Boatright | The Boneyard

Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Same here - big missing piece right now - change of pace guard, spark of the bench/energizer, depth at guard in general. If this team is going to make some noise, he's critical.

Hard to get too pumped about that clip - guy is schooling what looks like Iowa farmboy AAU. Slow honkeys is not what he's going to be seeing in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Boatright and Napier will wreck havoc together on the court. That is what I'm looking forward to with UConn. Its always about the guards in college. The 5 I want to see on the court together is somewhat unconventional but man I'm looking forward to the prospects of seeing it periodically from JC.

Reaction Score
Unless I'm missing something, Boatright's status doesn't make sense: from the NCAA website.

What's the excess?

Amateur Athletic Clubs

College-bound student-athletes may participate in amateur sports clubs as long as they do not receive expenses in excess of travel, lodging or equipment for practice or competition. A prospect may accept prize money based on performance in an open competition as long as the prize is awarded by the sponsor of the event and the amount of the prize does not exceed the student-athlete’s expenses to compete in the event. College or university representatives may not help with fundraising efforts for a student-athlete’s amateur club team.
Last Updated: Aug 24, 2011

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Unless I'm missing something, Boatright's status doesn't make sense: from the NCAA website.

What's the excess?

Amateur Athletic Clubs

College-bound student-athletes may participate in amateur sports clubs as long as they do not receive expenses in excess of travel, lodging or equipment for practice or competition. A prospect may accept prize money based on performance in an open competition as long as the prize is awarded by the sponsor of the event and the amount of the prize does not exceed the student-athlete’s expenses to compete in the event. College or university representatives may not help with fundraising efforts for a student-athlete’s amateur club team.

the ncaa hates us

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

What's the excess?

Amateur Athletic Clubs

I had to dig through the actual rule book instead of the simple paragraph on the webpage. It seems that applies to the club or event paying for the travel, not an AAU coach:

12.1.2.1 Prohibited Forms of Pay.

“Pay,” as used in Bylaw 12.1.2 above, includes, but is not limited to, the
following:

12.1.2.1.4.5 Expenses from Sponsor Other Than Parents/Legal Guardians or Nonprofessional

Sponsor of Event.

Actual and necessary expenses or any other form of compensation to
participate in athletics competition (while not representing an educational institution) from a sponsor

other than an individual upon whom the athlete is naturally or legally dependent or the nonprofessional

organization that is sponsoring the competition. (See Bylaw 12.1.2.1.6.1.)

(Adopted: 8/26/10)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
People who run athletics in just about any sport happen to be overstuffed, imbecilic s***bags.

I make an exception for David Stern - he is the honey badger of sports. Honey badger don't give a s***. And I will give a pass to whoever runs MMA because they have made money selling a sport that appeals to people who have no money.

But the rest of them are dangerous.

Bud Selig is a potted plant. Roger Goodell has the restraint of Genghis Khan and would fine black players for tackling if he could get away with it. Hockey, boxing, Indy Car racing, horse racing, etc., etc. Tell me that anyone running any of those sports exhibits any sort of competence. You can't. (Okay, Goodell is competent, but so was Vlad the Impaler.)

Same thing with the NCAA. They have no real power except for the power they wield over people who have no power. It is a little like a campus cop pulling over a star hoops player and making him sit there for 90 minutes while he hopes and prays that he finds something, anything that will let him drag his trophy down to the station house. (Yes, that happened.)

So the NCAA rattles its sabers at kids like Boatright and CJ Leslie and Tim Abromaitis. Abromaitis gets to miss four games because Notre Dame quite innocently misunderstood an idiotic rule and Leslie gets to sit three games because he had to borrow a car when his was damaged and someone else paid some nominal amount for an apartment application for Leslie's brother.

The world of sport and the integrity of the NCAA were hardly damaged by those examples, but the NCAA had to wave their lil dinkies in the kids' faces by suspended them and earning them a spell on the front of ESPN.com. Well done, boys.

If Boatright gets less than six games, I will be surprised. I expect him to get smacked. I then expect ESPN to carry the story on the front page for about a day - that is how these things seem to roll, no?

On a semi-related note, I am sick of Reggie Rose.

Reaction Score
Six games would be ridiculous. The system is broken and makes less and less sense as the years tick by. They at the very least should do their job in a timely fashion. It's adding insult to injury.

Reaction Score
What adds an extra layer of frustration is that the NCAA can move quickly when they want to. For example, when a decision needed to be made on Cam Newton and the Ohio State football players last year, they were able to make ruling well before the bowl games.

But when they can take their time with a Ryan Boatright, they will.

Reaction Score
What adds an extra layer of frustration is that the NCAA can move quickly when they want to. For example, when a decision needed to be made on Cam Newton and the Ohio State football players last year, they were able to make ruling well before the bowl games.

But when they can take their time with a Ryan Boatright, they will.
The NCAA gagged on Cam Newton. If they had a smidgen of integrity, Auburn and the other schools in the SEC that allowed Newton's father to try extorting them should have been dealt with in the harshest terms. He was probably paid off big time. That most news outlets focus on a kid getting a plane ticket rather than the plane is disgusting.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I really think that getting Boatright back will be a huge help to this team. Not only will it spell Bazz, but it will allow Bazz to be more aggressive on both defense and push tempo on offense.

More importantly, our offense is lacking a penetrator like Boatright. When he gets in the lane, he should free up our bigs for a lot more easy buckets. I expect AO and AD to benefit the most from Boatrights presense.

The NCAA better hurry up and decide whats happening because this is starting to get a little ridiculous.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
There's a list of apparently 50 or so athletes in similar situations right now and Boatrights' roughly 28th on the list. I heard that the NCAA is going one case at a time so it could be a little bit till they get to him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There's a list of apparently 50 or so athletes in similar situations right now and Boatrights' roughly 28th on the list. I heard that the NCAA is going one case at a time so it could be a little bit till they get to him.

That may be, but how gnikcvf hard is it to evaluate a case like RB's. Did he get a flight to an AAU event? Ok, who paid for it? How was any potential payback handled? Any documentation? Talk to a couple coaches, family members, etc. and make a ruling. If the situation was mishandled, levy a suspension and go on your way. A single person could wrap up this 'investigation' in less than a day.

Reaction Score
boat is sitting out games now and they will be counted toward any suspension levied against him.

Reaction Score
Are we positive about this?
Yes, but I don't think the two exhibition games count. Hopefully the NCAA makes their ruling soon since the penalty might be around 2 to 3 games, similar to what another player received recently.

What would be a shame is if they continue to drag this out and do one of their time served decisions after he missed 4, 5 or however many games he sits out before the ruling. I believe that happened to Charlie who missed something like 7 games which seemed excessive for what he did.

I picture the NCAA compliance staff as that Capital One commercial (I think it's that company) where that guy from Russia or some country from that part of the world picks up the phone from his home and stalls the customer. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yes, but I don't think the two exhibition games count. Hopefully the NCAA makes their ruling soon since the penalty might be around 2 to 3 games, similar to what another player received recently.

What would be a shame is if they continue to drag this out and do one of their time served decisions after he missed 4, 5 or however many games he sits out before the ruling. I believe that happened to Charlie who missed something like 7 games which seemed excessive for what he did.

I picture the NCAA compliance staff as that Capital One commercial (I think it's that company) where that guy from Russia or some country from that part of the world picks up the phone from his home and stalls the customer. :rolleyes:

hello this is peggy.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

It was CV. I was going to post this. Glad you did. Frustrating. The reason they make schools pick a number most likely is to get schools to self report and get things into the NCAA as fast as possible. The early bird gets less punished.

I wonder what number they're up to now. Imagine the recruit who is number 56. That's like the crewman 400 on Star Trek.

Reaction Score
That may be, but how gnikcvf hard is it to evaluate a case like RB's. Did he get a flight to an AAU event? Ok, who paid for it? How was any potential payback handled? Any documentation? Talk to a couple coaches, family members, etc. and make a ruling. If the situation was mishandled, levy a suspension and go on your way. A single person could wrap up this 'investigation' in less than a day.

IMO, don't forget that most, if not all, investigators for the NCAA are ex-FBI, CIA, DEA or some other alphabet outfit.

All of them need to justify their salaries by nit-picking over rules that were made to justify their existence.

Just my opinion, of course.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
People who run athletics in just about any sport happen to be overstuffed, imbecilic s***bags.

I make an exception for David Stern - he is the honey badger of sports. Honey badger don't give a s***. And I will give a pass to whoever runs MMA because they have made money selling a sport that appeals to people who have no money.

But the rest of them are dangerous.

Bud Selig is a potted plant. Roger Goodell has the restraint of Genghis Khan and would fine black players for tackling if he could get away with it. Hockey, boxing, Indy Car racing, horse racing, etc., etc. Tell me that anyone running any of those sports exhibits any sort of competence. You can't. (Okay, Goodell is competent, but so was Vlad the Impaler.)

Same thing with the NCAA. They have no real power except for the power they wield over people who have no power. It is a little like a campus cop pulling over a star hoops player and making him sit there for 90 minutes while he hopes and prays that he finds something, anything that will let him drag his trophy down to the station house. (Yes, that happened.)

So the NCAA rattles its sabers at kids like Boatright and CJ Leslie and Tim Abromaitis. Abromaitis gets to miss four games because Notre Dame quite innocently misunderstood an idiotic rule and Leslie gets to sit three games because he had to borrow a car when his was damaged and someone else paid some nominal amount for an apartment application for Leslie's brother.

The world of sport and the integrity of the NCAA were hardly damaged by those examples, but the NCAA had to wave their lil dinkies in the kids' faces by suspended them and earning them a spell on the front of ESPN.com. Well done, boys.

If Boatright gets less than six games, I will be surprised. I expect him to get smacked. I then expect ESPN to carry the story on the front page for about a day - that is how these things seem to roll, no?

On a semi-related note, I am sick of Reggie Rose.

So you really think Godell is a racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul