there as an actual leader, PG and he's performed above and beyond. Still some work to do of him I'm sure because he wants to get back to the dance, so we'll see. But an amazing job, great kid.

Reaction Score
We said the same thing about Napier when he was a freshmen, that's why we need to give Hamilton and some other young guys a break sometimes.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
T-Sam will not be "taking over" he will resume his very important role as solid back up, occasional spot starter. I f any more results it won't e fun. As good as he's played he is what he is, limited but solid on D and good when he takes care of the ball. Jalen will come in and be handed the reigns and learn on the run I believe.

Boat has been amazing this year, much better than I would have ever thought. While he became a much more consistent performer last year the question was still there as an actual leader, PG and he's performed above and beyond. Still some work to do of him I'm sure because he wants to get back to the dance, so we'll see. But an amazing job, great kid.

I live Jalen Adams, and think he's going to be great, but if he's our starting point guard then next year is going to be a disaster. Just think about how good Shabazz and Kemba were as upperclassmen; even they were extremely limited as freshman. If either lead the team that year, we're probably a bubble team at best. You have to be exceedingly talented to come in and lead your team as a freshman, ESPECIALLY at that position.

I know you don't have much confidence in T-Sam being a starter, but I also remember you being apprehensive aboutBBoatright leading the team this year, so I hope you're wrong again! ;)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
bellairehusky said:

If you look at past history, all of our great PG s have had some time behind another great PG. When there has been a gap it's been a struggle.

Reaction Score
If you look at past history, all of our great PG s have had some time behind another great PG. When there has been a gap it's been a struggle.

I think that the difference here is that Adams would be coming into a situation with a veteran-laden team where the focus would be on the frontcourt. Khalid, for example, came in as a freshman and was great right away because he was playing with a veteran team.

I also think that Samuel could provide plenty of meaningful minutes on that squad, since he also won't need to be a star at the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom