Boatright Vs Gilbert Comparison | The Boneyard

Boatright Vs Gilbert Comparison

Reaction Score
A lot of you think Gilbert is great and is destined for the NBA.
I don't see it. They are very similar players in my mind
Boat was Tough, Gritty, and hit the big shot when needed and was a veery good defender.
I see the same in Gilbert.
The reason I do not see the NBA in his future is similar to Boat.
Undersized, gets lost in the paint and forces the action a little to mush at times. I love both players but never thought stardom for them. What are everyones thoughts.

caw

Reaction Score
AG has what appears to be longer arms which could help him a bit. He also looks a lot stronger/bigger in the shoulders and upper body. Not sure he has the same handle as Boat but he appears to be a better passer and a bit more North-South with his dribble. Just my opinion based on 6ish games a year from AG. On the flip side he has missed a serious amount of time and looks like he’s off a beat at times.

Reaction Score
Boat was Tough, Gritty, and hit the big shot when needed and was a veery good defender.
Undersized, gets lost in the paint and forces the action a little to mush at times. I love both players but never thought stardom for them. What are everyones thoughts.

In the past 3 years Alterique has had 3 shoulder surgeries and played in only 15 games and he’s ‘only’ going to be as good as one of UConns top 10 pgs of all time.

We have no idea how good he can be.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I think people who know the NBA would say that he has a lot of strong headwinds. In short (no pun intended):
  • He's very short
  • He's had a loooong injury history
  • And he is old for a prospect as a result
As far as a comparison to Boat goes, he is similar body-wise, but their games are different.
  • Gilbert is a bit quieter but powerful leader, while Boat is louder, more showy, and outwardly aggressive
  • Boat shines as a pure scorer, less so as a pure PG. Gilbert is the ultimate floor general, with the ability to run pure point, or take over as a scorer when necessary.
  • Boat is an elite defender of all players (see Wilbekin). Gilbert looks to be a very good defender, but I don't think we know how he'll do against the best and/or biggest players. Boat proved himself against the most elite competition, in the biggest situations.
  • As a rebounder, I'd give the edge to Boat, but that's not an insult to AG. I just think Boat's pure ferocity and highest of high end athleticism might give him an edge. AG can still prove me wrong of course, but from what I've seen, it's Boat.
  • AG is a better passer. Not much more needs to be said about that.
But AG is essentially a double-redshirt freshman, and far lesser men have proved me wrong before. Pulling for him.

He's barely played for UCONN, and he's already one of my all time favorites. I love his attitude and perseverance. Maybe, by the time he's done, he matches my personal FOAT, Caron Butler. He has many of the same qualities Caron brought to the table (attitude, perseverance, balls, intelligence, maturity etc).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gilbert reminds me of freshman Kemba.

Very fast, over penetrates and gets himself in trouble under the basket. Still working on his outside shot. Active on the ball defender. Biggest need is knowing when to go slow and how to change speeds.

He didn’t shoot too well against Iowa, but he’s still shooting 43% from 3 for the year.

Reaction Score
they have similar handles and similar demeanor. boatright i think was a more difficult defender because he was all up in the defenders grille non stop.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gilbert reminds me of freshman Kemba.

Very fast, over penetrates and gets himself in trouble under the basket. Still working on his outside shot. Active on the ball defender. Biggest need is knowing when to go slow and how to change speeds.

Very few freshman know how to change pace correctly. Shabazz difference between Freshman and Senior year was astronomical.

Only player I can think of coming in with this ability absolutely mastered is the kid at Zona. Nico Mannion.

Reaction Score
I think people who know the NBA would say that he has a lot of strong headwinds. In short (no pun intended):
  • He's very short
  • He's had a loooong injury history
  • And he is old for a prospect as a result
As far as a comparison to Boat goes, he is similar body-wise, but their games are different.
  • Gilbert is a bit quieter but powerful leader, while Boat is louder, more showy, and outwardly aggressive
  • Boat shines as a pure scorer, less so as a pure PG. Gilbert is the ultimate floor general, with the ability to run pure point, or take over as a scorer when necessary.
  • Boat is an elite defender of all players (see Wilbekin). Gilbert looks to be a very good defender, but I don't think we know how he'll do against the best and/or biggest players. Boat proved himself against the most elite competition, in the biggest situations.
  • As a rebounder, I'd give the edge to Boat, but that's not an insult to AG. I just think Boat's pure ferocity and highest of high end athleticism might give him an edge. AG can still prove me wrong of course, but from what I've seen, it's Boat.
  • AG is a better passer. Not much more needs to be said about that.
But AG is essentially a double-redshirt freshman, and far lesser men have proved me wrong before. Pulling for him.

He's barely played for UCONN, and he's already one of my all time favorites. I love his attitude and perseverance. Maybe, by the time he's done, he matches my personal FOAT, Caron Butler. He has many of the same qualities Caron brought to the table (attitude, perseverance, balls, intelligence, maturity etc).
Agree with a lot of this. I love Gilbert's demeanor. I think he has a crazy bright future barring injury.

Reaction Score
I don't remember a lot or really anyone talking about Gilbert being destined for the NBA. Can you point me to it? I think he will be a great player, he's just getting started and is far from being a finished product.

Reaction Score
Boatright is my favorite Husky of All-time and I think by the time he graduates, Gilbert will be the better player. My biggest critique of Boat was his senior year, he didn’t really make everyone around him better. He was pretty much a defender and volume scorer. He didn’t have much to work with but still. Gilbert seems to make everyone on the court better. With more experience, he shot will improve and he will only get better as a defender. Let’s not forget this is (hopefully) his first full season in 3 years. He’s going to be a beast

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CV is a better Boatright comparison. We haven't seen enough from Gilbert to make any comparisons.

Reaction Score
The big difference between them is Gilbert is a natural PG although he needs to improve his passing while RB was forced to learn PG out of necessity.Making guys better is a a gift. I believe that RB is able to earn substantial money overseas because he was able to make that transition.
Gilbert’s down side similar to RB is their size and that’s a very large handicap.
If Gilbert can become a better distributor and a lights out shooter he probably has a slightly better chance than RB to get drafted simply because he is a true PG.
Height discrimination is very acceptable in the NBA .

pj

Reaction Score
The big advantage Gilbert has over Boatright is he's a natural distributor. He's canny, sees the whole court, and makes good passes. Boatright was always a scorer and the point guard's game didn't come naturally to him. Look up the video of Jim Calhoun yelling "Hit him you m****cker" to Boatright when he was taking too long to pass, first missing a chance to pass to Jeremy Lamb off a screen, then slow to give to a big man with position. That was Boatright's weakness in a nutshell. For a small guy to make the NBA, he has to be a great distributor.

It's too early to tell whether Gilbert will make the NBA, but an ability to defend, lead the team, create, distribute, and hit 43% on 3's gives him a chance.

Calhoun to Boatright:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boatright had amazing physical gifts. His vertical was out of this world. Gilbert is very quick but not in the same league athletically as Boat. Boatright was a high school 40 point machine. He completely carried his high school team as a scorer.

AG is a more complete basketball player. No doubt, it will be tough sledding for AG to make the NBA. His size is a huge obstacle to overcome. But the determining factor will be between his ears.

Reaction Score
I don't remember a lot or really anyone talking about Gilbert being destined for the NBA. Can you point me to it? I think he will be a great player, he's just getting started and is far from being a finished product.
Mcdonalds AA usually destined for NBA

Reaction Score

Did you really wake up and post this?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Stop this comparison right now... these players aren't really similar at all at this current stage in their careers...

Reaction Score
Wish AG would use that great flooter that he has it would open up the inside more also the stutter hesitation move AG has is awsome. It will come as he gets his feet on the ground.
Love both players AG high on leadership but must be more tenatious to catch up to RB D.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom