Boatright | The Boneyard

Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I honestly don't get a lot of the criticism. The kid is so much more under control than he used to be. He got beat a couple times defensively, but they all did, and he made some really nice - really nice - finds in the half court that should have led to buckets. He played a productive game.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't get a lot of the criticism. The kid is so much more under control than he used to be. He got beat a couple times defensively, but they all did, and he made some really nice - really nice - finds in the half court that should have led to buckets. He played a productive game.

Agreed he is playing more under control, but UConn absolutely needs to get some more points from this kid if we want to be playing past the first week of the tournament. Especially with Calhoun in a deep funk.

UConn was stuck on 54 and 56 points forever. Boatright has got to step up and be more explosive from a scoring stand point. Napier and Daniels need more help. The help won't be coming from the big guys. Boatright and Calhoun are the 2 capable of providing more scoring right now and it has to be RB. It was a touch match up with UF's length but He nailed that one 3 to put us up 54-49 like it was money. More of that please!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boat is under the microscope from us critical fans. Outsiders see a star on the sidewalk, insiders see every crack.

He is certainly better this year and is not a problem whatsoever. What people aren't saying is that he seems comfortable with Bazz getting the attention, that is a major development for us (i.e. not trying to outshine Bazz). He's a junior and is right where he should be (collegiate wise).

Reaction Score
On the last hoop from the Gators Boat worked his sack off to stay with Frazier and on the 2nd run around the Young pick was just hip'd off the play and got no help from Deandre who should have recognized the necessity to leave his man and didn't.........thought he played hard on both ends. Needs to make more shots and needs to cut the mustard less for sure and just play (the pass to no one because he tried to be sweet is something he needs to do less of).....but overall he has improved on his ability to slow down and stay within the flow. Still a ways to go but I'm glad we have him!

Reaction Score
Ollie's lineup in the first half contributed to some negativity because the lineups were so unbalanced. Either Shabazz or Boat were sitting, and you had no scoring options out there. I mean, Facey, Nolan, Kromah, Boat and Giffey? That's not going to cut it. And it looked like that for 5 minutes (Shabazz came into the same lineup when Boat sat) when UConn went into a funk and Florida went up by 8. Couldn't figure it out. That's when Boat played his worst, he was swallowed up there.

Reaction Score
Overall i was pleased with boatright's performance. I thought there were a couple times he slashed into the paint but either had to pull out or dish because the florida bigs closed on him and his lack of size prevented him from going up with the ball.

Reaction Score
Boatright's problem is he's 5'9"+/- and not 6'2". His jump shot isn't where it needs to be for him to be a scorer like Bazz or Kemba turned into, and he's so short he struggles to finish in the paint.

If his shooting improves and becomes more consistent, he'll be much better. He works hard on defense, and he's playing under control, After him and Shabazz we don't have any point guards so we're lucky to have him.

Reaction Score
Boatright's problem is he's 5'9"+/- and not 6'2". His jump shot isn't where it needs to be for him to be a scorer like Bazz or Kemba turned into, and he's so short he struggles to finish in the paint.

It wasn't pretty seeing him have to jump to pass the ball over the taller guards last night. For once it was noticeable how short he is.

Reaction Score
It wasn't pretty seeing him have to jump to pass the ball over the taller guards last night. For once it was noticeable how short he is.

Although they lost Wilkebin their defense was LONG when he was out......they made our guards start the offense much further from the hoop and it was effective. I'm guessing Billy D will use that in the future as a ploy.

Reaction Score
I had a dream that, a few months ago, a wise, not-so-old NBA veteran sat down with Boat and laid out in vivid detail how the only possible path to the NBA for the young guard was to be a supporting player this year and the guy who leads the team next year, with the understanding that there is no room on the 2014 Huskies for Boat to be playing for the scouts, but there would be much more opportunity next year to showcase his talent. In this dream, the veteran was a player who was a marginal NBA talent who knew exactly what it took to break into and make it in the league, and whose love for and support of the player was unquestionable and unwavering. And the young Boat did hear those wise words. And he did contemplate them. And he did heed the sage. And all was well.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Who's criticizing Boat? The kid was probably our second best player out there last night. Boat and Bazz each had a few costly turnovers at key moments, but people only complain about Boat? Both Boat and Bazz got beat defensively a few times too, but that is to be expected since they are smaller guards.

Boat had great control when he penetrated into the lane last night against a tough, big team with lots of ball pressure on screens and pick-and-rolls. I cringed a few times when he took it in the lane, but he was very heady and pulled it out and reset when he needed to. I thought he made a lot of good decisions and he had a great game. Don't forget who got into the lane and kicked it out to Bazz on the 4-pt play at the end...

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He's playing well. His jumper might not be falling but he's attacking the basket and playing great d.

Reaction Score
I think the new foul rules are impacting the games and coaches will adjust as the season moves on. Power big men can't be easily stopped when they are in the paint and penetrating guards will almost always be fouled. Boat should be attacking the basket more. It would open up his outside game as well.

Reaction Score
Agreed he is playing more under control, but UConn absolutely needs to get some more points from this kid if we want to be playing past the first week of the tournament. Especially with Calhoun in a deep funk.

UConn was stuck on 54 and 56 points forever. Boatright has got to step up and be more explosive from a scoring stand point. Napier and Daniels need more help. The help won't be coming from the big guys. Boatright and Calhoun are the 2 capable of providing more scoring right now and it has to be RB. It was a touch match up with UF's length but He nailed that one 3 to put us up 54-49 like it was money. More of that please!

That, my friend, just about sums it up in a nutshell.

caw

Reaction Score
He is shooting good shots outside the arc, and hitting a good percentage (very good). He has been quite poor inside the arc. Some of it is bad shot selection, but most is just bad shooting. He was much better last year (even though not great). Hopefully his shot starts to drop.

Reaction Score
Disclaimer upfront: just stating the facts, not criticizing Boat.

Boat is a good player. A star player, definitely not.

1. He is missing one killer move offensively that Kemba and Shabazz both possess: creating the separation to get his shots off, at a higher percentage. This is what makes Kemba and Shabazz absolutely deadly, and virtually un-guardable one on one.

2. He is a defensive liability. this is due to his height being 5'8'' or 5'9''. He is undersized guard.
His quickness makes up some, but that's it. Unfortunately this cannot be changed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Boat is a star player and is playing light years better than last year. He's just not "the man" this year.

His play is a huge factor in Bazz's success preventing teams from doubling him.

If you guys want to complain about something, the line starts and ends with rebounding.

Reaction Score
He's cut down on mistakes and seems more willing to defer to Bazz when the game is on the line, but he hasn't really taken that big leap from sophomore to junior year that a lot of us were hoping to see in terms of basketball IQ and savvy.

At this point his deficiencies seem to be more physical (undersized on defense, easily bottled up on dribble penetration) than mental.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Considering the massive size advantage FL had, boat played at or above expectations. Did you see how small he looked when two of them would go for the trap?? It looked like 2 bullies going after the last kid to go through puberty on the playground.

Reaction Score
I really don't see him as a defensive liability. He gives a lot of effort(a lot more than past years) and he's really good at running ball handlers off of ball screens.

Reaction Score
On the last hoop from the Gators Boat worked his sack off to stay with Frazier and on the 2nd run around the Young pick was just hip'd off the play and got no help from Deandre who should have recognized the necessity to leave his man and didn't.........thought he played hard on both ends. Needs to make more shots and needs to cut the mustard less for sure and just play (the pass to no one because he tried to be sweet is something he needs to do less of).....but overall he has improved on his ability to slow down and stay within the flow. Still a ways to go but I'm glad we have him!

I cringed at that pass but at least you could see what he was going for. He looks much, much better to me. He got guys a bunch of open looks that just didn't fall, and he set up that 4 point play for Shabazz.

Reaction Score
He's cut down on mistakes and seems more willing to defer to Bazz when the game is on the line, but he hasn't really taken that big leap from sophomore to junior year that a lot of us were hoping to see in terms of basketball IQ and savvy.

See, I disagree. When I say that he's slowed his game down considerably, I'm talking about what seems like a pretty pronounced improvement in basketball IQ and reading the game.

Reaction Score
Last year whenever Boat drove into the lane it seemed like the only thing he had on his mind was putting up a shot. This year he's getting in the lane and/or weaving through the baselines and finding shooters on the wings, its a complete 180 in his offensive approach. If he can just combine his improved passing skills with the midrange game he showed freshman year he will be deadly.

Reaction Score
I cringed at that pass but at least you could see what he was going for. He looks much, much better to me. He got guys a bunch of open looks that just didn't fall, and he set up that 4 point play for Shabazz.

He was better than people would give him credit for......funny thing is he's struggling to make shots like Calhoun but he's doing the "other things" which keep him on the court.....when they start falling for him everyone will start getting better!

Reaction Score
boatright is fascinating to watch, an absolute blur in the open court and also a defensive playmaker, he picks up the opponents best guard every game. he's also has played pass first, very lethal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom